Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Multi Store Leader

Pros

The pay and benefits are good, for better or for worse the company is growing and changing. Support partners are generally competent and often outstanding. The product itself is is a joy to represent with more significant innovations on the way. The stores are located within retail power zones, enabling Multi Store Leaders to be aware of late breaking trends and broad changes. If you pay attention, there is important and meaningful work to be done.

Cons

The pressure is relentless and the budgeting, while not as bad as some would think, is questionable. Senior management is bureaucratic and incapable of self scrutiny-the business itself is highly fluid and driven by elite sales processes. It requires multiple years to establish whether or not a given leader and their team is good or has the potential to be good; management makes critical promotions based on short term outcomes. Long term underperformance is rife as a consequence and likely to become worse.

Advice to Management

Because of the elite nature of individual store teams and how much they influence overall results, mistakes are impossible to hide at Sleep Number and come with serious consequences.

May 7, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for posting your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your positive feedback on the product and stores as well as your concerns surrounding management and promotion decisions. This ... More

Great company to work for. If you have any experience in sales, it's a cakewalk.

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Great monetary compensation for the amount of actual work involved, and full benefits after six months. There also exists good potential for advancement. Plain and simple: this is as good as it gets in retail sales.

Cons

The company has an unnatural obsession with its own corny corporate jargon. Often times more emphasis is placed on adherence to loosely defined positive verbiage than actual sales. This is especially true of the district management.

Advice to Management

Micromanagement, and the aforementioned emphasis on corporate jargon are often times counter productive when it comes to motivating teams. As a direct result, in every store I've worked I've heard strong cynicism towards upper management.

Apr 17, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

We are so pleased to hear that you are enjoying your experience with Sleep Number and appreciate the work that you do daily for our customers! Thank you for sharing your concerns as well; these will ... More

3. Good Company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product and team work.

Cons

Trade shows are hard work and many times thankless.

Advice to Management

NA

Apr 24, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for posting your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our products and your team! We also appreciate your feedback on trade/home shows and will share this with our partners ... More

Management just doesn't get it, and could care less.

Former Employee - Sales Person
    Former Employee - Sales Person

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no more pros. It's because all the true pros at Sleep Number have either headed for the exit, or they want to ASAP.

Cons

I don't have time to list all the cons. Read the other reviews, as most are accurate. I'll agree with another poster that the positive reviews are being posted from the corporate offices. Until not long ago, it was okay. And the timeline of reviews on Glassdoor will indicate that. Sad.

Advice to Management

Quit. And hopefully they'll replace you with people who care about bettering the product, and who actually care about other people.

May 29, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for posting your feedback. We pride ourselves at Sleep Number in taking care of our customers and employees. If you would like to further discuss your concerns please feel free to contact ... More

bad products bad leadership

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the review requires more words here was going to leave blank because sleep number has no pros

Cons

way to many management, pay, product, lies, it's a sham. snake oil sales people

Advice to Management

shut the place down

May 26, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

It sounds as though you have quite a few concerns in your Chicago location. Please feel free to reach out directly to me at careers@selectcomfort.com to further discuss your concerns as we ... More

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SBN training process Selling techniques Small showrooms Small working groups The ability to continue to build rapport with SN customers The overall Sleep Number mission

Cons

Poor superior (district manager) and store level leadership, whom showed very little support to advancing career growth opportunities within company Sleep Number is a great company, if it had not of been for the very poor leadership I would still be there passionately selling by numbers. I enjoyed my time there and will carry the experience and selling skills I gained with me in my new career.

Advice to Management

If a DM takes over a store, the DM should model the similar managerial character as that of the previous DM

Not the same great place it used to be. Avoid at all costs.

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I made good money for my city. I loved my coworkers. My bed I bought with the generous employee discount is nice.

Cons

I was a bed salesperson, and sold a lot. But my inability to lose my conscience and sell mediocre quality, but awfully overpriced, sheets and pillows led to unnecessary pressure from the district manager. She always had advice that sounded ridiculous, and refused to demonstrate how to do it with a real customer. Our old DM would and could do it, and then ring the sale for one of us. I don't think she is in touch with retail floor reality, and is unable to really sell. Sleep IQ pressure also drove me out. I can't sell what I think is a crock.

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots. It was FANTASTIC in the old days.

May 26, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear the pros that you have shared but would also like to discuss with you the cons. Sleep Number does provide quality products to our customers to ... More

Sleep Associate

Pros

Great place to work and great co workers

Cons

High goals some months that are not realistic

Apr 24, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, we always enjoy hearing how much people enjoy working for Sleep Number and with their teams! We also appreciate your feedback on the monthly ... More

If you've ever wanted to be a robot, this is the place for you.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

There is - or at least was - decent income potential, despite all the hurdles. If you're in the right store with the right manager (one like me), it can be bearable.

Cons

This company is shooting itself in the foot on so many things: 1. The beds (which continue to be overpriced for a glorified air mattress) have a decent market. They have fans, and that's what has grown the business. The focus is being put too much on accessories and the Sleep IQ app, which isn't living up to the hype. Good longtime phenomonel salespeople are leaving, or looking to leave, because of the pressure to concentrate on things besides the core product. 2. Too many leaders (like my MSL) are being brought in from not only outside the company, but outside the entire industry. These people are like Stepford Wives in pushing corporate propaganda and telling us how things should be. Yet they couldn't sell John or Jane Doe anything if their lives depended on it. 3. Scripted sales methods don't work. While it is great to have a planned presentation, the corporate robots don't realize that their scripted approach will have the majority of potential buyers heading for the exit. 4. Good people are leaving because of being cheated out of their commissions for a $10 checkout error in the drop-down menu. As most other companies' point-of-sale systems don't even have the ability to ring the wrong price, I can't help but believe that this is deliberate to save payroll dollars. 5. This company that claims to be a leader in cutting-edge technologies won't even let us email customers from the retail stores - the method most of them would prefer to be contacted with offers, etc. I think I've mentioned enough for now, even though there are more cons.

Advice to Management

Correct the cons listed above. You currently are behaving like once-great companies that are now dead or dying. And, please, don't follow this review with the canned happy talk responses I see on other Sleep Number Glassdoor reviews.

May 18, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for posting your feedback. Sleep Number prides themselves in the quality and comfort of our beds and the ability that they have to improve sleep experiences. The added accessory items ... More

Retentions Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a decent job for an entry level person. They try to be fun and they are better than most call centers in a lot of ways. On the floor, the morale is good and people are typically in a good mood.

Cons

NO WORK LIFE BALANCE! They have a point system that is very unforgiving. They do try to allow "roll offs" but it doesn't feel good to get points even when you are trying to plan ahead and then you can't take a day that you have to take (ie to attend a wedding, or special event, or a near death emergency occurs) because someone else is already off on that day. Some supervisors will work you and let you make up your time so for instance if you take this day or this time, we need you to come in on your off day and we call it even. Others will NOT and go strictly by the book. This makes it very difficult to plan family time or be a part of fun events. If you are deathly ill and do NOT have PTO or you have accumilated quite a few points already, you MUST still show up to work sick as a dog, or else get fired! One guy did that recently and then got several others on the team sick and they were out for about three days each as well! Also it can be hard to move up in customer service. Once you get through all of the positions in the call center you typically are finished. There are many people stuck in the call center with Bachelor's and Masters who have not been able to move out into the "true corporate jobs" which are in the headquater building outside the call center positions ie marketing, human capital, etc.

Advice to Management

Revamp your attendance policy. I understand you must make it "fair" and conducive for the business needs, but the point system does not give enough room for the unexpected things in life You have lost good people over this system, and with the amount of information needed to do this job; you need to try to retain the tenured people who have the historical knowledge to train the new comers.

Apr 17, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your feedback and will share your concerns regarding the attendance policy and advancement opportunities with the ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed