Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated October 16, 2014
2.9

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Honestly, the WORST leadership I have ever experienced

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None really. Except may some good quality co-workers.

Cons

Select Comfort wants to control everything you do. Sales goals are the only focus. Next to never promotions from within the company. Independent thinking is frowned upon, just do as you are told. Most upper management is out of touch with the stores and have little to no interpersonal skills. Have lost countless good quality people because of poor leadership and the wrong people in management. Here it is: when you have management who use themselves as the standard, and that standard is incompetent, you multiply that incompetentcy over and over. Just ask any ex-employee. Selling high end product is not easy and the company could care less if you leave. This is the truth folks.

Resign and start over with good quality people in all management postions

Great Company

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Having customers come back to you and tell you how much they love their new bed and how much better they feel after getting the sleep they were looking for.

Cons

Goal expectations were jumped way up over the previous years numbers which made it exceptionally hard to reach.

Nov 22, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for your review! It's great to see that you experienced first hand how customers benefit from the Sleep Number bed.

Home Deliver7

Current Employee - Home Deliver in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Home Deliver in Portland, OR

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ok its an ok job, lack of tools, great co workers, ok pay

Cons

not the best pay, ok job, not the worst job, ok job, ok pay

Give guys most tools have lots of fun

Local management can make or break your experience

Former Employee - Sleep Associate
    Former Employee - Sleep Associate

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

fun, competitive, liked working trade shows, got to meet a lot of people

Cons

rules changed by the day, goals are outrageous, not team oriented

be consistent, be fair, be positive, give reinforcement, train your employees, don't hang them out to dry

Nov 22, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience as a Sleep Number employee!

Great working environment--I wish I'd found Sleep Number years ago

Current Employee - Human Resources in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been working for Sleep Number for just over a year. It has been a wonderful place to work and I only wish I'd found it much sooner than I did. The hiring process can be a bit demanding and they are very selective, but if you can get in the door, do it! Compensation and benefits are great. Work is rewarding and valued. I love coming into work!

• Environment is clean, modern, and well-kept
    • Colleagues are a joy to work with
    • Innovative culture makes it easy to stay excited about working here
    • I'm valued for my individual strengths
    • Great work-life balance
    • Supportive culture

Cons

• Some of upper management sometimes feels a little out of touch with the "worker bees" -- it might do them good to build rapport beyond their direct reports

What happened?!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Good, but very overpriced product. Helping people sleep better and improve lives in some cases.

Cons

Can be incredibly boring, can go hours to whole days without a customer. While the CEO can blame poor sales on the economic climate, we are blamed for lack of sales . Very little advertising, endless phone calls to the same disinterested call lists. Constantly coming out with new, over priced "innovations" that invariably fail, todays greatest product ever is next year's discontinued item. District managers rule by intimidation, and while managers are generally coddled, have the best schedules and lower goals, they have the same amount of time on the floor, and compete for their own sales, and care little for their staff'success.Sales goals unrealistic. The only way to make any money is to be 140% to goal, and tiers are not retroactive to dollar one.Feel the company is in a free fall,and and the future is bleak.

Makes sales goals realistic, stop the intimidation and micro managing, make the pay scale a
     true tiered system,lower prices, advertise,Stop the over emphasis on sales of $200 pillows and $1700 heating-cooling mattress pads, basically take care of their dedicated and talented sales force.

Older employees

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

The company pay is very good.

Cons

The company will find a reason to terminate you once you reach a certain age.

Oct 31, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your opinion on glassdoor. I’m sorry to see your perception about our termination practices. Sleep Number strictly prohibits any form of unlawful discrimination, including ... More

Great people, good company culture, flawed product and lack of growth

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Plymouth, MN

Pros

Smart friendly culture. Great people who really care about each other. Well thought out and executed training program. Good benefits and 401k.

Cons

The new CEO is leading the company in a bad direction. Lack of focus on the customer is starting to show in the sales and word of mouth.

A great place to make a difference!

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The environment is welcome to new ideas, expects your opinion and suggestions on how to improve our processes, and demands us to give our best for our customers.

Cons

I wish I would have joined the company earlier!

Keep informing us of what is coming and challenging us to be our best.

Oct 1, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience. Your feedback is certainly appreciated!

STAY AWAY!!!!! Poor upper management and constant sales theft from other employees

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There weren't any major pros to the position.

Cons

Company pins employees against each other to get sales by any means possible causing constant tension amung stores and sales people. There is no work life balance, you work 50-60 hours a week to be successful and some district managers will question you taking your day off. Belittling by your direct report boss who has no knowledge of the job in general. There is never any positive encouragement but constant attempts to break you down. Store manager is just a title, you can't hire, fire, suggest changes, or have any input into what your store does. One size fits all budgeting for every market.

Look deeper into who you hire as leadership. Yelling at employees and telling them they are dumb when clearly they are much more intelligent than the person yelling is no recipe for success. People are more successful when they are appreciated for beating sales from prior years and listen to store managers as they know the business climate in their market best.

Nov 5, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to see that you did not feel there were any pros to working for Sleep Number, and would like to understand more about your comments. Please reach ... More

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos