Sleep Train Mattress Centers

Updated September 24, 2014
Updated September 24, 2014
3.7

Dale R Carlsen

Pros
  • just started with sleep train and so impressed with the leadership and training program (in 7 reviews)

• Employee owned (of course of you've been here at least a year) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, some stores are slower than others so it can limit your commission (in 15 reviews)

• Long Days (11 hour shifts, but still only working 40 hours a week) (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for as long as you put in 110% effort!

Current Employee - Store Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee owned (of course of you've been here at least a year)
    401k match
    Good salary
    Company will take care of you if you produce. For those that say that Sleep Train favors people. Maybe those people are making the company money instead of costing them money! Crazy concept.
    People that you work with are great! While hiring new team members the district sales and training managers look for them to pass the "11 hour test". basically can you see yourself hanging out with the person for 11 hours!
    Some say that you have to kiss butt if you want to work here. Well if your vision doesn't line up with that of the owners of coursethey aren't crazy about it. How would you feel if you owned a company and someone refused to do what you've asked of them?

Cons

As most sales jobs when customers have long weekends (holidays) off we're working. If there is proper staffing however you may get a couple of them off. Those that complain about working every one of these weekends have most likely never asked for one off.
    Long hours. Sometimes open until 9pm
    Very little 401k match (.10/$1) but that's why we have esop
    Insurance is unbelievable for those that work here. My family has other insurance due to higher than desired prices for them. I'm indifferent here because if the company provided insurance to everyone's families then our company's value would go down.

Let the Store Managers have input on those that get hired and those that don't. We're the ones that will be working with them everyday.
    Less sales metrics to be focused on. More focus on selling mattresses. Sometimes even when we're hitting our sales goals it gets overlooked because of some minor metric that was missed.
    Other than that, great job guys. I have fun here, we sure know how to celebrate and that's what life's all about!

Sales Associate.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training is very good. It a very intensive 4 week training plus additional help once you are out on the floor. It is commission based so the harder you work the more it will pay off. However when it is slow it is not great. Everyone in the company is very friendly and wants you to do well.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much down time especially when you are working long hours and no customers come in and there is a lack of opportunities. You don't get weekends off which is not the norm for some other jobs. You still get two days off which makes it slightly better.

To have management take a hand in helping in hiring process because they know what works well in stores.

Double standards and favoritism

Former Employee - Peon in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Peon in Hayward, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good discount on product. Company seems legitimate at first but you find out soon it's a lot of lies. Maybe Mattress Firm with fix this disfunctional cesspool of favoritism.

Cons

It's never about what you do or how good you are at your job. You can get fired or demoted for doing things that everyone else does. If you don't suck up or kiss butt, different rules get applied to you. If you call someone on their BS they retaliate even though they say they have a no retaliation policy. What a joke.

Quit lying and get rid of the buddy system in your manager hierarchy. This goes all the way to the top. I had to deal with regional and district managers who were totally unfair and played favorites. Totally ridiculous.

Good company, good pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, excellent training, 401k matching, ESOP, medical, dental,

Cons

long hours, some stores are slower than others so it can limit your commission

Love my job, but its still a job.

Pros

Money and Company Culture is pretty good

Cons

Work / Life balance and favoritism

Don't let this company fool you

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The first year I worked here, they made it seem so great. They buy you lunch often, they train well, the pay is decent. You get some pretty nice benefits. I thought I would never leave.

Cons

VERY political.
    VERY Unethical
    NO work/life balance
    NO lunch break
    10 min break every 4 hours

This is the most political company Ive ever worked for as well as one of the least ethical. Political in the sense that if you are not kissing the higher ups bum all the time, you won't get anywhere. They don't care how much hard work you put in, if you're not a favorite, don't expect to get a promotion. If you don't get wasted with the higher ups, don't expect to get promoted. If you work your bum off and crush every expectation, don't expect to get recognized.

As far as how ethical they are, on a scale of 0 to 10 (zero being not ethical at all) They would be a zero or at very least a 1. They will use every excuse to fire you. You don't get the feeling that you may lose your job at any time but I've seen many people get let go for extremely stupid reasons and other people keep their jobs for extremely terrible situations.

You can do drugs and if they catch you, you will get a warning. You can sleep with your superiors and they may fire you but they will hire you right back. And guess what, you will even get a promotion. Seen both of these happen while i was working here.This goes back to playing favorites.

AS far as actually working here, expect to work 11 hour days and get no break to leave the store. You can take one 10 minute break every 4 hours but you can't leave the store. Prepare to sit there for 11 hours and see no one. You will have NO work life balance.

Get your act together and stop playing favorites. Fire people for doing extreme unethical stuff and don't fire people because you don't like them and are looking for reasons to do so. Reward employees who deserve it and not employees who you want to boost their moral. People who do well need moral boosts occasionally too. Promote the right person for the job, not your buddy.

Store Leader at Sleep Train

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time

Pros

-Initial Advancement Opportunity
    -Flexibility
    -Great Co-Owners
    -Management that actually cares
    -Salary based on skill, not set at hourly wage
    -Great benefits!
    -ESOP
    -Company Culture and inclusion

Cons

-Favoritism
    -Plateau of advancement opportunities once a leadership position is obtained
    -No Weekends
    -Work/Life balance hard to maintain because of VERY long hours

Although "technically" your people can occasionally take a weekend off by policy, when they try to it is so frowned upon and so hard to find coverage it is basically banned. Having floating staff/part time to allow coverage for your employees and team members to manage a better work/life balance would significantly improve the culture.

I didn't know it when I was hired but I could not have imagined a better place to work than Sleep Train.

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One of few companies out there that truly cares about its employees. Aside from good compensation and benefits offered by the company, there are many appreciation events for the employees. this truly is a family atmosphere in a fairly large company and a place that I enjoy working at every single day. When I was hired I was simply looking for a job and it working here has been better than any job I could have imagined and has turned into a fantastic career.

Always a lot of opportunities for advancement for those looking to build a career or even a resume for future jobs. This company has some of the absolute best sales training anywhere and employees who get through it and gain some experience tend to have very successful careers within the company and have no trouble landing another sales job if they ever decide to leave.

Every employee is part owner! This essentially provides a free retirement account for any long term employee on top of a 401k match.

Cons

Not many. Only thing I can think of is that we change rapidly quite frequently. Only a con if you have trouble adapting to new things. To me though, the change keeps everything fresh so I don't personally view it as a con.

Don't have anything really. Upper management is constantly trying to improve the company and the lives of the individuals working here.

Great company and great people.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

just started with sleep train and so impressed with the leadership and training program. It is by far one of the best I have seen. Everyone is so vested in your success. Positive atmosphere and lots of growth potential.

Cons

Lots of studying but worth it.

None.

Very fun company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company does a lot together so your coworkers feel like family. Good pay and it's pretty easy to move up.

Cons

There's a lot of down time in the stores which was a good for me going to school but sometimes got a little boring.

Sleep Train Mattress Centers Photos