Sleep Train Mattress Centers

Updated April 15, 2015
63 reviews filtered by
3.7
Dale R Carlsen

Pros
  • just started with sleep train and so impressed with the leadership and training program (in 8 reviews)

• Employee owned (of course of you've been here at least a year) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, some stores are slower than others so it can limit your commission (in 17 reviews)

• Long Days (11 hour shifts, but still only working 40 hours a week) (in 8 reviews)

1. Sleep Expert

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits including 401k, Dental, Medical, Visual, & Life insurance .
    Pay is above average.
    Opportunity to move up with merger with MFRM.
    Great leaders and training, initial training is almost 2 months long.

Cons

Weekends mandatory.
    Commission doesn't start until after 2 months of training/ supervised selling.
    ESOP Program lost with merger.

Advice to Management

Don't lose Dales vision with the merger although he's still heavily involved in the company. It seems they are slowly taking away important things.

2. It's cool

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers

Pros

No salary cap on commissions, ESOP, 401(k), great benefits.

Cons

No work/life balance at all. Work started for me at 9:45 a.m all the way to 8 p.m. Slow days are really slow, high volume days are really fast.

Advice to Management

You guys were cool.

3. Gray company overall but can be hard to get work life balance

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and easy work

Cons

Poor hours and have to work weekends

5. Great people, great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company was recently acquired by Mattress Firm and now part of the largest mattress retailer in the States
    Great people to work with at corporate office, people are self motivated, work hard and help each other
    Lots of charitable causes, both Sleep Train and Mattress Firm support many charities
    Free tickets to concerts and sporting events
    Most departments have it together and support each other
    Nice, new corporate office in Rocklin, CA
    Awesome rewards for top performers (bonuses and yearly trip to Hawaii)

Cons

Uncertainty with being acquired by Mattress Firm
    Lots of shifting in management due to acquisition, LOTS on politics and now fragmented teams
    Severe lack of vision for emerging tech and the future
    Low pay for hourly corporate employees with little chance for advancement
    Rewards and recognition go to the same "favorite" employees every year

Advice to Management

Low morale after acquisition in many departments. Spend time checking in with all teams (more than just a yearly survey).
    Continue work with charitable causes.
    Find better ways to get feedback on productive corporate employees other than an email survey that half the execs don't even participate in. Have employees survey their peers since execs are never around anyway.

Don't be fooled!

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co workers. Health benefits were good.

Cons

Mid to C level management are detached from the actual business. Long hours, low pay. Questionable labor practice, no meal breaks even on 12 hours days. Poor handling of personal. Nepotism and favoritism up and down this company. Does not value long tenured employees. It's ok to be drug addict or a drunk if you hit your sales goal, it's not ok to be drug free, dependable long tenured employee if your numbers are bad even by less than 1%. The only reason I stayed with this company for 8 years was the down time allowed me to study for the BAR. The benefits were good, with the ACA(Obamacare) there is no need to work 14 hours just for benefits anymore. This organization will feed you lies about the grandeur of their culture and exploits much like a Cult does, to the 20 something the delusional tales work until one day you wake up and see through the fog and haze. The day I resigned about 8 years of service, I felt liberated even though I would be unemployed for a short time. Advice to potential employees, use this job don't let it use you, this Company does not offer a career...just a job. Goodbye and good riddance, thanks for the memories.

Advice to Management

Valued your store level staff, the sales staff are the ONLY people who generate revenue, all other staff including the warehouse and mid managers are expenses.

7. If you want to try your hand at sales, it's a good place to learn

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time

Pros

-The training program is fantastic. The best I ever experienced. I had no sales experience and I really learned a lot.
    -The pay is pretty darn good. I lived comfortably while working there
    -Lots of down-time. Would be good for someone who likes to read, write, or is maybe taking an online college course
    -Benefits offered were solid
    -Easy advancement opportunities if your numbers are good. I saw people get promoted very

Cons

-You have to go to a month long training course in San Leandro, and you aren't making any commission during that time, so money is tight at first.
    -The hours can be long and depressing. If you need weekends off, forget about it. Those are the busiest days and everybody works them.
    -If you're in a sales slump, it's always your fault. I had a loved one pass away, and the management seemed like they wanted to care, but weren't allowed to. It's numbers, numbers, numbers!

Advice to Management

Could be better at adjusting goals. Keep up the good training.

8. Great company!

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people and they will train you on how to sell.

Cons

You need to be outgoing and work with all types of people.

Advice to Management

Keep driving the train like you have since day one. Ownership cared so much about the employees that a big chunk of the company was sold to the employees! Amazing!

Revolving Door of New Hires, and they profess to not understand why that is.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

you will have steady income for at least 1 year.

Cons

After that point, if you can't go above a certain level of sales, your fired. However, once you have developed the perfect rhythm in your starting location, they then immediately make you start all over again at a new location. The people who run the company don't seem to understand how a sales person's mojo works. Their sales goals are outrageously unreachable for the average jo, and people in that company are always stealing your sales. Some people in the company have "special privileges" based on outside relationships. So you can suck as a sales person and a manager but you won't get fired. Lesson here? Sleep with management, because those special privilege people are the only ones that matter to them.

Advice to Management

Your course that you make people take to improve their sales is a joke. Your just buying them time to get their sales up, which you wouldn't need to do if you stopped moving them around.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers end up being your friends and drinking buddies, but other than that there is not many pros.

Cons

- Extremely long and unreasonable hours.
    - No stability in present positions. It is very easy for the management to demote an employee or move them to a "slow-no" volume store.
    - Tax and commission break down is horrible. Only a few people manage to sustain a feasible income.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about semantics and whether our shirts are ironed. Pay attention to your employees who put money in your pocket. Have realistic expectations and a game plan on how your team can achieve. Quit having a two-faced paradigm with hidden agendas.

Do not be fooled.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good products and good discounts for employees. I used to think the top level people were very smart and knew what they were doing but now that Sleep Train was taken over by Mattress Firm, I can see they have just been copying Mattress Firm for years. There are no original ideas in this organization, only copying Mattress Firm.

Cons

Unethical if not blatantly liars. Everything with this company is exaggeration and borderline false or lying. It starts with the advertising for their job positions and even the ratings on this jobs board. They regularly cook the books on surveys and reviews so I would not be surprised if they have their own people coming on this site to talk about how great it is just to look good. They do the same thing with the local media surveys. They send out daily companywide emails when these contests are being held that urge us to go vote for ourselves as the best place for a mattress then they have the nerve to post signs on the doors that tell customers "you voted us the best place for a mattress" when it should say "we voted us best place for a mattress"

Aside from that, there is a huge amount of corruption and favoritism in the company's hiring and firing process. Several people with the preferred last names hold positions they are not qualified for while others who do not have those names can demonstrate clearly they are the best for certain things and then get passed over without ever being told why they were passed over in favor of someone with one of the preferred names. This is most obvious when relatives with different names also get preferential treatment. Totally lame business practice if you are trying to do things in a way that makes the company better. It is like a big club and if you are not a relative or spouse, you have no chance to get in.

Another favorite con are the region and district level managers who are so arrogant they think that running contests where the prize is to go hang out with them is worth competing for. This kind of arrogance is only made worse by the stupidity of the contests that have so many qualifying conditions that need to be met it is a wonder anyone can even tell if they are going to win or not. They think they are the leaders of a cult or something, making up stupid little pictures with their face photoshopped in on sports teams uniforms and things like that. No one cares about them, they are just so full of themselves that they think it is especially cool. I can't tell you how great it was to quit this dump. Good riddance Sleep Train!

Advice to Management

I really do not care. Your blatant mismanagement , including letting obvisouly unqualified people make important decisions forced you to sell out to the company that if it existed would put you out of business. It didn't just put you out of business, it owns you now. Sleep Train deserves to go down in history as a company that started with a great idea and ended because of mismanagement and lack of original ideas. To bad.

Sleep Train Mattress Centers Photos