Sleep Train Mattress Centers

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
3.5

Dale R Carlsen

Pros
  • just started with sleep train and so impressed with the leadership and training program (in 8 reviews)

• Employee owned (of course of you've been here at least a year) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, some stores are slower than others so it can limit your commission (in 17 reviews)

• Long Days (11 hour shifts, but still only working 40 hours a week) (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company!

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people and they will train you on how to sell.

Cons

You need to be outgoing and work with all types of people.

Keep driving the train like you have since day one. Ownership cared so much about the employees that a big chunk of the company was sold to the employees! Amazing!

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers end up being your friends and drinking buddies, but other than that there is not many pros.

Cons

- Extremely long and unreasonable hours.
    - No stability in present positions. It is very easy for the management to demote an employee or move them to a "slow-no" volume store.
    - Tax and commission break down is horrible. Only a few people manage to sustain a feasible income.

Stop worrying about semantics and whether our shirts are ironed. Pay attention to your employees who put money in your pocket. Have realistic expectations and a game plan on how your team can achieve. Quit having a two-faced paradigm with hidden agendas.

Do not be fooled.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good products and good discounts for employees. I used to think the top level people were very smart and knew what they were doing but now that Sleep Train was taken over by Mattress Firm, I can see they have just been copying Mattress Firm for years. There are no original ideas in this organization, only copying Mattress Firm.

Cons

Unethical if not blatantly liars. Everything with this company is exaggeration and borderline false or lying. It starts with the advertising for their job positions and even the ratings on this jobs board. They regularly cook the books on surveys and reviews so I would not be surprised if they have their own people coming on this site to talk about how great it is just to look good. They do the same thing with the local media surveys. They send out daily companywide emails when these contests are being held that urge us to go vote for ourselves as the best place for a mattress then they have the nerve to post signs on the doors that tell customers "you voted us the best place for a mattress" when it should say "we voted us best place for a mattress"

Aside from that, there is a huge amount of corruption and favoritism in the company's hiring and firing process. Several people with the preferred last names hold positions they are not qualified for while others who do not have those names can demonstrate clearly they are the best for certain things and then get passed over without ever being told why they were passed over in favor of someone with one of the preferred names. This is most obvious when relatives with different names also get preferential treatment. Totally lame business practice if you are trying to do things in a way that makes the company better. It is like a big club and if you are not a relative or spouse, you have no chance to get in.

Another favorite con are the region and district level managers who are so arrogant they think that running contests where the prize is to go hang out with them is worth competing for. This kind of arrogance is only made worse by the stupidity of the contests that have so many qualifying conditions that need to be met it is a wonder anyone can even tell if they are going to win or not. They think they are the leaders of a cult or something, making up stupid little pictures with their face photoshopped in on sports teams uniforms and things like that. No one cares about them, they are just so full of themselves that they think it is especially cool. I can't tell you how great it was to quit this dump. Good riddance Sleep Train!

I really do not care. Your blatant mismanagement , including letting obvisouly unqualified people make important decisions forced you to sell out to the company that if it existed would put you out of business. It didn't just put you out of business, it owns you now. Sleep Train deserves to go down in history as a company that started with a great idea and ended because of mismanagement and lack of original ideas. To bad.

A large company who needs to learn to listen to it's employees a little better!

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers

Pros

big company
    Large buying power
    does advertising

Cons

Think they know everything and fail to listen to employees just a little better!

They think they wrote the book on retail Management??

Good

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training some good people hire you if you can close regardless of your integrity

Cons

To many managers coaching and micro managing every word you say. A cult

They won't listen they have to justify their jobs

Great place to work

Current Employee - District Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Lots of Deveopment opportunities and great pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours and days off arent really days off

Sales Associate.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The training is very good. It a very intensive 4 week training plus additional help once you are out on the floor. It is commission based so the harder you work the more it will pay off. However when it is slow it is not great. Everyone in the company is very friendly and wants you to do well.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much down time especially when you are working long hours and no customers come in and there is a lack of opportunities. You don't get weekends off which is not the norm for some other jobs. You still get two days off which makes it slightly better.

To have management take a hand in helping in hiring process because they know what works well in stores.

Great company to work for as long as you put in 110% effort!

Current Employee - Store Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Employee owned (of course of you've been here at least a year)
    401k match
    Good salary
    Company will take care of you if you produce. For those that say that Sleep Train favors people. Maybe those people are making the company money instead of costing them money! Crazy concept.
    People that you work with are great! While hiring new team members the district sales and training managers look for them to pass the "11 hour test". basically can you see yourself hanging out with the person for 11 hours!
    Some say that you have to kiss butt if you want to work here. Well if your vision doesn't line up with that of the owners of coursethey aren't crazy about it. How would you feel if you owned a company and someone refused to do what you've asked of them?

Cons

As most sales jobs when customers have long weekends (holidays) off we're working. If there is proper staffing however you may get a couple of them off. Those that complain about working every one of these weekends have most likely never asked for one off.
    Long hours. Sometimes open until 9pm
    Very little 401k match (.10/$1) but that's why we have esop
    Insurance is unbelievable for those that work here. My family has other insurance due to higher than desired prices for them. I'm indifferent here because if the company provided insurance to everyone's families then our company's value would go down.

Let the Store Managers have input on those that get hired and those that don't. We're the ones that will be working with them everyday.
    Less sales metrics to be focused on. More focus on selling mattresses. Sometimes even when we're hitting our sales goals it gets overlooked because of some minor metric that was missed.
    Other than that, great job guys. I have fun here, we sure know how to celebrate and that's what life's all about!

Good company, good pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, excellent training, 401k matching, ESOP, medical, dental,

Cons

long hours, some stores are slower than others so it can limit your commission

Love my job, but its still a job.

Pros

Money and Company Culture is pretty good

Cons

Work / Life balance and favoritism

Sleep Train Mattress Centers Photos