Sleep Train Mattress Centers

www.sleeptrain.com

Sleep Train Mattress Centers Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2014
Sleep Train Mattress Centers – “Inside Store”

Dale R Carlsen

Store Leader at Sleep Train

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Initial Advancement Opportunity
    -Flexibility
    -Great Co-Owners
    -Management that actually cares
    -Salary based on skill, not set at hourly wage
    -Great benefits!
    -ESOP
    -Company Culture and inclusion

Cons-Favoritism
    -Plateau of advancement opportunities once a leadership position is obtained
    -No Weekends
    -Work/Life balance hard to maintain because of VERY long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough "technically" your people can occasionally take a weekend off by policy, when they try to it is so frowned upon and so hard to find coverage it is basically banned. Having floating staff/part time to allow coverage for your employees and team members to manage a better work/life balance would significantly improve the culture.

I didn't know it when I was hired but I could not have imagined a better place to work than Sleep Train.

ProsOne of few companies out there that truly cares about its employees. Aside from good compensation and benefits offered by the company, there are many appreciation events for the employees. this truly is a family atmosphere in a fairly large company and a place that I enjoy working at every single day. When I was hired I was simply looking for a job and it working here has been better than any job I could have imagined and has turned into a fantastic career.

Always a lot of opportunities for advancement for those looking to build a career or even a resume for future jobs. This company has some of the absolute best sales training anywhere and employees who get through it and gain some experience tend to have very successful careers within the company and have no trouble landing another sales job if they ever decide to leave.

Every employee is part owner! This essentially provides a free retirement account for any long term employee on top of a 401k match.

ConsNot many. Only thing I can think of is that we change rapidly quite frequently. Only a con if you have trouble adapting to new things. To me though, the change keeps everything fresh so I don't personally view it as a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have anything really. Upper management is constantly trying to improve the company and the lives of the individuals working here.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company and great people.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosjust started with sleep train and so impressed with the leadership and training program. It is by far one of the best I have seen. Everyone is so vested in your success. Positive atmosphere and lots of growth potential.

ConsLots of studying but worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company great experiences

ProsEmployee owned, Great people, great fun

ConsWe have a great time and celebrate all our wins

Very fun company to work for!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsThe company does a lot together so your coworkers feel like family. Good pay and it's pretty easy to move up.

ConsThere's a lot of down time in the stores which was a good for me going to school but sometimes got a little boring.

great employer

Work At Headquarters (Current Employee) Rocklin, CA

ProsEmployees are valued and treated well, including an employee stock ownership plan. A lot of emphasis is placed on integrity, and company-sponsored social events are common.

ConsLarge size of company creates inevitable challenges, but nothing major..

The Best Job I Have Ever Had!!!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe best thing about Sleep Train is the people and the excellent training. From day 1 the Company brings you into their fantastic culture. The training is top notch and you are given all of the tools that you need to succeed. There is always fun outside of work events going on like retreats, parties, concerts, and sporting events!

ConsIf you do not apply yourself this job can be very difficult. If you want to learn new things and have a desire to make a lot of money this job is awesome.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Great Retail Place To Work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros* Great Competitive Commission Pay. The Harder you work, the MORE you make!
    * Great Benefits; Employee Owned (Partially vested after 2 years, fully vested after 6 years)
    * Upward Mobility (Majority of Promotions are within our own Enterprise)
    * Great Colleagues to work aside
    * Friendly Sales Envoirnment, Not your typical sales envoirnment
    * Annual Contest to Hawaii
    * Celebration is on par
    * Structured Training Program

Cons* Long Days (11 hour shifts, but still only working 40 hours a week)
    * Commission Sales (if you're afraid of taking control of your own money)

Best retail job I've had

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent amount of free time. Co-workers are fun. Not labor intensive. Great training program. Good promotion opportunities both in title and responsibility. Best 401k of ANY company I worked for. My managers legitimately care.

ConsHours are long and no weekends. It is retail. Pay is either high or low. But they did tell me all these things ahead of time. High washout rate. Although they do let you off there is no sick leave. Health coverage is pricy but its free once you become a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know things can difficult considering this business and it is up to us to keep work life balance, but sick time would be nice.

Sales Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was able to take the sales skills I learned at Sleep Train and totally forget everything they taught me in order to crush them as a major competitor, priceless!

ConsLong hours, management has to kiss up with upper management to get anywhere, this job was an absolute joke, it's nice to be working for a competitor that is crushing them on a daily basis

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep training those new hires ! We're always looking for employees:)

Worked for Sleep Train Mattress Centers? Contribute to the Community!