Sleep Train Mattress Centers

Updated April 15, 2015
63 reviews filtered by
3.7
Dale R Carlsen

Pros
  • just started with sleep train and so impressed with the leadership and training program (in 8 reviews)

• Employee owned (of course of you've been here at least a year) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, some stores are slower than others so it can limit your commission (in 17 reviews)

• Long Days (11 hour shifts, but still only working 40 hours a week) (in 8 reviews)

1. Sleep Expert

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits including 401k, Dental, Medical, Visual, & Life insurance .
    Pay is above average.
    Opportunity to move up with merger with MFRM.
    Great leaders and training, initial training is almost 2 months long.

Cons

Weekends mandatory.
    Commission doesn't start until after 2 months of training/ supervised selling.
    ESOP Program lost with merger.

Advice to Management

Don't lose Dales vision with the merger although he's still heavily involved in the company. It seems they are slowly taking away important things.

2. Great people, great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company was recently acquired by Mattress Firm and now part of the largest mattress retailer in the States
    Great people to work with at corporate office, people are self motivated, work hard and help each other
    Lots of charitable causes, both Sleep Train and Mattress Firm support many charities
    Free tickets to concerts and sporting events
    Most departments have it together and support each other
    Nice, new corporate office in Rocklin, CA
    Awesome rewards for top performers (bonuses and yearly trip to Hawaii)

Cons

Uncertainty with being acquired by Mattress Firm
    Lots of shifting in management due to acquisition, LOTS on politics and now fragmented teams
    Severe lack of vision for emerging tech and the future
    Low pay for hourly corporate employees with little chance for advancement
    Rewards and recognition go to the same "favorite" employees every year

Advice to Management

Low morale after acquisition in many departments. Spend time checking in with all teams (more than just a yearly survey).
    Continue work with charitable causes.
    Find better ways to get feedback on productive corporate employees other than an email survey that half the execs don't even participate in. Have employees survey their peers since execs are never around anyway.

3. Great company to work for as long as you put in 110% effort!

Current Employee - Store Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee owned (of course of you've been here at least a year)
    401k match
    Good salary
    Company will take care of you if you produce. For those that say that Sleep Train favors people. Maybe those people are making the company money instead of costing them money! Crazy concept.
    People that you work with are great! While hiring new team members the district sales and training managers look for them to pass the "11 hour test". basically can you see yourself hanging out with the person for 11 hours!
    Some say that you have to kiss butt if you want to work here. Well if your vision doesn't line up with that of the owners of coursethey aren't crazy about it. How would you feel if you owned a company and someone refused to do what you've asked of them?

Cons

As most sales jobs when customers have long weekends (holidays) off we're working. If there is proper staffing however you may get a couple of them off. Those that complain about working every one of these weekends have most likely never asked for one off.
    Long hours. Sometimes open until 9pm
    Very little 401k match (.10/$1) but that's why we have esop
    Insurance is unbelievable for those that work here. My family has other insurance due to higher than desired prices for them. I'm indifferent here because if the company provided insurance to everyone's families then our company's value would go down.

Advice to Management

Let the Store Managers have input on those that get hired and those that don't. We're the ones that will be working with them everyday.
    Less sales metrics to be focused on. More focus on selling mattresses. Sometimes even when we're hitting our sales goals it gets overlooked because of some minor metric that was missed.
    Other than that, great job guys. I have fun here, we sure know how to celebrate and that's what life's all about!

5. Awesome Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-compensation
    -family atmosphere
    -everyone helps you to succeed
    -1 month long training program
    -they teach you how to sell
    -ESOP (employee owned)
    -easy to move up from within

Cons

-you take a pay cut every other position "moving up"
    -long hours

Advice to Management

I love all of my team.

6. Great company and great people.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

just started with sleep train and so impressed with the leadership and training program. It is by far one of the best I have seen. Everyone is so vested in your success. Positive atmosphere and lots of growth potential.

Cons

Lots of studying but worth it.

Advice to Management

None.

I didn't know it when I was hired but I could not have imagined a better place to work than Sleep Train.

Pros

One of few companies out there that truly cares about its employees. Aside from good compensation and benefits offered by the company, there are many appreciation events for the employees. this truly is a family atmosphere in a fairly large company and a place that I enjoy working at every single day. When I was hired I was simply looking for a job and it working here has been better than any job I could have imagined and has turned into a fantastic career.

Always a lot of opportunities for advancement for those looking to build a career or even a resume for future jobs. This company has some of the absolute best sales training anywhere and employees who get through it and gain some experience tend to have very successful careers within the company and have no trouble landing another sales job if they ever decide to leave.

Every employee is part owner! This essentially provides a free retirement account for any long term employee on top of a 401k match.

Cons

Not many. Only thing I can think of is that we change rapidly quite frequently. Only a con if you have trouble adapting to new things. To me though, the change keeps everything fresh so I don't personally view it as a con.

Advice to Management

Don't have anything really. Upper management is constantly trying to improve the company and the lives of the individuals working here.

8. Great company great experiences

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers

Pros

Employee owned, Great people, great fun

Cons

We have a great time and celebrate all our wins

9. great employer

Current Employee - Work At Headquarters in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Work At Headquarters in Rocklin, CA

Pros

Employees are valued and treated well, including an employee stock ownership plan. A lot of emphasis is placed on integrity, and company-sponsored social events are common.

Cons

Large size of company creates inevitable challenges, but nothing major..

10. The Best Job I Have Ever Had!!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about Sleep Train is the people and the excellent training. From day 1 the Company brings you into their fantastic culture. The training is top notch and you are given all of the tools that you need to succeed. There is always fun outside of work events going on like retreats, parties, concerts, and sporting events!

Cons

If you do not apply yourself this job can be very difficult. If you want to learn new things and have a desire to make a lot of money this job is awesome.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

11. Great Retail Place To Work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

Pros

* Great Competitive Commission Pay. The Harder you work, the MORE you make!
    * Great Benefits; Employee Owned (Partially vested after 2 years, fully vested after 6 years)
    * Upward Mobility (Majority of Promotions are within our own Enterprise)
    * Great Colleagues to work aside
    * Friendly Sales Envoirnment, Not your typical sales envoirnment
    * Annual Contest to Hawaii
    * Celebration is on par
    * Structured Training Program

Cons

* Long Days (11 hour shifts, but still only working 40 hours a week)
    * Commission Sales (if you're afraid of taking control of your own money)

Sleep Train Mattress Centers Photos