Sleep Train Mattress Centers

Updated August 16, 2014
Updated August 16, 2014

3.7

Dale R Carlsen

Don't let this company fool you

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

The first year I worked here, they made it seem so great. They buy you lunch often, they train well, the pay is decent. You get some pretty nice benefits. I thought I would never leave.

Cons

VERY political.
    VERY Unethical
    NO work/life balance
    NO lunch break
    10 min break every 4 hours

This is the most political company Ive ever worked for as well as one of the least ethical. Political in the sense that if you are not kissing the higher ups bum all the time, you won't get anywhere. They don't care how much hard work you put in, if you're not a favorite, don't expect to get a promotion. If you don't get wasted with the higher ups, don't expect to get promoted. If you work your bum off and crush every expectation, don't expect to get recognized.

As far as how ethical they are, on a scale of 0 to 10 (zero being not ethical at all) They would be a zero or at very least a 1. They will use every excuse to fire you. You don't get the feeling that you may lose your job at any time but I've seen many people get let go for extremely stupid reasons and other people keep their jobs for extremely terrible situations.

You can do drugs and if they catch you, you will get a warning. You can sleep with your superiors and they may fire you but they will hire you right back. And guess what, you will even get a promotion. Seen both of these happen while i was working here.This goes back to playing favorites.

AS far as actually working here, expect to work 11 hour days and get no break to leave the store. You can take one 10 minute break every 4 hours but you can't leave the store. Prepare to sit there for 11 hours and see no one. You will have NO work life balance.

Get your act together and stop playing favorites. Fire people for doing extreme unethical stuff and don't fire people because you don't like them and are looking for reasons to do so. Reward employees who deserve it and not employees who you want to boost their moral. People who do well need moral boosts occasionally too. Promote the right person for the job, not your buddy.

Good company, good pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Good pay, excellent training, 401k matching, ESOP, medical, dental,

Cons

long hours, some stores are slower than others so it can limit your commission

Long review - read it if you are considering working here.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good discounts on products.
    Positive company image (false image but good for publicity because customers think it is a good place).

Cons

Everyone from the top down treats you like you are stupid and lies straight to your face. They call themselves "leaders" but have no idea what real leadership is. Real leaders set proper examples and go out of their way to give credit to their team members. They are more like selfish bosses who brag, engage in favoritism, and rule with an iron fist.

GENERAL CONS:
    *District sales "leaders" encourage sales staff to lie to customers.
    *Unprofessional regional and middle management who only give you the time of day if you are a serious butt kisser.
    *Nazi-style discipline by intimidation. Expect to get yelled at and insulted about your job performance by someone who has not been on the sales floor in years.
    *The compensation is very low for this industry with no useful monetary spiffs or perks.
    *They run contests but the "rewards" are of very limited use. One great example of this is a "big" contest to go to a sporting event. That is the only option as far as rewards go whether you like sports or not.
    *They have recently gone from a monetary perk system during big holidays to a silly point system that gives you credit to "buy" things on an overpriced web site.

ETHICALLY CHALLENGED:
    *They promote a false public image A LOT with things such as "best mattress store" contests that are run by local entities. During these time periods, dozens of emails are sent out company-wide urging the employees to go register and vote on the contest web site. Of course they win because they are the biggest and have the most employees to rig the vote.

ESOP:
    They also harp on the Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) publicly (decals on doors and bragging about it on Yelp and probably on Glassdoor too) and inside the company, but it's of little or no value unless you stay there for over 6 years. Most employees quit or are fired after less than 1 year with ZERO% vestment in the ESOP!

FAVORITISM:
    *Some of the regular workers are relatives or suck-ups with the higher management people and brag about drinking and engaging in gossip with them during off hours so you need to identify them and kiss their butts even if they treat you like dirt (they do).

*It's like a club and you are not in it unless you are related. It does not matter how good you are at what you do, it is practically impossible to move up past the store manager level in this company. If you get there, they burn you out with constant meetings and unrealistic expectations until you quit. Because of this hostile environment, you might as well forget about ever collecting your portion of the ESOP.

OUTSIDERS BEWARE:
    *Go work here ONLY if you like to act fake and suck up - see how far you can get. Or, you could get a job at a company that has genuine integrity and does not believe in making all the family and friends the bosses just because they already know them.

Get rid of the bloated middle management positions that are populated almost exclusively with relatives and major butt kissers. If you don't believe me, go back and look at their last names and maiden last names. Stop pretending you care about the employees and start caring for real or this will continue to be a high turnover company with constant and very expensive training costs. My experience shows me that people are just used and abused until they quit or are tricked into quitting so they cannot collect unemployment. Is that what you really want for the long term?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love my job, but its still a job.

Pros

Money and Company Culture is pretty good

Cons

Work / Life balance and favoritism

Store Leader at Sleep Train

Pros

-Initial Advancement Opportunity
    -Flexibility
    -Great Co-Owners
    -Management that actually cares
    -Salary based on skill, not set at hourly wage
    -Great benefits!
    -ESOP
    -Company Culture and inclusion

Cons

-Favoritism
    -Plateau of advancement opportunities once a leadership position is obtained
    -No Weekends
    -Work/Life balance hard to maintain because of VERY long hours

Although "technically" your people can occasionally take a weekend off by policy, when they try to it is so frowned upon and so hard to find coverage it is basically banned. Having floating staff/part time to allow coverage for your employees and team members to manage a better work/life balance would significantly improve the culture.

Sales Manager

Pros

I was able to take the sales skills I learned at Sleep Train and totally forget everything they taught me in order to crush them as a major competitor, priceless!

Cons

Long hours, management has to kiss up with upper management to get anywhere, this job was an absolute joke, it's nice to be working for a competitor that is crushing them on a daily basis

Keep training those new hires ! We're always looking for employees:)

Great company and great people.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

just started with sleep train and so impressed with the leadership and training program. It is by far one of the best I have seen. Everyone is so vested in your success. Positive atmosphere and lots of growth potential.

Cons

Lots of studying but worth it.

None.

I didn't know it when I was hired but I could not have imagined a better place to work than Sleep Train.

Pros

One of few companies out there that truly cares about its employees. Aside from good compensation and benefits offered by the company, there are many appreciation events for the employees. this truly is a family atmosphere in a fairly large company and a place that I enjoy working at every single day. When I was hired I was simply looking for a job and it working here has been better than any job I could have imagined and has turned into a fantastic career.

Always a lot of opportunities for advancement for those looking to build a career or even a resume for future jobs. This company has some of the absolute best sales training anywhere and employees who get through it and gain some experience tend to have very successful careers within the company and have no trouble landing another sales job if they ever decide to leave.

Every employee is part owner! This essentially provides a free retirement account for any long term employee on top of a 401k match.

Cons

Not many. Only thing I can think of is that we change rapidly quite frequently. Only a con if you have trouble adapting to new things. To me though, the change keeps everything fresh so I don't personally view it as a con.

Don't have anything really. Upper management is constantly trying to improve the company and the lives of the individuals working here.

Great company great experiences

Pros

Employee owned, Great people, great fun

Cons

We have a great time and celebrate all our wins

Very fun company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

Pros

The company does a lot together so your coworkers feel like family. Good pay and it's pretty easy to move up.

Cons

There's a lot of down time in the stores which was a good for me going to school but sometimes got a little boring.

Worked for Sleep Train Mattress Centers? Contribute to the Community!