Sleepy Giant Entertainment

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Matthew Hannus

1. not great. Company doesnt seem to know where its going and focuses only on underpaying staff and redesigning the office

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment

Pros

used to be snacks, fun people in the office who seem to really care about growing their careers and doing a good job. Very good community in the office as well

Cons

management does not care about employees. the pay is dreadful all around and the employees are extremely undervalued and overworked.

2. Unprofessional, low-paying, stressful, and weirdly fun

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great friends made while working, relatively relaxed work environment.

Cons

Poor management that was relatively unprofessional. Low pay and no room for growth. They seemed to hope to just turnover employees. Managers were stressful to work under and drama was common due to the lack of professionalism. Lots of gossip.

3. Abundance of good ideas, absence of follow-through

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Flexible hours + Lots of interesting & creative projects

Cons

- Abysmal communications from senior management - Continuous, unexplained project changes, cancellations, and re-prioritizations - Frequent, near tantrum-level "discussions" between senior management and creative teams

Advice to Management

If you hire a group of veterans and experts, consider listening to their feedback on occasion before making massive, company-sinking decisions.

QA

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment

Pros

Good for someone for gamers

Cons

not a place for a career

Advice to Management

care about your employees

If you do not like to see outdoors come and work here.

Former Employee - Developer in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My team was great even if they were disgruntled. Learned a lot of things

Cons

Long long long long hours - sometimes even days. Lots of empty promises. Compensation is terrible. Would not pay overtime even tho the State of California requires them to depending on your Salary Base as a programmer. No chance of advancement.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give to this terrible company. Maybe stop making promises and act like your forgot about it. I am glad they are no closed.

7. Will always be thankful to SGE for where i am in my career

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company had growing pains of course and i was very much part of helping with that growth. I read all these negative reviews by likely the CSR/QA staff who for the most part wanted pay raises just to get them and complain when they don't. Prolly the entire reason SGE doesn't do CSR/Community work anymore - they likely were just sick of negative culture from people who never want to improve themselves. The benefits are great -- my wife never had a problem with it. I have seen how some folks who started hourly are now in their 4th year with the company and will have great careers. I personally was never in the game industry and was given a shot and now i am enjoying my dream job all thanks to hard work. So all you haters --- who actually have time to write negative posts --- tell me how working at Taco Bell is. You simply don't get it -- you had your chance -- but spoiled it with feeling of self entitlement.

Cons

The services industry is tough but from what i hear the company seems to have new leadership in place and will make strong jump to mobile tech. Bonuses were scarce as a whole but the company does recognize people. We all received ipad minis for xmas one year.

Advice to Management

sharing company vision and strategy more.

A defining era of my career, in the worst way possible

Former Employee - Support in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My biggest takeaway from Sleepy Giant was a lesson in how to not run a company both culturally and operationally. I learned how to handle working in an unprofessional environment, in a remote office that was largely neglected. I did make some good friends that I keep in touch with still a few years later.

Cons

Minimum wage compensation Terrible working hours with no flexibility if you have a 2nd job (which everyone needed even as full-time staff) Terrible healthcare benefits package Inexperienced staff/coworkers who thought they knew everything Malicious office politics

Advice to Management

If you expect to be the 'best of the best' as you tout, then you should compensate accordingly. Invest in your employees and they will invest in their work.

Don't waste your time

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment

Pros

Somewhat flexible work schedule, although you'll be expected to be available between 10:00am and 7:00pm pacific time.

Cons

Terrible organizational structure. There are 20-30 developers that all report to the same guy. If he were to leave, the entire company would collapse. No upward mobility for developers. There is a lack of pride in the work produced that causes broken products to be shipped. Developers are undervalued and overworked. One or more employees quit every month that I was with the company.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Create a product that actually solves a meaningful problem.

Friendly bosses and coworkers!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time

Pros

The bosses were down to earth, easy accessed. My opinions were well received and respected.

Cons

Sudden change in goals, bosses were sometimes "ready, shoot, aim" kinda guys, they had some stuff to figure out before actually reaching progress

Good firm to work for in a tough industry

Former Employee - Development
    Former Employee - Development

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is always the company thinks of and i commend them on that

Cons

i think as a growing company it feels a bit disconnected but being from the industry and having read many of the reviews, what people don't understand is that the company has created a solid foundation and one of a company to last for a long time. I see too many complaints from people who just don't get what it takes to run a company. I was a senior person at the company. All these complaints of pay and growth can almost be contributed to the individual. Anyone willing to spend time to post a negative complaint likely will say negative things in interviews .. just a bit of advice ... that usually is a bad sign.

Advice to Management

I can see in the past 5 months things are changing so i commend the group. While still disconnected a bit, the company has high goals. From what i know a firm who has been around after 6 or so years while others who raised $100M are gone .. says a lot about the leadership. So thanks ...

RSS Feed </> Embed