Sleepy Giant Entertainment

Updated July 23, 2014
Updated July 23, 2014

2.7

Matthew Hannus

Friendly bosses and coworkers!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time

Pros

The bosses were down to earth, easy accessed. My opinions were well received and respected.

Cons

Sudden change in goals, bosses were sometimes "ready, shoot, aim" kinda guys, they had some stuff to figure out before actually reaching progress

Smoke and mirrors

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned how to recognize signs of a toxic work environment.
    SG had some interesting clients (some of them)
    They gave a bonus once, it was $300

Cons

Horrible minimum wage pay
    Insulting benefits package
    Remote office was lost and forgotten, an after thought.
    PTO policies were changed on the fly with no warning

The company clearly does not value it's employees. Here's a tip - if you want your company to be successful, you should want your employees to be successful. The mentality of "get in, get out" isn't helping anyone, despite that you think it is.

Good firm to work for in a tough industry

Former Employee - Development
    Former Employee - Development

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is always the company thinks of and i commend them on that

Cons

i think as a growing company it feels a bit disconnected but being from the industry and having read many of the reviews, what people don't understand is that the company has created a solid foundation and one of a company to last for a long time. I see too many complaints from people who just don't get what it takes to run a company. I was a senior person at the company. All these complaints of pay and growth can almost be contributed to the individual. Anyone willing to spend time to post a negative complaint likely will say negative things in interviews .. just a bit of advice ... that usually is a bad sign.

I can see in the past 5 months things are changing so i commend the group. While still disconnected a bit, the company has high goals. From what i know a firm who has been around after 6 or so years while others who raised $100M are gone .. says a lot about the leadership. So thanks ...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Like a bad dream

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro that comes from working for Sleepy Giant is the fact that I'm able to write on my resume and LinkedIn profile that I worked for some high profile clients. Otherwise, everything else can be considered a serious drawback. There are seriously no other pros to working at Sleepy Giant.

Cons

Be very careful of the Astroturfing that Sleepy Giant does to Glass Door reviews. They laid off their entire Customer Service Team and have since written fake reviews on GlassDoor. Furthermore, I'm extremely disappointed in myself for even accepting a job at SGE having gone back and read the reviews after I've quit. Honest feedback about this company is that they care more about warm bodies to throw at projects than they do about individuals. I've long since moved on and honestly look back at my experience at SGE like a bad dream. Sleepy Giant is a culture of workaholics and people who could care more about spending time at the keyboard than time with their families. While this company could be a great place to start out it's certainly not for those who are in the middle or senior levels of their career. Don't let the hiring managers fool you by false promises and empty words when they lure you in. Find somewhere else to work, this place will dig its own grave. Do I approve of the CEO? Who is that?

Stop treating your people like cogs in a machine.

Crumbling from within...

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with games; beer on fridays. Sometimes.

Cons

Terrible pay, managers are known for blatantly lying.

Motivate your employees.

For Superstar Consumption Only

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good people! Some of the best people in this industry that you will come across work at Sleepy Giant. They are brilliant, pleasant to work/play with, and they each offer some unique skill or knowledge that you won't find anywhere else. Seriously great culture. A family. The bad apples don't last long - which is why you see SOME come and go quickly.

This is also a company that is willing to go the extra mile for you, and recognize you in both salary and even in times where they see YOU need a break and rest - once you show them YOU are willing to go that extra mile too.

Finally, having the opportunity to LEARN and have crazy gaming industry experiences are very high here. You get exposed to a lot of high profile clients, and all the obstacles that come a long with them...and you get a chance to wear a lot of hats (if you are brave).

Cons

Easy win for high pay, respectable position, fancy loot, etc.? Hell no. Keep looking. You really really REALLY have to earn these things at SGE. It's no place for the weak. They want the superstars.

Get more managers so the managers can focus on managing.

Great people! Bad company if you are anything lower than a developer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Sleepy Giant Entertainment part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here are awesome. Super talented, really intelligent. The culture is fun and laid back.
    Monday morning pastries, Fridays have time off half-day once a month tacos are all super awesome. They also have kegs in the office and a Starbucks industrial coffee machine.

Cons

Do not expect to get promoted anywhere. Many have quit on being stuck, alone. Most people here are underpaid for their job. QA will never get full time, 32 hours max a week.
    Empty promises from upper-management cause employees to work harder for expected results, but are quickly let down when they realize the company will not be promoting them.

$10 an hour is average for game QA. But, in other gaming studios that at least will give hours to compensate. Keep in. Mind the projects here are software/web QA and they are not compensated as such. Additionally, the amount of work required for QA here is well beyond any typical Game QA. Bottom line is, if you are development or a project manager, don't expect to go anywhere with the company.

If you are project management, you will be underpaid. You will be the whipping boy of your client. Anything goes wrong is your fault regardless of client outrageous desires. Not to mention being on call 24/7. Did I mention underpaid?

Stop being disconnected from people who aren't at your pay grade. Invest in people who show initiative instead of expensive trinkets they don't need and they will work harder for you. Stop giving employees false hope.

Missed Potential

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment part-time for more than a year

Pros

CSR staff were a joy and honor to work with; there was a great sense of community among them, but everyone has either left or been laid off.

Cons

Extremely high turnover; CSR employees consistently leaving due to near minimum wage pay, lack of career advancement, mismanagement, and low team morale.

This location was/is meant to be where customer support would be handled, but all projects have been either dropped by the clients or had their contracts modified so that at the time of this review, the office is an empty husk.

Increase CSR pay to $15/hr in order to provide a living wage. The majority of low team morale was heavily caused by the low pay, and further cemented by a feeling of being ignored or disrespected by management.

Great culture, Awesome Perks!

I have been working at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great Culture
    -Awesome Perks
    -Projects are interesting and complex. They offer a variety of challenges to get valuable on job training and experience.

Cons

-Management team needs to be built out a bit more. It just feels a bit too spread thin at the top.
    -Pay is low across the board. I am not complaining about my own pay but overall morale of company is low because people are leaving constantly to get more pay.
    -No direct path is given to career advancement. This can cause some potential burnout.

Maybe trade in some perks for higher pay. Try to show a more direct path to career advancement.

Pure Bait and Switch

I worked at Sleepy Giant Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

R+D Kitchen is nearby for lunch.

Cons

Grinding small teams into paste across 3 projects simultaneously, then having to hear the PMs make up stories to explain the glacial pace of progress of their "dedicated team" to each of the concerned clients.

Stop telling that story about how you gave a client back their payment several years ago. You stopped being that company.

Worked for Sleepy Giant Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!