Sleepy's

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sleepy's CEO David Acker

David Acker

Pros:
  • "Good training if you need current sales experience"
    in 5 reviews
  • "They only care about themselves not helping you make money"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours, biggest competition is sleepy's dot com, 1800mattress and matress"
    in 18 reviews
  • "the commitment that you make to working for Sleepy's will leave with little to no time to do much else"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

no consistency

Sleepys Mattress Professional (Current Employee)
Southington, CT

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time for more than a year

Prosgood pay when their are customers

ConsVERY inconsistent, with locations and compensation

Advice to Senior Managementmore consistency in location, base pay and management.

Solid Retail Job

Sales Professional (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have worked in the retail world for 15+ years for so many companies and made no more than $13/hour at any of those jobs sitting in a mall dealing with HS kids was not a career. I actually make good money at Sleepy's. I have seen the other reviews and it sucks that more people don't write good things. I work 4 days a week and get full benefits. Yeah they change management a lot but anyone I call will help me write a deal. I have great co-workers who are professional people like myself and for retail this is a great place to work. No one is standing over your shoulder the company does a ton of advertising, I never have to come in on my days off and my friends who work in other retail jobs are making no money right now. Yeah some weeks are better than others but that's what I signed up for 3 years ago and at the end of the day I make a good living. I think people in the company get too hung up on what everyone else is doing. If you focus on you customers and have a positive outlook this is the place to work. The showrooms are a nice, clean environment to work in. I never have to deal with any maintenance issues they are all taken care of by the company. I have also had more training over the past 3 years than anywhere I have worked before. They constantly are changing product to bring in new things and thats not a bad thing, customers come in wanting the newest stuff they can find on the internet and we always have a product to sell to every customer, no matter what their budget.

ConsThe long hours including nights and weekends are not for everyone. Would be nice to have internet access in the stores.

Advice to Senior Managementmore communication to the salesforce from management would help moral. Glad to see some of our old advertising coming back.

changes!! Changes and more changes

Sales MP (Current Employee)
Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time for more than 5 years

Prosget to work alone. most of the consumers are nice. Can work a 3 day week and be considered full time

ConsSleepy's need to decide who they want to be and stick with it. The economy is not what it was and somehow they need to come to some agreement on a fair wage to babysit some of the slower stores. Field management first need to know how to do their job before they can tell you how to do it. They have eliminated training manangers and I think this is personally a bad move

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you think it is the MP's fault for slower sales why don't you work the showrooms personally and w/o codes and try and make a honest living. Any one can burn and devalue a bed try selling it at the retail price that is structured and see what happens. Showroom managers get to work the preferred stores if they are that good why cant they work a "D" store and build the business

Can't Make Everyone Happy

Mattress Professional (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time for more than a year

ProsReading these other reviews, there is certainly some truth there (see cons). HOWEVER, many people are still employees or were with Sleepys for a long time. WHY?? Because Sleepy's is a good company to work for. For a company that has been in business for over a half century, they must be doing something right. I wish other happy employees would write reviews so the people reading this could see the other side of things. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and if you aren't happy, you have a choice. The economy is not great for many companies so you have to stick out the good times with the bad. I am making the money that I would make anywhere else right now. I have benefits and training and a great management team.

Cons12 hour days working by yourself can get very lonely. Allow the use of electronic devices and give us internet access to help pass the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe advertising has dwindled over the last year, can we get back to where we were?

Before working here "SLEEP" on your decsion

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sleepy's

ProsFinancially strong company to work for, major advertiser

ConsLeadership, long hours, working extended hours on all Holiday weekends, the ability to earn a decent living

Advice to Senior ManagementLead

Customer Service Representative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sleepy's full-time

ProsGreat pay, good hours, people are really nice

ConsThey are strict about being late or calling out, easy to get fired

overworked & under paid!!

Sleepys Mattress Professional (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Sleepy's full-time for less than a year

Prosyou get time to take online classes, they have an excellent training program, 70% of the time it's a very low stress job. This tends to give opportunities older employees above 50yrs +

Consvery little room for advancement, this company is more focused on spending money on advertisement, customer discounts than giving it's MP's a living wage, draw + commission needs to be adjusted only 5% or less of sales make a living wage..

Advice to Senior Managementadjust pay structure, internally promote more of your current staff.

Positive reviews must be company written

Mattress Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Sleepy's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood training if you need current sales experience. Awesome opportunity to learn to become more able to stick up for yourself and able to endure change. Some of the other mattress salespeople and managers are great people to work with and honorable people - the key word here is SOME.

ConsThe majority of salespeople AND managers were looking for other jobs. It used to be a good company to work for but the commission structure and bonuses were changed to the point that it was difficult to stay out of draw (it is straight commission versus draw), there is a huge amount of pressure on everyone and absolutely no "Sleepys Family" culture any more. It's a shame. The pressure was "nobody walks" but to make that happen you often had to undercut the other Sleepys stores right down the street and you ended up making five dollars on a bed that took you over an hour to sell. And maybe that would be your only customer for the day! So now you would be $120 in draw for the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave you ever considered actually getting out in the field and talking to your people to find out what is really going on? Have you ever considered some sort of feedback survey about individual district managers and how they treat your employees? You need to weed out the people in the field who are demoralizing your entire workforce. A house divided against itself cannot stand.

great people!!! Bad pay!!!!!!!!!!

Mattress Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Sleepy's full-time for more than a year

Prosco-workers and managers are very caring. Lots of training, who would have thought there was so much to a mattress. 3 days off a week is always great!!!!!

Conspaystructure is 100% commission and with so many stores so close to each other you are lucky to see 2 customers a week. thats not going to pay the bills so you better close them. also you are never in 1 store. you travel every day to a different area and store so you better be able to afford the gas and plan on up to an hour drive

Advice to Senior Managementclose some stores. people are only shopping sleepys vs sleepys

Poor training

Sales Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Sleepy's full-time

ProsIf you're ever out of work, Sleepy's will hire you. They just need people willing to be in lockdown mode for eleven hours a day surrounded by beds.

ConsTraining class is a snooze, and it goes on for weeks. The very basics of adult learning principles are routinely ignored here. Trainers are not professionals who train for a living, but rather, people who used to work in the showrooms, but now have a job with corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're going to continue to lose potentially your best salespeople because the training classes are not delivered by training and development professionals. There's a huge difference between a training professional and a Sleepy's professional. Pay an outside company to do an audit of your current training classes, and then implement their recommendations for improvement. That kind of talent is outside your company, not inside it. Why shoot yourself in the foot right from the get-go?

Worked for Sleepy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sleepy's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sleepy's CEO David Acker. All 112 reviews posted anonymously by Sleepy's employees.