Sleepy's Reviews

Reset
2.2
Sleepy's CEO David Acker
David Acker

Pros
  • Great dedicated people and good training program (in 6 reviews)

• They have a great training program (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long long long hours driving a ton district managers care ONLY about their bottom line and WILL throw you under the regional manager bus (in 23 reviews)

• Little to no customers in most stores equals low sales numbers (in 7 reviews)

1. warehouse

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Robbinsville, NJ
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Robbinsville, NJ

I worked at Sleepy's

Pros

good to work for sleepy

Cons

the money can be more

2. Sales

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You are your own boss and as long as you preform you will have the opportunity to earn a nice salary.

Cons

Your hands are tied in regards to improving your showroom. Everything must go through a chain of command as opposed to being able to impact positive change yourself.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who are in the showrooms everyday. Make the necessary improvements needed even if it means a smaller end of the year bonus.

3. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall a good company that cares about it's employees and who appear to want to do the right thing. The company has been growing rapidly and it now working to bring it's talent, processes and systems current. It has a ways to go but the company has real potential.

Cons

The management is disproportionately focused on earnings. This focus causes the company to shift gears month to month depending on results. The CEO is a nice person but may not be the right person to lead the company to the next level.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in talent and technology.

5. What sleepys says is a lie

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None .......they tell you they are going to make things better but instead continental to take away. Mr blank ruined wages at two other major companies and now is doing the same here

Cons

You are constantly lied to by management about 90 percent of the time. They constantly try to find ways to make it near impossible for a sales person to make any commission. Mr blank has taken all possible let ways from the sales force...only district Mgr and above allowed to make decent commissions.

Advice to Management

Be honest to the work force. Make it possible for the sales force to make a decent commisdion. Now the sales force qualifies for govt assistance.

6. Full time Mattress Sales Professional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, leadership, reputation with customers, and we ignore the competitions silly games. I focus on solving the customer's needs. If quiet I help colleagues through internet or phone.

Cons

I wish I could have multiple store duties. I like variety of markets.

Advice to Management

a win is a win... celebrate all ...low to high.

The worst place I have ever seen as far as training and fairness to employees as we as customers.

Current Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros for this misleading and I'll informed ceo. Poor on every aspect from how they treat their employees to how we are used to mislead customers and our commession. You won't ever be happy with this poorly managed company. Hours too long and your lucky if you get one customer a day. No customers they dock your paycheck and threaten your job.

Cons

All of the ABOVE They lie about your training and how far away it us for most. They say they will pay for your mileage up to 120 miles both ways another. They only pay when you go over 120 to and ftom. The training is slow boring and I have been through lots of training with other companies I know the difference. This training is short and only goes over why a bed will relieve back pain neck pain etc.DUH. HORRIBLE TRAINING!!!!!

Beware!!!

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sleepy's (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Mattress and Bedding Discounts. I never realized what the margins were on bedding until I worked for Sleepy's. Discount is very lucrative at 10% over landed cost. Great Sales Training Program. The Learning and Development team is world class! I've never seen a company so focused on a simple selling process. Work with Great People. Some of the support staff and the sales team are all tremendous individuals. Although I'm not bullish on the outlook of the company, David Acker, the CEO, is one of the best and most generous people I've ever met in that position. He genuinely cares, however, I don't know if he is really in the driver's seat anymore.

Cons

No training program beyond the Sales Training Program. DMs are put on trial by fire, if you make it, great! If not, you are DISPOSABLE! ZERO... ZERO... Chance for Advancement beyond District Manager. The company removed the regional manager position and "replaced" it with the SAME POSITION as an excuse to thin the herd at the RM level. Half of the regionals were demoted or let go and the NEW POSITION requires experience that is not given at Sleepy's. In the interest of "fairness" top earners earning potential have been CAPPED and bottom earners have been allowed to float. The pay structure has been redesigned 6 times for DSMs in the last 3 years and it has not been for the better. This is the only job I've ever worked where you make LESS MONEY year after year! This used to be a great company and great pay, ever since Calera Capital got involved it has become more about lining the pockets of the executive team and not about the earning potential of their employees. The excuse that they give, "This job was never designed to pay $X", "We're becoming more competitive to the market." "We've overpaid you for years." Micromanagement is an understatement. Be prepared to be called on your days off and harassed about projects or deadlines. Excel spreadsheets on your off day. Leadership also tends to be very reactionary and requires immediate turn around on items they've known about for days or weeks. Be prepared even if you've sent in a project to do it 3 or 4 times because leadership will either forget you did it, ask for the same information in a different format or ask for the same information 4 months later. EMAIL... EMAIL... EMAIL... Did I mention the company's preferred method of contact is email? Be prepared for over 1000 emails a day, with no exaggeration. Half of the job is responding to emails. The other half of the job is putting out fires and covering stores. You see the beauty about Sleepy's is you aren't really a district manager, you don't really manage teams of people, you manage individuals who happen to work in your showrooms (and also can work in other districts) When you have someone who calls out sick or doesn't feel like coming in after a long holiday, you are now a glorified Mattress Professional who works on no commission! Even though they recently implemented a showroom manager program, it's only a manager by title as they do not have the capability or authority to handle the day to day business.

Advice to Management

Bring back the old Sleepy's of David and Harry and DUMP CALERA and the new Sleepy's. Run your showrooms like other retailers and give DMs some autonomy.

no room for growth

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Sleepy's

Pros

no pros..you might make a little above minimum wage. ideal place to lose your dignity as an employee and as a human being

Cons

too many cons to mention..bottom line the CEO approval is less than 40%. employees are unhappy and with the economy getting better, a lot of talent will jump ship

Advice to Management

you might give the best advice in the world and they dont listen

the mattress proffesionals?

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Sleepy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

money was good, sometimes there was the potential to make a good salary as long as you pretty much gave up on having a life

Cons

no holidays with family the management is cold and unfeeling, you have ridiculous sales goals and get in trouble even if there is no traffic into your showroom

Advice to Management

treat your employees better allow more than one day off a week not as much pressure knowing you can only sell to a person if they come in, eliminate competition with other sleepys

Sleepys lies to potential recruits and those in training

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's certainly not for the money you will allegedly make which is an outright lie. Nor is it for the benefits....they suck.....worst plan of any large company out there.

Cons

Recruiters and mgt make up salary potential amounts to lure people in. They go through training being lied to about money potential which is only likely at the few,and rare high stores. Then they come to work and after 3 to 4 was they realize they are going to be lucky to earn a third of what sleepys,said. They then quit. Sleepys cannot recruit and maintain people because they are lied to and are leaving faster than they can get them.

Advice to Management

Make it possible to earn the money you preach about and stop taking away bonus and commission abilities and maybe people will stay and sell for you. Bottom line....stop lying to the masses and tell them the truth.

RSS Feed </> Embed