Sleepy's Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
2.5

Sleepy's CEO David Acker
David Acker

Pros
  • Great dedicated people and good training program (in 6 reviews)

• they offer there employees great training (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, biggest competition is sleepy's dot com, 1800mattress and matress (in 22 reviews)

• Little to no customers in most stores equals low sales numbers (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Learning from one of the largest private companies in the world, and seeing how they grew as I did.

I worked at Sleepy's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working for Sleepy's will teach you the realist world of sales. It shows you what works and what doesn't. You meet some phenomenal people along the way and there really is a lot of diversity there.

Cons

Some members of senior management seem to be set in stone. It takes a lot to try and sway the minds of some, and most times it doesn't mean much of anything because of a reluctance to spend budgetary money or to compensate relatively fairly.

Be realistic about the fact that the people who work for you also have families and obligations. Be human and try to understand where it is they are coming from.

Sales Professional

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with this company over 12 years . Strong company . Earning potential is great .

Cons

Negativity in corp. world is normal .

More direct communications with sales force .

Okay Job

Former Employee - Manager in Holyoke, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Holyoke, MA

I worked at Sleepy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Alot of down time, pressure to get sales

Cons

Alot of downtime, waiting for customers

Too much pressure on salesman

Good company with good benefits and training

Former Employee - Mattress Professional in Bridgeport, CT
    Former Employee - Mattress Professional in Bridgeport, CT

I worked at Sleepy's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very proactive for training and light work schedule.

Cons

Management team can get a little difficult at times.

Great corporate atmosphere at headquarters but needs to be seen at store level.

A good company

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time

Pros

The money is very nice.

Cons

The Schedule could be better.

The Professional Approach

I worked at Sleepy's

Pros

Leadership is approachable and hands-on at all levels.
    Great training programs.
    Great ethical professional environment and colleagues.
    Aggressive advertising and marketing strategy.

Cons

Challenging work schedule some weeis.
    A little too quiet between events for a day occasionally.

good

I have been working at Sleepy's

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

hours, pay could be better.

Sales Professional

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Manchester, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Manchester, CT

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Job with great pay. There is plenty of support from fellow employees and management. The products are amazing and everyone needs one, it's an easy sell!

Cons

The hours are long which is expected with retail along with expecting to work every holiday "all hands on deck." Potential for growth are limited. In fact the life cycle for a district manager at Sleepy's has become shorter than most standard employees.

You are bottom line based company driven on results. The message that your employees are hearing from the higher up's is not consistent with what is actually being delivered to the sales floor. Watch out for the bad reputation and keep attempting to clean up the social media.

You'll make more money Panhandling

Current Employee - Mattress Professional in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Mattress Professional in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will get a paycheck until you are let go or find another job. Either one is a win-win situation because your no longer working for Sleepy's.

Cons

This is a $10 an hour job any way you cut it. If you work for Sleepys as a Mattress Professional you are going to make $10 an hour. I'll do the math for you right here. Their draw is $125 a day and you will work 5 days a week so that's $125 a week because your not going to beat the draw (even though they tell you differently). Your working 11 hours a day 5 days a week which is 55 hours a week. That's 15 hours overtime so with Time & a half that equals $625. What a coincidence that working 55 hours a week at $10 an hour equals $625 which is the exact number you will make with the draw after a 5 day work week. If you work more than 5 days which you will sometimes do your pay will fall below $10 an hour.

You will hear the word "Money" over and over and over before, during and after training. I guess they are banking on the fact that you don't know how to use a calculator to figure out how much you are actually making. Some days you will beat the draw but most days if you are lucky you will make $125 give or take in commission and soon find yourself buried in a hole and stuck making $625 a week working 55 hour weeks ($10 an hour). This company's vision is to open as many stores as possible and to tell lie after lie after lie to get employees into their stores. Also, not to mention the job flat out sucks but I won't even go there. Don't believe anything the recruiters or anyone in management tells you. Their job is to get you in to one of their stores working and they will do anything to accomplish that and honestly they're very good at it otherwise they wouldn't have over 1000 stores.

I'll also say that any positive review that you read on here about this company is more than likely either made up by management (yes they do this) or possibly a delusional employee which they have many of. If you are thinking about working here please look else elsewhere. This job is a complete waste of time and energy.

Management at Sleepy's doesn't need advice........they know everything.

The most unethical company I ever worked for.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If I wanted a mattress, I'd get a tiny employee discount on it.

Cons

It was during initial training that I began to have second thoughts. First, it was obvious that the money they said we could make during the interview process was a complete pipe dream. Second, I was very uncomfortable with the ways we were taught to sell. Deceiving at best, dishonest at worst, and a nearly complete absence of ethics. That gut feeling I had? I was so right. Management is well aware of this, but to them, it doesn't matter HOW you sell, or what you say to the customer, as long as you make that sale. Don't believe me? Walk into any Sleepy store and let them show you a couple of mattresses. Then, say you're going to "think about it". You won't get out of the store alive. All of a sudden, it will transform into a Middle East shopping bizarre type of experience. So embarrassing.

What management doesn't about know is the large numbers of employees who talk to each other, and virtually all hate it there. Most are looking to leave. Don't work there....don't buy a mattress there.

Sleepy's Photos