Smarsh Reviews

Updated March 11, 2015
24 reviews filtered by
Smarsh Founder & CEO Stephen Marsh
Stephen Marsh

1. Opportunities for interesting problems to solve within a growing organization that cares about culture and engagement.

I have been working at Smarsh full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High bar for talent
    Focused effort around engagement
    Great benefits
    Results-oriented and autonomous culture
    Flexible; work/life balance

Cons

Fast pace (not for everyone)
    Shifting from unstructured to structured (not for everyone)
    Ambiguity in our evolution--that is, not everything is documented or a process/policy developed for every instance

Keep the bar high for talent; stay conscious of how and prepaer for how business decisions (large and small) impact culture.

Don't believe the hype

I have been working at Smarsh full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent and we have a new office that is just over the top for a company our size. Socially the company has hired some really hip people that all seem to get along both outside and inside of work.

Cons

Where to start the list is long. After being at the company for over a year and hearing all the hype that comes from the mouths of leadership I would have thought we would be better off. Sales were down in 2014 so raises were low and bonuses were even lower, but like I said we have a brand new office that is just outrageous. O yeah and we are sending exc team and a 20 of their favorite team members on a company trip. Only depart that did it based on actual goals and numbers was Sales and even then you didn't have to meet 100% of goal, just needed to be part of the in crowd.

Run don't walk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Smarsh

Pros

The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Middle Management is all about hurling directives and chanting about goals, but they are unwilling to do any coaching, training or development of employees themselves to help the employees get there (isn't that what "management" is supposed to be for?). No training from managers, so expect to learn everything on your own or have to bug your coworkers for help with how to do everything. Extreme favoritism is displayed. Compensation is very low for the industry. Goals are arbitrary and designed to be unattainable, so the company doesn't have to pay you. Vacation policy is a non-accrual, take-what-you-need policy, which is spun as a positive, but of course means that you have to beg your manager for any day you want to take off (as long as no other employee has already requested the same day), and there is no chance of being paid for unused, accrued vacation time. Again, so the company doesn't have to pay its employees what they deserve. No advancement opportunities. Many upper managers are brought in from the outside who don't understand the business or care about the existing employees. Communication is non-existent. There is so much disorganization with constantly changing company directions. The investor firm essentially owns this company and calls all the shots, and it is doing whatever it takes to cut costs because the company could not make enough sales last year and clients keep leaving to go to competitors. Client support is poor: email response times around a WEEK with call wait times up to 50 minutes because the company will not invest in the staff it needs to handle its customers and cannot hang on to the ones it has because they keep quitting. I can't believe I got suckered into working for this place and will be leaving very soon.

5. Not a place for wallflowers... this is a place to be involved and have an impact!! LOVE IT!!

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Smarsh full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Smarsh is small enough that everyone including COO / CEO are approachable, yet big enough to have the top shelf clients!! From the first interview, I have been impressed with the way they operate. I am a big believer in the why's and this is a place that explains the why's. I left a huge company to come here.. and so glad I did. I know everyday here-- what I do and the great people I work with, impact the business we do and customers we serve !!

Cons

Only cons are the ones typical of a young and growing company-- growing pains.
    Processes that are very manual-- that work as a small company, don't work when you become a real player in the market. The cons are known, and fixes are in the plans.

Keep the boat moving forward-- fail fast and move on. Do whatever it takes to hit the targets-- a bigger gun.... better scope or better bullets :)

6. Overworked and appreciated

I have been working at Smarsh full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will certainly learn at Smarsh while trying to keep pace with the speed of its success. A friendly and accepting group of people that work very hard. This is not a place to sit idle and collect a paycheck. If you like challenges this is the place. Hard work is rewarded here.

Cons

Scalability has been painful and too much time is spent on manual processes that could be automated. It would be easy to get overwhelmed at Smarsh, especially if you are not competitive and driven.

I like the movement I see at Smarsh. Keep encouraging success and ideas from your employees.

Company on the edge

Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at Smarsh full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are amazing and extremely talented.

Cons

Management does not seem to care about keeping good, dedicated employees. Allot of turn over.

Value and appreciate your employees, remember they made you the fast growing company that you have become.

Great! If you are one of their college buddies and don't need a lot salary to get by.

I worked at Smarsh

Pros

technology was good, customer base was engaging, and they cared about the customers.

Cons

100% fraternity/boys club.
    how is it that everyone the original guys know from college are the right fit for the role they put them in?
    critical disparity between offices on both coasts.
    low comp no vacation benefits = rotating door

you make me laugh

Current Employee - Senior IT Position in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior IT Position in Portland, OR

I have been working at Smarsh full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steve marsh will love you if you sing his praises on sites like this.
    If you're related to Steve or Andy, the world is your oyster.

Cons

Constant VP turnover.
    Can we have more VP's? 1 for every 10 employees just doesn't seem like enough.
    below market rates for most roles. Did I note that they love their VPs?

Bring in someone to run the company. Bring in a real COO and let Steve be the figure head. Seriously. How many "leaders" has he hand-picked, only to fire 6 months later?
    What do you think it says to other employees when you hire your brother, cousin, etc. and they are untouchable?

Great products, but we would make so much more $ if we weren't so dysfunctional.

No company is perfect, but Smarsh comes close

I have been working at Smarsh full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smarsh is one of those companies where you really feel like you're a part of team that's doing something exciting. No doubt, as the company has grown over the last couple years, there have been challenges and adjustments that needed to be made; but I've never worked for a company that's so committed to retaining a vibrant, genuine culture of personal investment as Smarsh.

In terms of growth potential, it somewhat differs from department to department, but there's a good tendency towards internal promotions across teams. Most teams encourage (or even mandate) skills advancement through external courses and conventions.

Pay and benefits seem fair, with flex working arrangements in most (if not all) teams and a very casual, friendly working environment. As seems the norm nowadays, we have an office keg and several small groups participating in activities like LAN parties, softball, soccer, charity work, etc. It's generally a fun place to work.

Cons

Work-life balance can be tough, depending on what team you're on, but that's getting noticeably better since we started to grow in work-force.

There is definitely patchy management on some teams.

Loyalty

I have been working at Smarsh full-time

Pros

Very dedicated and loyal employees. Excellent room for growth to an individual willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Continued your focus on the product. Needs to set clear expectations with customers.