Smart Circle

Smart Circle Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros:
  • "Employees learn a lot throughout the course of the program"
    in 5 reviews
  • "You will get to talk to a lot of people to increase your communication skills"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's very long hours for very little pay"
    in 22 reviews
  • "No benefits (no vacation, health insurance, dental insurance, vision, 401k)"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Print Only Version of Groupon

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Smart Circle full-time for less than a year

ProsYou can make good money here if you are able to cold call, set appointments, use a consultative sales process to close deals and articulate a clear ROI.

ConsThe half-off coupon model has run it's course and companies have become very wise about this type of advertising investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour entire company structure is antiquated and the way you do business is seen as a pyramid scheme.

Good for recent college grads looks to beef up their resume

Manager In Training (Former Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Smart Circle full-time for less than a year

ProsLearn a systematic approach to sales

ConsLots of lies
Not very competitive pay
Lots of hours including weekends
Extremely high turnover rate of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees better financially if you want to see increased productivity from the lower levels

Not for everyone, but opportunity to earn a decent bit of money.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Smart Circle full-time for less than a year

ProsYou work with some good coworkers. During a good week, you can make a lot of money.

ConsWhere should I start?... NO Benefits at all. Cult-like meetings are useless. 60+ hours a week only one day off a week. Even the managers are broke.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer some benefits. Quit being so greedy.

Great if you like hard work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRoom for advancement. Great employees

ConsMisleading job postings. Some positions are 100% commission based. A lot of hard work for very little pay in the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop misleading applicants.

overall okay

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Novi, MI

I have been working at Smart Circle full-time for more than a year

Proscall center is open for 11 hours a day

Conscall center gets backed up and customers as well as myself get put on hold for an extensive amount of time

Advice to Senior Managementregulate call centers in a more productive way

Sucked!

Campaign Manager (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Smart Circle full-time for less than a year

ProsThere were no Pros. This place Sucked!

ConsLong Hours
Little Pay
Brainwashing
Waste of time
Kills your brain cells

Advice to Senior ManagementBurn down

False Promises of Advancement

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Smart Circle full-time for more than a year

ProsGood first sales job. Potential and opportunity is there if you are under the right management and market.

ConsThey burn you out. No work/life balance. Lots of young owners that shouldn't be in management that don't take ownership for their mistakes. They do not compensate for travel and phone expenses. Do not work for an owner that has just started, because most likely his business will be shut down within the first three months.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake ownership for your mistakes and don't put a new manager in place to take the fall for your mistakes. That is what drove me to leave this company. The best salesmen do not make the best leaders. You need to make sure you have someone that can put up decent numbers but also be a team player and demonstrate leadership qualities.

Learned a lot at fast paced company.

I have been working at Smart Circle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIn my 4 years with Smart Circle, I have learned a lot about direct sales and face to face marketing. A lot of the people with negatives about Smart Circle on this site seem to work for some of the companies that Smart Circle contracts with, and not Smart Circle directly as I have not had any of the issues with Smart Circle.

ConsIf hard work and a fast paced environment is not for you, then Smart Circle is not the place for you. Hard work is required.

Scam and Lies Alert

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Smart Circle full-time for less than a year

ProsYou will get to talk to a lot of people to increase your communication skills. Opportunities to mentor other representatives across the country.

ConsBelow will be a following list of negatives and reasons you as a person should stay far away from anything associated with the Smart Circle:

-Your commission isn't based on a daily sales number. Your sales will be averaged throughout the week. So if you have an amazing day followed by the consistent bad days, you will end up making "minimum" wage for that week. I put minimum in quotations because most of the time the manager will only show that you worked 38 hours when you worked 60 hours.
-You will be working and standing in Sams Club or Costco begging people to buy products that nobody wants.
-Products you sell are not worth a dime. They break, have problems, are out of date, or just are scams by themselves.
-All products you sell are not actually companies at all. They are made by a company owned by the smart circle called innovage. Everything is of poor quality and reversed engineered from reputable companies that deserve people buying their product.
-No benefits at all. Even though you work beyond full time the Smart Circle refuses to offer any sort of benefits.
-Come tornado, flood, disaster, or anything that is dangerous the smart circle could care less about the employee. All that matters to them is money. If you died and made them one extra buck that is all that matters.
-You are required to go to a morning meeting that you will not be paid for.
-Learn systems that are just meant to put you through a meat grinder of getting a ton of no's and having people hate you and cuss you.
-Smart Circle promises you opportunity to own your own business in 6 months. Why this is a negative you ask? Its because they know you are mice and will do anything for cheese so they hold this opportunity for ransom out in front of you while you are on a never ending mouse wheel chasing that cheese. Complete and utter lie.
-Say that they will compensate your gas but under the stipulation that you go from the office directly to the location. Most of the time you will go to the office wait for someone to work the first half of the day and then you work the second half of the day. Guess what! You don't qualify to get paid for gas!!! Or the manager says especially if you are going to be traveling long distances not to go to the office meeting but go directly to the location. Guess what!!! You don't get paid for gas!!!!!!
-Lies and cheating to get what they want.
-Oh and did I mention lies. Yeah that's right they flat out lie.

The fact is, the Smart Circle and the organizations underneath them are nothing but a "legal" pyramid scam that force individuals chasing after the American Dream to work for meager wages and most of the time pay to work for them by using an extensive amounts of gas to travel over sixty miles to a Sams or Costco. All this to make minimum wage. Your opportunity is a sham.

Advice to Senior ManagementShame on you for lying to every individual who has an interview with you. There are no words for falsifying the information of the amount of money that will be made and the ability to make a living while working for your company. I would never in a million years recommend anyone to work for such a scam. I believed the lie at the beginning but I should have believed the reviews here before I jumped into this situation and ruined my credit and literally my life.

Words Cannot Fully Explain What a Terrible Experience I Had at Smart Circle

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Smart Circle

ProsModerate pay. Got some job experience.

ConsI cannot fully put into words the horror that was my experience at this company. I mean it, there are no words. It was a terribly abusive company that I didn't fully realize until I left the company and worked to move forward. Really sad and really bad. First, I will say that I have never worked with a more abusive and aggressive group of people. Also, there is a culture of unappreciation and unwarranted criticism all the time. In addition, be manipulative and calculating and backstabbing your co-workers is rewarded not frowned upon.I am a different and more sad person for having worked at this company. I hope I return to myself at some point.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that you are hurting people by your tactics. Money is not the only thing that matters in life.

Worked for Smart Circle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Smart Circle reviews and ratings. All 78 reviews posted anonymously by Smart Circle employees.