Smart Circle

Smart Circle Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros
  • Employees learn a lot throughout the course of the program(in 5 reviews)

• What I hear is a lot of people griping about long hours, being on your feet, and a cult mentality(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very long hours for very little pay(in 24 reviews)

• No benefits (no vacation, health insurance, dental insurance, vision, 401k)(in 12 reviews)

Weak need not apply

ProsSo much growth. So much opportunity for money even at entry level...my highest paycheck at the bottom was 2100 for 2 weeks which is much higher than any other paycheck I had received from other typical jobs I had previously worked.

ConsVery challenging but worth the struggle

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on goin!

The ability to generate commission was there, however, the selection process was extremely vague. Leadership was lacking

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsIt was direct sales
    They placed you where the clients were going to be
    There was no cold calling involved
    You were selling something desirable (DirecTV)

ConsLack of Leadership
    Employee morale was weak
    The organization structure seemed rushed
    The leadership structure seemed rushed

Advice to Senior ManagementA group structure
    Company values need to be vocalized more
    Time-off didn't seem like a problem, but proper education did

Avoid at all costs

Junior Marketing Representative (Former Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsThere was a highly energetic workplace culture with people that were always nice and loved talking to you. Management and leaders would teach you all the skills needed to perform your job well and make an effort to make you feel part of the team.

ConsThe interview process was lengthy and highly misleading. Smart Circle was the parent company of this particular business and that information was not divulged until a leader was specifically asked. The individual company claimed to have over 20 clients, all Fortune 500 companies. After research it became evident that none of the companies on their list were on the Fortune 500 list. They hire on people as full time, but the hours were highly competitive. A full time employee was not guaranteed the 35 hours that most companies will give.

Outside of the interview process several of the practices seemed unethical. Hired on as a marketing representative your main job was to sell items to customers in stores on event marketing. However during your "pitch" the script specifically stated that you were not a salesmen and not there not sell the products. You were there purely as a promoter. Other strategies included asking you to basically lie to customers about how many items were purchased by other people and the number of products that were available.

The pay is essentially straight commission. A base pay is given, but only on a versus basis which means that you receive which number is higher, the commission or the base pay. Keep in mind the base pay is only minimum wage of which is impossible to live. There are no benefits at entry level, because of the number of employees at each office even healthcare is not offered through the employer despite the Affordable Care Act.

Doing research before accepting an offer with this company at a marketing firm is highly difficult since each time a new manager is selected they set up their own company and their own business name. There is virtually nothing to tie it to the parent company Smart Circle which makes it difficult to go into the job well informed.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse a policy of transparency with both customers and employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pyramid scheme

ProsYou learn to appreciate the warmth

ConsYou have to use a lot of your own resources in order to "make it"

Scam on every level

Owner (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsI believe that I was truly blessed with the opportunity to have worked for Smart Circle because it opened my eyes to the evil that can be done all in the name of chasing that almighty dollar.

ConsIf you are reading this you have probably done some research and are aware of the Smart Circle scam. This scam has many faces and is perpetrated on many levels. There's the recruiting scam where they outright lie to perspective employees and the sales scam where they lie to their customers. The real scam however, is having their managers become incorporated therefore removing any liability for their actions from Smart Circle.

Smart Circle trained managers who then opened offices using the methods that they learned. These managers trained new managers in the same methods who went on to open their own offices and so on and so forth, like a virus. Their tactics are also enforced at Smart Circle rallies and conventions. Sure, the whole individual office system is very clever and creates plausible deniability, but it's main purpose is to avoid legal entanglement.

What is truly amazing and a testament to cleverness of Smart Circle is that they have convinced most of their managers that they are in fact entrepreneurs. This is not entirely untrue because these managers are business owners when it comes time to paying the bills or taking the fall but if Smart Circle calls and tells them to jump, they don't ask how high, they jump as high as they can. These "businesses" are created by Smart Circle for Smart Circle and all that's required is to find managers smart enough to get the job done but dumb enough not to ask any questions.

As above so below. This system is also used in their street level offices. Sales reps are made to sign documents absolving the subsidiary of any future wrongdoing. When a problem occurs, the subsidiary will fire the rep and claim that he was a bad seed. When a problem occurs in a specific market, Smart Circle will fire the owner and claim that they were a bad seed even though they trained that owner to behave in that way. Meanwhile, Smart Circle gets away with everything and is laughing all the way to the bank. You have to admire the genius of the system that they have created.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay back the money that you stole.

Brainwashing

Sales (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsSome of the reps were decent. Atmosphere was fantastic provided that you have a sense of humor. Loved watching the indoctrinated preach the Smart Circle Gospel.

ConsHave you ever been involved in a cult? I don’t mean a maniacal satanic cult that perpetrates murder on the streets but a cult nonetheless? I have.

Like most naive subscribers to cults, I wasn’t aware as I walked through the door of the world that I was entering although in retrospect, the signs were always there. The cult in question was something I joined with the best of intentions. A new "respectable" job in marketing which would be pertinent to my business and journalism degree. Of course, the city center location and enthusiastic suited workforce created a favorable impression and a promise of great things to come.

Happiness and positivity were rewarded in kind with smiles and pats on the back. Shyness and negativity were rewarded with dirty looks and complete elimination from any future conversations as if that person had never existed. Morning meetings consisted of clapping and chanting as each cultist became more wrapped up and devoted to the system while brainwashing was taking place via so-called Impact lectures. Each and every morning we were told how lucky and privileged we were to be with a company where major things were happening and sports cars being bought daily. We were regularly reminded that there was recession outside but inside the office we had made the right choice as we were on the path to riches.

I’m guessing you may have realised that these riches never came our way. It turns out that the position was simply a 10hrs a day 100% commission sales job build up to appear as important as being the President of the United Sates.

There is nothing more demoralising than approaching irritated customers only to have them berate you with the occasional expletive. Then having to stretch the truth and guilt vulnerable people into handing over their card details and signing up for the product you are immorally pedaling in order to save your job and avoid ending each day in the red.

There is no question in my mind that the techniques used by Smart Circle constitute brainwashing, yet there are many other examples of companies that use other tactics to control their staff. Uniforms, jargon, meetings, incentives, harassment etc are all forms of brainwashing. The insidious side of Smart Circle is the manner in which they take over the lives of their people. The amount of time for laborious meetings, going out with your crew to the movies or for dinner, calling them at night. Gimme a break! Why? Why do they do these things? Why do they want you to "get with" only positive people? Answer: To keep you cocooned in a shell of their own making. Just think, if you were a steadfast capitalist and were kept in a communist village in China without news from the west for ten years while constantly being bombarded with Chairman Mao's propaganda, you would probably end up being a communist as well. They don't want you to spend any time away from their business because you might remember who you are and realize that you are being scammed.

Understand that "owners" have been figuring out how to get people to stick with their business since 1980. They have been through countless teams quitting on them. They have plenty of ammunition to give reps or their family members when they rail at them. They practice rebuttals to get them to calm down and stick it out. Advice is given at rallies and phone calls are made all the time just on these topics. They have years of trial and error on their side. On the other hand, an anguished girl friend or worried parent is dealing with something they have never heard of. Something that someone they love has embraced. Such a person wants to be open minded but when they see that their loved one is working 70 hours a week and not making money with a changed personality; they worry that he might be in a cult. Their loved one is not worshipping a strange God. They have been enslaved by the Smart Circle psychology of financial independence through retail sales.

Think about it people, if all that talk about money were true, wouldn't you have seen some?

Advice to Senior ManagementPay back the stolen money.

It Gave me the experience to grow

Owner (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsHard work, paid off. I'm glad that I was able to start learning at this company. I had no experience and they helped me now secure a career at a different organization.

ConsHuge pay fluctuation. Commission only...Interview practices we're a little misleading and that's why I left. VP's were always leveraging their campaigns over others so ownership was always changing campaigns and sharing "opportunity."

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for the fun times!

Fair to midland

Design Coordinator (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsTeaching methods; working as a team/group; models to follow and learn for success;

Consreality: only a few eventually receive their own office; not being truthful in regards to actual pay; not being honest when a campaign is market saturated; and therefore one is not paid on their hard earn leads; only a few people make a lot of money;

Advice to Senior ManagementReiterate that even though everyone has the opportunity for their own office, there is ONLY so many office to go around and one HAS to sacrifice it all to receive their own office.

Pyramid Scheme/ Cult

"Brand Ambassador" (Former Employee) Hollywood, FL

ProsIf you have no morals, then congrats! You have a 5% chance of succeeding here. You're the only type of person who would have a chance.

ConsWhere do I even begin???

-Misleading interview process
    -Brainwashed sales reps
    -Extremely long hours, very little pay...if any pay at all (commission based)
    -Manipulative sales practices.
    For example, even though you are technically trying to sell something, I was told BY A TRAINER if someone tells you no soliciting say "well actually I was here to give you something for free, but since you're not interested...oh well." Then walk away and refuse to show them anything even if they ask to see it afterwards.

Honestly, you have to be absolutely wicked to work here...and have to be rich. they'll say you'll be comped for your gas after sending you to the four corners of the earth, and you'll never see a dime. They claim you get bonuses and a fall back amount of money each week. You don't. Plain and simple.

However, the worst thing BY FAR is how they managed to brain wash some people. I met one guy who had only worked there for a month. They had this poor schmuck working well over 40 hours a week and barely making $6 an hour. But he was convinced that he was their model employee and likely to be promoted "any day now."

Each and every day they are constantly interviewing new people because, each and every day someone quits.

ANY BUSINESS that has a revolving door like that is a sure sign that you should turn down ANY job they try to offer you. Seriously, I went in for an interview and before the first question was even asked..I was "hired."

I say that because after my first day of witnessing the cult-like mentality, the obvious pyramid scheme, the malicious and misleading business practices, I told the manager at the office I would never work for such an unethical company. When I called him out on all the horrible crap he and the company as a whole was doing, he called me some very colorful names and told me I just had no vision.

Right...

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long walk off a short pier..to put it the old fashioned way. Seriously, you people are downright evil.

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone. Maybe you gain communication skills but that's it.

ConsHorrible. Long hours no pay commission only . Your having an "employee mindset" if you ask about hours or money. Managers talk a huge game but are broke themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. Do something better. Quit praying on weak people who will worship the ground u walk on

Worked for Smart Circle? Contribute to the Community!