Smart Meetings

Updated August 27, 2014
3.4

Smart Meetings Founder & Publisher Marin Bright
Marin Bright

Can't imagine a better place to work

Current Employee - Events Coordinator  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Events Coordinator in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and lots of creative talent. Love working for an industry leader and visionary.

Cons

None for me.. Sorry to here some people did not enjoy their time here. I feel blessed to be working with such a great group

Keep it up.. You always seem to be open to suggestions and in moving the company in the right direction..

Great time to be at the company

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

Why I joined Smart Meetings and what I like about it: I have tremendous opportunity to make immediate contributions and make an impact - not only in my job and in my department, but throughout the company. The CEO welcomes and values an entrepreneurial mindset and fresh ideas for marketing, editorial and art, the events, sales. Everyone is encouraged to take initiative and get things done. As the company grows - for example, it is quickly moving to expand its digital media - even more opportunities for creative thinking and innovation have opened up. It’s an exciting time to be here, actually. The CEO is committed to developing the company’s managers and staff into a cohesive team.

Cons

The workplace is fast-paced and at times frenetic, but the work is stimulating and challenging.

Abysmal

Former Employee - National Sales Director  in  Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - National Sales Director in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Zero. Truly, zero. Sorry.

Cons

Chaos. Immature management. CFO - your California accounting license is still delinquent!

Sell the company.

Jul 22, 2014CEO

Our national sales manager had been here for 7 years and is very happy- so starting with dishonesty says a lot about you. Our last sales manager was abysmal and we parted ways because he was unable ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Happy to Come to Work Everyday

Former Employee - Events  in  Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Events in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Rewarding Job, you not only get to use your sales skills but see your hard work pay off by attending the event. Great staff to work with and I enjoyed coming to work every day. I have worked in San Francisco for 22 years and I have never enyoyed a job more. The work is reward and safisfaction. This company rewards peoples efforts and values your opinion.

Cons

The past employees who are bitter about losing the job of a lifetime and want to take it out on the company. The only Con I can see is in the past couple years we grew too fast and collected some dead weigh on the staff. The company has made an effort to correct that mistake and is building a new team. I am sorry not to be part of that team. I would like to say walking out the door at 5pm is fine if you have finished your work and are at least meeting your goals. Many people that I worked with did not make their goals and the team suffered for it.

Hire Slow, Fire Fast. Get rid of the employees who are negative and lazy. It is annoying to the people who work hard to do their job and meet their goals to be strapped with people who don't care.

Jul 22, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to comment and your constructive feedback. If you would like to add anything further, please reach out to humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

Complete chaos

I worked at Smart Meetings

Pros

The people are really nice! And the office is decorated with bright cheerful colors. They do cover the majority of your travel cost.

Cons

Everything! I was told I was being hired for an event management position. The position is actually a telemarketing position with some event responsibilities.

They go through people faster then I've ever seen but ask you for loyalty?! Not sure how that works! The only stable department seems to be the magazine side and they only seem semi happy! You rarely here good job or thanks. It's more why weren't you always doing it!

Just beware expectations are unrealistic. And over all turn over is very high! The average person is only there for 6months to a year.

Health Benefits are slim, no sick time, only you are covered for health insurance at 75%

Work hours are stated 8:30a-5p but if you leave before 5:30 you are looked at like a slackers. You get 30 mins for lunch but you'll hardly be able to take it. But if you take it at your desk you better be working or again you'll be marked as a slacker.

Overall my time here was a learning experience of what I don't want from an employer.

And if you look at other reviews they say a similar thing so it can't just be one off employees!

Be honest with the people you interview event planners are not telemarketers they are trained event marketing professionals.

Apr 14, 2014CEO

We recently had an event sales manager who worked for us for 3 weeks. During that time she called in sick 2x was late 5 days and took long lunches and had a week of the 3 off with prearranged ... More

RUN FAST!

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will one day write a screenplay about this place, because otherwise no one would believe it really exists

Cons

A cesspool of dysfunction. Micro-management that isn't management, just a lot of yelling and making you feel bad about yourself.

Narcissism isn't management. It's a disorder.

Mar 3, 2014CEO

We usually find that what people write here is more about them it is about us. The dishonesty and lack of specifics is telling. Our CEO is the warmest, nicest person who happens to be very successful ... More

Best Job!!! Best Company!!! Best CEO!!!!

Current Employee - Events  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Events in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small, Creative, environment... Innovators .. You can bring your idea's to the CEO directly! You have opportunity to grow and they look for talent from within. Smart Meetings and all of BBM has a set of guiding values which truly matter to people. I love this place and everyday I feel compelled to do my best for this company. The measure of a Great Company is if you recommend it to a colleague .. I would not hesitate..

Cons

Hard Work!! If you are afraid of work, this won't be for you.. If you want to punch a clock or put in face time, not for you. If you have no heart and soul to share, not for you. It is high energy and you could easily be left behind.. But the work is rewarding and I really don't think of these as cons...

Take your time to find the right people who share your values.. Free snacks

Jan 13, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your comments and to your commitment to our Company! If you would like to share anything further, please reach out to our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

Truth be told.

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

The office is by the water and there is parking available, but be sure to get there early to get a spot.

Cons

Unfortunately every negative review on here is true-just read as far back dating to 2012-2013. My advice-- do not work for this company. Huge waste of my time and efforts. High turn over and is an extremely dysfunctional & hostile work environment. Marin Bright doesn't have a single positive thing to say about any of her employees. Also they are horrible at reimbursing expenses and will even fight you on a cup of coffee.

Stop slave driving your employees and give them respect.

Jan 13, 2014CEO

You will never meet a more supportive CEO- makes us wonder if this person ever worked here? We love our employees- especially when they are able to do the job. Unfortunately we made some bad hiring ... More

Fun, challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for less than a year

Pros

the atmosphere is built on success, comradery, teamwork and professionalism balanced with levity. no matter you're experience level you are driven to reach higher levels or success and learning new ways to get there.

Cons

the days can be long and tedious, but it is work and not a vacation after all, so cons are really open to perception and attitude

keep going with the open and honest dialog and how the overall business is doing so we can continue to adjust and react to keep our customers happy and our future successful

Nov 22, 2013Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

Toxic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time for more than a year

Pros

The location is great- the office over looks the water. Adds an element of calmness in an otherwise head wrecking environment. The publisher is a rue visionary.

Cons

The owners argue. Neither knows how to manage an individual let alone multiple departments. The owners manipulate and are psychotic.

Let your employees do the job they were hired to do. Don't micromanage and start taking a leap of faith and trust the people you pay to do their job.

Nov 22, 2013CEO

I have worked here for 10 years and never heard the owners argue. The owners have been running successful companies for 25 years with some staff been here over 10 years- must know how to manage ... More

Worked for Smart Meetings? Contribute to the Community!