Smart Meetings

Smart Meetings Founder & Publisher Marin Bright

Marin Bright

Happy to Come to Work Everyday

Events (Former Employee) Sausalito, CA

ProsRewarding Job, you not only get to use your sales skills but see your hard work pay off by attending the event. Great staff to work with and I enjoyed coming to work every day. I have worked in San Francisco for 22 years and I have never enyoyed a job more. The work is reward and safisfaction. This company rewards peoples efforts and values your opinion.

ConsThe past employees who are bitter about losing the job of a lifetime and want to take it out on the company. The only Con I can see is in the past couple years we grew too fast and collected some dead weigh on the staff. The company has made an effort to correct that mistake and is building a new team. I am sorry not to be part of that team. I would like to say walking out the door at 5pm is fine if you have finished your work and are at least meeting your goals. Many people that I worked with did not make their goals and the team suffered for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire Slow, Fire Fast. Get rid of the employees who are negative and lazy. It is annoying to the people who work hard to do their job and meet their goals to be strapped with people who don't care.

Jul 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment and your constructive feedback. If you would like to add anything further, please reach out to humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

Abysmal

National Sales Director (Former Employee) Sausalito, CA

ProsZero. Truly, zero. Sorry.

ConsChaos. Immature management. CFO - your California accounting license is still delinquent!

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company.

Jul 22, 2014

Our National Sales Director has been employed here for 7 years and is still employed at the Company. Also, please research the CA accounting licensing requirements. This is considered inactive, is ... More

Complete chaos

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are really nice! And the office is decorated with bright cheerful colors. They do cover the majority of your travel cost.

ConsEverything! I was told I was being hired for an event management position. The position is actually a telemarketing position with some event responsibilities.

They go through people faster then I've ever seen but ask you for loyalty?! Not sure how that works! The only stable department seems to be the magazine side and they only seem semi happy! You rarely here good job or thanks. It's more why weren't you always doing it!

Just beware expectations are unrealistic. And over all turn over is very high! The average person is only there for 6months to a year.

Health Benefits are slim, no sick time, only you are covered for health insurance at 75%

Work hours are stated 8:30a-5p but if you leave before 5:30 you are looked at like a slackers. You get 30 mins for lunch but you'll hardly be able to take it. But if you take it at your desk you better be working or again you'll be marked as a slacker.

Overall my time here was a learning experience of what I don't want from an employer.

And if you look at other reviews they say a similar thing so it can't just be one off employees!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with the people you interview event planners are not telemarketers they are trained event marketing professionals.

Apr 14, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We invest in our working environment for our employees. We offer various time off options for employee benefits, as well as a competitive, benefit plan with a company ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RUN FAST!

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou will one day write a screenplay about this place, because otherwise no one would believe it really exists

ConsA cesspool of dysfunction. Micro-management that isn't management, just a lot of yelling and making you feel bad about yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementNarcissism isn't management. It's a disorder.

Mar 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment. This person was employed for less than a year and did not fit our core values. Both parties agreed to part professionally, and this review only reaffirms ... More

Best Job!!! Best Company!!! Best CEO!!!!

Events (Current Employee) Sausalito, CA

ProsSmall, Creative, environment... Innovators .. You can bring your idea's to the CEO directly! You have opportunity to grow and they look for talent from within. Smart Meetings and all of BBM has a set of guiding values which truly matter to people. I love this place and everyday I feel compelled to do my best for this company. The measure of a Great Company is if you recommend it to a colleague .. I would not hesitate..

ConsHard Work!! If you are afraid of work, this won't be for you.. If you want to punch a clock or put in face time, not for you. If you have no heart and soul to share, not for you. It is high energy and you could easily be left behind.. But the work is rewarding and I really don't think of these as cons...

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your time to find the right people who share your values.. Free snacks

Jan 13, 2014

Thank you for your comments and to your commitment to our Company! If you would like to share anything further, please reach out to our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

Truth be told.

ProsThe office is by the water and there is parking available, but be sure to get there early to get a spot.

ConsUnfortunately every negative review on here is true-just read as far back dating to 2012-2013. My advice-- do not work for this company. Huge waste of my time and efforts. High turn over and is an extremely dysfunctional & hostile work environment. Marin Bright doesn't have a single positive thing to say about any of her employees. Also they are horrible at reimbursing expenses and will even fight you on a cup of coffee.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop slave driving your employees and give them respect.

Jan 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment. The Company is committed to an Open Door Policy, and appreciates honest and open dialogue and feedback. We do not engage in or promote a hostile work ... More

Fun, challenging and rewarding

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) Sausalito, CA

Prosthe atmosphere is built on success, comradery, teamwork and professionalism balanced with levity. no matter you're experience level you are driven to reach higher levels or success and learning new ways to get there.

Consthe days can be long and tedious, but it is work and not a vacation after all, so cons are really open to perception and attitude

Advice to Senior Managementkeep going with the open and honest dialog and how the overall business is doing so we can continue to adjust and react to keep our customers happy and our future successful

Nov 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

Toxic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sausalito, CA

ProsThe location is great- the office over looks the water. Adds an element of calmness in an otherwise head wrecking environment. The publisher is a rue visionary.

ConsThe owners argue. Neither knows how to manage an individual let alone multiple departments. The owners manipulate and are psychotic.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your employees do the job they were hired to do. Don't micromanage and start taking a leap of faith and trust the people you pay to do their job.

Nov 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to continually growing and improving our work environment for all of our employees. The publisher and CEO provides a creative vision for the success of ... More

Extremely Challenged and Happy

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sausalito, CA

ProsI actually like going to work everyday. I do a job I love. One of the best pros is definitely the people. It is a great staff, which makes a big difference. At times, the hours get long and I do face challenges but that is what keeps it interesting. There is a cycle of busy times and the times you aren't as busy, in the end it evens out. If you have an idea to improve the company or to save money, management listens to the idea. There is a team oriented frame of mind for the employees. The CEO cares about the company and supports those who make positive contributions.

ConsTraffic, horrible traffic at times and possibly long commutes, but in the end if you like what you do the cons are tolerable.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Run the other way!!!

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)

Proscool industry to be in.

ConsSo many where to begin and how to prioritize/categorize all the cons
    of this company!

As a veteran sales professional there is a level of autonomy, trust
    and basic tools you expect to have to do your job. At SM you will be
    micro-managed, expected to follow the CEO's directions for doing your
    job, your job, and/or the jobs of others, will be constantly
    threatened.

COMPANY REVIEWS: It has been confirmed by former and current employees
    that the "positive" reviews on this site were planted. The CEO
    directed a handful of employees to write them to offset the truths
    about the working environment.

EMPLOYEE TURNOVER: Turnover is high from the events and sales team to
    the VP level which is a solid indicator that this is not a good
    company to work for.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: THERE IS NONE! You will sell your soul to SM and
    like it or leave!

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know how you continue to con people into working there.

Nov 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to continually growing and improving our work environment for all of our employees. Employees provide constructive feedback at their own discretion ... More

Worked for Smart Meetings? Contribute to the Community!