Smart Meetings Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.2

Smart Meetings Founder & Publisher Marin Bright
Marin Bright

Great time to be at the company

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

Why I joined Smart Meetings and what I like about it: I have tremendous opportunity to make immediate contributions and make an impact - not only in my job and in my department, but throughout the company. The CEO welcomes and values an entrepreneurial mindset and fresh ideas for marketing, editorial and art, the events, sales. Everyone is encouraged to take initiative and get things done. As the company grows - for example, it is quickly moving to expand its digital media - even more opportunities for creative thinking and innovation have opened up. It’s an exciting time to be here, actually. The CEO is committed to developing the company’s managers and staff into a cohesive team.

Cons

The workplace is fast-paced and at times frenetic, but the work is stimulating and challenging.

Can't imagine a better place to work

Current Employee - Events Coordinator  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Events Coordinator in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and lots of creative talent. Love working for an industry leader and visionary.

Cons

None for me.. Sorry to here some people did not enjoy their time here. I feel blessed to be working with such a great group

Keep it up.. You always seem to be open to suggestions and in moving the company in the right direction..

Happy to Come to Work Everyday

Former Employee - Events  in  Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Events in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Rewarding Job, you not only get to use your sales skills but see your hard work pay off by attending the event. Great staff to work with and I enjoyed coming to work every day. I have worked in San Francisco for 22 years and I have never enyoyed a job more. The work is reward and safisfaction. This company rewards peoples efforts and values your opinion.

Cons

The past employees who are bitter about losing the job of a lifetime and want to take it out on the company. The only Con I can see is in the past couple years we grew too fast and collected some dead weigh on the staff. The company has made an effort to correct that mistake and is building a new team. I am sorry not to be part of that team. I would like to say walking out the door at 5pm is fine if you have finished your work and are at least meeting your goals. Many people that I worked with did not make their goals and the team suffered for it.

Hire Slow, Fire Fast. Get rid of the employees who are negative and lazy. It is annoying to the people who work hard to do their job and meet their goals to be strapped with people who don't care.

Jul 22, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to comment and your constructive feedback. If you would like to add anything further, please reach out to humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Job!!! Best Company!!! Best CEO!!!!

Current Employee - Events  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Events in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small, Creative, environment... Innovators .. You can bring your idea's to the CEO directly! You have opportunity to grow and they look for talent from within. Smart Meetings and all of BBM has a set of guiding values which truly matter to people. I love this place and everyday I feel compelled to do my best for this company. The measure of a Great Company is if you recommend it to a colleague .. I would not hesitate..

Cons

Hard Work!! If you are afraid of work, this won't be for you.. If you want to punch a clock or put in face time, not for you. If you have no heart and soul to share, not for you. It is high energy and you could easily be left behind.. But the work is rewarding and I really don't think of these as cons...

Take your time to find the right people who share your values.. Free snacks

Jan 13, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your comments and to your commitment to our Company! If you would like to share anything further, please reach out to our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

Fun, challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for less than a year

Pros

the atmosphere is built on success, comradery, teamwork and professionalism balanced with levity. no matter you're experience level you are driven to reach higher levels or success and learning new ways to get there.

Cons

the days can be long and tedious, but it is work and not a vacation after all, so cons are really open to perception and attitude

keep going with the open and honest dialog and how the overall business is doing so we can continue to adjust and react to keep our customers happy and our future successful

Nov 22, 2013Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

Extremely Challenged and Happy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for more than a year

Pros

I actually like going to work everyday. I do a job I love. One of the best pros is definitely the people. It is a great staff, which makes a big difference. At times, the hours get long and I do face challenges but that is what keeps it interesting. There is a cycle of busy times and the times you aren't as busy, in the end it evens out. If you have an idea to improve the company or to save money, management listens to the idea. There is a team oriented frame of mind for the employees. The CEO cares about the company and supports those who make positive contributions.

Cons

Traffic, horrible traffic at times and possibly long commutes, but in the end if you like what you do the cons are tolerable.

None.

Nov 22, 2013Human Resources

Something new every day, an exciting challenge.

Current Employee - Sales Management
    Current Employee - Sales Management

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart Meetings is very fast paced, entrepreneurial, and has the best products/services in the industry. Great views of the bay and marina. Gourmet coffee and teas available to employees at no cost to them. A rewarding environment where results and team effort are valued. Stellar customer service, quality products, growing revenue, and top notch content drives the company and its employees.

Cons

If you're not used to a fast paced environment, this could be a con for you. Smart Meetings is not a "job", it's where your dedication and hard work will be put to the test as the (at times) heavy work load can be a challenge. If you've worked at start ups before this is not unusual...in fact, it's why many people thrive and prefer this type of environment.

Awesome!!

Current Employee - Current Employee  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for less than a year

Pros

I felt warmly welcomed here from day one. The staff is very friendly and I've felt that my work is much appreciated. The office is located in a beautiful place and staff members routinely travel to some of the most incredible places in North America. In short, it's been a fantastic place to work.

Cons

As with other publications, deadlines and workload sometimes can be challenging, but my managers have displayed a great deal of understanding and flexibility regarding these matters.

Nov 22, 2013Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

Smart Meetings is a rewarding work enviroment

Current Employee - Director of Meetings and Events  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Meetings and Events in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for less than a year

Pros

I recently moved from Nashville, TN to Sausalito, CA to join the Smart Meetings Team as the Director, Meetings & Events. Smart Meetings is a unique and successful media and events company. We are encouraged to run our daily activities as entrepreneurs making decisions based on best business practices. My last few months have been rewarding and our events team successful. Leadership is dedicated to providing professional development and resources to encourage and increase skill sets. The name of our game is results with dedication to customer service and individual success. The entire staff was recently invited to a corporate suite at the AT&T Stadium to enjoy a Giants Game on Saturday, April 20. I am looking forward to joining my colleagues for some fun down time!

Cons

I have not experienced any cons of working at Smart Meetings. I made the transition from Nashville to Sausalito and miss a great many of my friends, but that was to be expected. I love living in Northern California

Work hard to play hard

Current Employee - Web Director  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Web Director in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many companies will say that they are results driven, but they aren’t, instead these other companies hire and promote people based on their pedigree and educational backgrounds without taking the time to review the value a person is capable of adding to a position. Smart Meetings isn’t like this.

Smart Meetings is about results and the owners don’t hold back from being upfront that they want to know how much you can improve their numbers. It doesn’t matter if you graduated from an Ivy League University, what matters is if you can make your department a success or not.

They are also very upfront about their benefits package, if I wanted pizza I wouldn’t go to a Chinese restaurant and then complain, so I’m unsure why anyone could have an issue with this as you know well beforehand what you will or won’t receive.

Cons

You can expect an extremely heavy workload in the first couple months, partly as a method for testing your abilities, but mostly as it will require a lot of your time to get up to speed on all the moving parts of the organization.

NA

Nov 22, 2013Human Resources

Worked for Smart Meetings? Contribute to the Community!