Smart Meetings Reviews

Reset
3.5
Smart Meetings Founder & Publisher Marin Bright
Marin Bright

Pros
  • Their office is decorated in fun colors and overlooks the marina (in 2 reviews)

• The measure of a Great Company is if you recommend it to a colleague (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Health Benefits are slim, no sick time, only you are covered for health insurance at 75% (in 5 reviews)

• They do not provide sick time, so sick people come into the office and spread their germs (in 3 reviews)

Proud To Be Apart of a Special Team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Have been with our company for years & I believe we have a fabulous team. We work hard, play hard & have a great bond. We have fun together & have a lot of respect for each other. We have THE BEST products in the industry. Our leadership allows us to be creative & very open. You can speak to the CEO or the President anytime to share ideas, suggestions, & comments. Lots of travel opportunities, beautiful offices, & perks you don't get with larger companies.

Cons

Dislike the petty remarks & unfair harsh judgments of past short term employees. Those who are happy working here don't appreciate or deserve that just because they weren’t a good fit with our company.

Advice to Management

Thank you for offering PTO time for vacations & sick days, 401K with company contributions, a medical plan with choices, excellent training & company teambuilding events.

Have a Bigger Impact in Your Career

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

Having worked at large corporations as well as some smaller firms, what I like about Smart Meetings is that I can have a much bigger impact both into the company and the marketplace. In a 30 person company like this, you get to have the opportunity for mastery of the craft and career. The skills, the projects, the challenges that are offered here will greatly enhance somebody's career. SmartMeetings is about generating the results in a passionate, self-motivated way. For those who are responsible and accountable this is a great spot. For those who don't deliver results, not so good. People's biggest pet peeve is that other teammates don't carry their weight. This means salespeople have to meet their quotas, content producers have to produce quality and quantity on time. And everyone has to be on the same page. Huge financial investment by the company. Compensation, Cadillac health insurance, retirement plans, travel to the finest hospitality destinations. Companies prepared to invest in the latest technologies and workflows.

Cons

People that meet their goals and objectives have a lot of autonomy and get a seat at the table. People who are under performing and not achieving results gets a lot of coaching and mentoring to help the get on the pace that's required. I don't want to work with people think that average results are adequate.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for great people to work with. Don't worry about separating people are not on the team and don't make the effort required to achieve the results. The only thing they can do is post a negative glassdoor. There's a reason you're the number one company in the space.

Simply the best

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is so advanced and ahead of businesses. It is wonderful to work in such a creative environment that welcomes all ideas and opinions. They are Smart and look to surround themselves with smart people- then they reward them extremely well. I have never worked in a better work environment. They lead their competitors because they treat their customers first class and truly are in business to create innovative products that work for the customers- that's all they think about. I feel so lucky to be mentored by pros!

Cons

The cons are some of these negative people who crept in and tried to bring a good thing down. We are lucky management doesn't tolerate slackers!

Advice to Management

Keep it up- you are so wonderful to work for- you respect your team and they respect you.

Avoid this company!

I worked at Smart Meetings

Pros

They put on a great face to the public.

Cons

This is the most dysfunctional company I have ever worked for. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Please read through the reviews and you will see a common theme: manage by fear and intimidation, high turnover, lack of trust and respect, dishonesty, their way or the highway. The company has asked for specific examples. Here's a couple: owners hold a staff meeting and tell the staff it's their fault that they have not been able to come up with a down payment on a new home (they currently lease a $5M house); or how about the CEO telling the staff she had to let her personal assistant go because the sales weren't high enough to keep her. The management routinely asks their employees to add good reviews to offset the bad ones. They have maybe six long-term employees that faithfully do so. I am not a disgruntled employee, however, their rebuttal will probably state that I am. Please beware of this company! It is not a healthy environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Too far gone to correct.

May 19, 2015 – President

There is a great karma quote we subscribe to at Smart Meetings: whenever someone is attacking you it is always about them and will play out in their karma - how you react is about you and your Karna ... More

Creative + Fun + Dynamic = Great energy!

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

I feel that the people I work with are committed to push this company to the forefront of its industry, bringing out the maximum potential in each of us. I am truly honored to be able to work and be part of this amazing team!

Cons

I have not experienced any.

great product and staff, but leadership creates stressful workplace

I worked at Smart Meetings

Pros

great product and staff. nice location and the client base is fantastic. great opportunity to make money and see some nice locations.

Cons

low base pay, no commission paid on accounts you take over and service until new contract (they keep the commission); horribly micro-managed and belittled. not trusted, absured outlashes of anger. heavy travel without an issued corporate issued CC

Advice to Management

run things at a higher level, like the talent, let your tthe next things to move next level --- show trust

Apr 27, 2015 – CEO

We are sorry that this sales person could not perform and is mad at company for their low performance. We review extensively all job expectations clearly in our interview process. We wish they hadn't ... More

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Event Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Event Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the role itself. Ability to wear many hats, travel frequently, and see an immediate impact of hard work.

Cons

The company is dishonest to the core, talks poorly about their clients behind their backs, and is disrespectful to their employees. During my time there I was able to confirm many of the negative comments written in previous Glassdoor reviews. Working at Smart Meetings was a significant waste of my time.

Advice to Management

Employee turnover is expensive. Stop being ignorant and treat your employees right.

Feb 9, 2015 – Human Resources

It’s unfortunate that you got that impression, and we can assure you that there is nothing dishonest or disrespectful about our practices. Many of our valued customers give testimonials, and we ... More

Awesome company on the move!

Current Employee - Director of Sales
    Current Employee - Director of Sales

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very successful and dynamic company. The founders/owners are very hands on and have a lot of passion for their business and their people. They embrace change and new ideas when it fits into the vision and values. They respect, recognize and reward folks that step up, work hard and lead. And while the company has been around for over 13 years, the culture continues to be like a start up with lots of ground floor opportunities for the right people.

Cons

If you don't like change, and if you just want to do the minimum and get by, this might not be for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay open to new ideas and stay true to your values. You've created a real gem with unlimited potential. The new business model that you've embraced has given us great traction and is an awesome vehicle to take us to new levels!

Wonderful company with great products to offer the meetings industry!

Current Employee - Art Director in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Art Director in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its great working for Smart Meetings magazine because of our company's culture! Everyone is motivated in making our products the #1 in the meetings industry. Great looking magazine! Amazing events! And looking forward to the brand new look of our website for 2015!

Cons

Parking lot gets full and you have to park in the streets

Great time to be at the company

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

Why I joined Smart Meetings and what I like about it: I have tremendous opportunity to make immediate contributions and make an impact - not only in my job and in my department, but throughout the company. The CEO welcomes and values an entrepreneurial mindset and fresh ideas for marketing, editorial and art, the events, sales. Everyone is encouraged to take initiative and get things done. As the company grows - for example, it is quickly moving to expand its digital media - even more opportunities for creative thinking and innovation have opened up. It’s an exciting time to be here, actually. The CEO is committed to developing the company’s managers and staff into a cohesive team.

Cons

The workplace is fast-paced and at times frenetic, but the work is stimulating and challenging.

RSS Feed </> Embed