Smart & Final

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.9

David G. Hirz

Pros
  • That means there is a lot of room for growth (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay at entry level for very hard work (in 4 reviews)

• Working full time hours but still a part time associate (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Information overload...in a good way

Current Employee - Human Resources Department
    Current Employee - Human Resources Department

I have been working at Smart & Final full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have worked retail before this position. The format is the same. However, Smart and Final is different in the way that it treats the associates.I have found from personal experience that the emphasis on training is more nurturing and more detailed than my previous employer. I haven't been with the company that long. I have had to learn a lot of information VERY quickly, but I have never had a better support system than here.
    We have killer benefits! And one of our key results is increased associate engagement. There is this whole website where you can basically give a shout out to your fellow associates and tell them what an awesome job they are doing. It really is an awesome place to work.

Cons

Some challenges at working for this company is similar to at any grocery store--labor! Labor is tight and sometimes it makes a harder push on sales.

I guess one area of opportunity is to further push that envelope of customer service and further stress our values.

Fast pace and growing, need to be on you A game everyday

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Smart & Final

Pros

Growth, Idea driven, everyone is held to company core values, your view counts and is ready to be a industry leader that other companies can emulate.

Cons

With growth Infrastructure becomes outdated very quickly. The distribution centers and stores are dependent on antiquated warehouse management systems, no lead time, stores need to be on the same page as supply chain even if it means hard cut offs.

If customer service at all levels is key we have to start somewhere. Put the brakes on and install up to date warehouse management systems, buying systems and ordering processes (demand planners and production/inventory planners) compartmentalize better and hold accountable those departments. We are in the big leagues, opening up stores is good but suffering while doing so can be more damaging for EBITA when it comes to operating costs. Focus on an infrastructure that can handle the growth before building new stores or remodels, throwing bodies and OT is not the answer, becoming efficient is. Invest in ourselves or the same thing that happened to Fresh and Easy will happen to us. EBITA will be severely affected and our new shareholder wont like our balance sheet when they see what is impacting our bottom line and when they do see it will we be able to answer the hard questions?? when they see they invested in a company not ready what then? A good idea is great but what is the point if the company is too focused on opening or remodeling stores? We are setting our selves up to fail if we cant service our selves let alone getting product to the consumer.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Corporate in Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Commerce, CA

I have been working at Smart & Final full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment
    Successful company
    Great co-workers
    Company Values

Cons

Not enough time in the day

Great place, great fellow associates

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Smart & Final full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is growing rapidly, which means plenty of promotional opportunities for those who are interested. There's a tuition reimbursement program, a very cool recognition program which allows peers, bosses, everyone to share a quick compliment via social media. Your fellow associates are engaged and teamwork is a key element of the culture.

Cons

The pace is fast, and the workload is sometimes challenging.

Continue doing all the communication around results and growth - it keeps everyone engaged.

Company Review

Current Employee - Lead FMA in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Lead FMA in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Smart & Final part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This a great company to work for, it helps you grow with it.

Cons

You have to be able to provide great and friendly customer service. Also, be able to allocate when you are in a management position

Treat your subordinate with respect and dignity all the time. Just think about how you would like to be treated

Enjoyable, Fair and Fun

I have been working at Smart & Final full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people, pay and benefits.

Cons

People who don't understand what we are and don't care to listen and learn.

Keep up the good work

I have worked at Smart & Final for almost 3 yrs

Current Employee - Area Trainer
    Current Employee - Area Trainer

I have been working at Smart & Final full-time

Pros

I have not been with the company for that long almost 3 years I started of at the bottom as a service clerk less than a month later i got promoted to a cashier almost a year later supervisor now a year and half later I have advanced to upper management. I did all of that in less than 3 years this company promotes growth. And not just that they are very strong with supporting there associates to continue there education. They continue to focus on the needs and concerns of there associates and the needs of there community. They are always working at developing ways to increase associate engagement. They have a big hand in there community and continue to provide jobs for a lot of people daily. Hard work dose not go unnoticed. There is always new and better things that are developing everyday to support the growth of its associate SMART AND FINAL CARES!!!

Cons

Just as any grocery business

Corporate Employee

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Commerce, CA

I have been working at Smart & Final full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is great opportunity for growth and advancement.

Cons

There is not always sufficient time allowed to complete certain job tasks. You have to work at 100 mph all the time.

Give more time to employees to complete tasks.

Growing Company

I have been working at Smart & Final full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart & Final is a growing company with a lot of opportunity for advancement. I have a great management team, and all associates work well together with great teamwork.

Cons

Better opportunities are offered if you live near the corporate offices i.e. educational classes towards advancement, corporate positions, etc., but with more Smart & Final Extra stores opening, more dept's are opened up for associates to advance.

cashier

I have been working at Smart & Final part-time

Pros

training offered was pretty good

Cons

compensation was not worth the time put in

promotions