Smart & Final Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
72 reviews filtered by
3.7
David G. Hirz

Pros
  • That means there is a lot of room for growth (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay at entry level for very hard work (in 4 reviews)

• Working full time hours but still a part time associate (in 4 reviews)

Information overload...in a good way

Current Employee - Human Resources Department
    Current Employee - Human Resources Department

I have been working at Smart & Final full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have worked retail before this position. The format is the same. However, Smart and Final is different in the way that it treats the associates.I have found from personal experience that the emphasis on training is more nurturing and more detailed than my previous employer. I haven't been with the company that long. I have had to learn a lot of information VERY quickly, but I have never had a better support system than here.
    We have killer benefits! And one of our key results is increased associate engagement. There is this whole website where you can basically give a shout out to your fellow associates and tell them what an awesome job they are doing. It really is an awesome place to work.

Cons

Some challenges at working for this company is similar to at any grocery store--labor! Labor is tight and sometimes it makes a harder push on sales.

I guess one area of opportunity is to further push that envelope of customer service and further stress our values.

2. Always have to be on your A game - Load Crew

Current Employee - Load Crew in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Load Crew in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Smart & Final part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours as well as flexible work leave/time off as long as you let upper management know 2-4 weeks prior. Be prepared for a fast paced environment.

Cons

Working the load, I get looked down upon for some-else's mistake or work rate. Lots of responsibility - same pay minumum wage pay as runner & cashier, 3x the work.

Take it easy on your employees and breathe. Realize that employment turn overs are b/c of the substantial work load you place on them.

3. Favors certain people

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smart & Final part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The manager, key people, and my coworkers are really friendly people, and it is a fun work environment. It pays okay, with sick hours and it is easy to request days off. Sometimes, a friendly comment or smile from a customer can really make your day.We usually do the same thing every day, so you know what your work day will be like and what to expect.

Cons

For me at least, I usually stay on the register majority of the day, while other people are doing all sorts of different things(i.e. produce, pulling down, ordering stock, tags). I don't know why it is that they barely ever let me learn to do new things. It makes me doubt myself as a worker and lowers my confidence level for me to know that they think I can't do anything else. I try my best to come to work with a smile, but after 7 hours of register, it is difficult to keep that front consistently. I always wonder if it is because I am a girl that they wont let me do anything else in the store, that I am too weak or stupid.

Make sure that all your employees get an equal opportunity to learn new things, if you want them to keep working for the company.

5. Good work bad pay

I worked at Smart & Final

Pros

It was buddy always helping on register and customers

Cons

Pay bad and managers don't take you seriously

6. It is good to work for and the people are nice and kind to me

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Capistrano Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Capistrano Beach, CA

I have been working at Smart & Final part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Getting along with coworkers doin carts bagging sweeping and becoming friends with my coworkers

Cons

I'm getting less hours and I want more money

7. Cashier

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Smart & Final

Pros

Work around school schedule
    Co-workers are great
    Good benefits if full time

Cons

Not enough hours for part time associates. During certain times of year, you can get as many as 25 hrs a week. Low season, you can get as little as 8 hrs a week. Thats barely enough to put gas in car just to get to work.

Keep minimum hours at least at 15 a week or you will start losing good employees.

8. Fast pace and growing, need to be on you A game everyday

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Smart & Final

Pros

Growth, Idea driven, everyone is held to company core values, your view counts and is ready to be a industry leader that other companies can emulate.

Cons

With growth Infrastructure becomes outdated very quickly. The distribution centers and stores are dependent on antiquated warehouse management systems, no lead time, stores need to be on the same page as supply chain even if it means hard cut offs.

If customer service at all levels is key we have to start somewhere. Put the brakes on and install up to date warehouse management systems, buying systems and ordering processes (demand planners and production/inventory planners) compartmentalize better and hold accountable those departments. We are in the big leagues, opening up stores is good but suffering while doing so can be more damaging for EBITA when it comes to operating costs. Focus on an infrastructure that can handle the growth before building new stores or remodels, throwing bodies and OT is not the answer, becoming efficient is. Invest in ourselves or the same thing that happened to Fresh and Easy will happen to us. EBITA will be severely affected and our new shareholder wont like our balance sheet when they see what is impacting our bottom line and when they do see it will we be able to answer the hard questions?? when they see they invested in a company not ready what then? A good idea is great but what is the point if the company is too focused on opening or remodeling stores? We are setting our selves up to fail if we cant service our selves let alone getting product to the consumer.

I have worked at Smart & Final for almost 3 yrs

Current Employee - Area Trainer
    Current Employee - Area Trainer

I have been working at Smart & Final full-time

Pros

I have not been with the company for that long almost 3 years I started of at the bottom as a service clerk less than a month later i got promoted to a cashier almost a year later supervisor now a year and half later I have advanced to upper management. I did all of that in less than 3 years this company promotes growth. And not just that they are very strong with supporting there associates to continue there education. They continue to focus on the needs and concerns of there associates and the needs of there community. They are always working at developing ways to increase associate engagement. They have a big hand in there community and continue to provide jobs for a lot of people daily. Hard work dose not go unnoticed. There is always new and better things that are developing everyday to support the growth of its associate SMART AND FINAL CARES!!!

Cons

Just as any grocery business

10. Corporate Employee

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Commerce, CA

I have been working at Smart & Final full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is great opportunity for growth and advancement.

Cons

There is not always sufficient time allowed to complete certain job tasks. You have to work at 100 mph all the time.

Give more time to employees to complete tasks.

11. Growing Company

I have been working at Smart & Final full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart & Final is a growing company with a lot of opportunity for advancement. I have a great management team, and all associates work well together with great teamwork.

Cons

Better opportunities are offered if you live near the corporate offices i.e. educational classes towards advancement, corporate positions, etc., but with more Smart & Final Extra stores opening, more dept's are opened up for associates to advance.