SmartBear Software

Updated August 26, 2014
4.1

SmartBear Software CEO Doug McNary
Doug McNary

Yes, there were changes. But now that made for a stronger company

Current Employee - Sales Engineer  in  Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Beverly, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

After seen many changes in the company, today SmartBear is still a strong company and still definitely a great place to work:
    - There are some great people working here. Ones that know what work requires but also they have fun and know that regular interactions do not require memos or red tape
    - Some tough new management came in this year. But they've positioned the company for growth and through the tough questioning they set some very realistic goals
    - SmartBear is about to move much closer to Boston, so (at least for me) the commute is going to improve
    - There's still a ton of opportunity for growth. And in my years here I've always been encouraged and supported to take on anything that benefits the product I am working for

Cons

The new "no shorts or t-shirts" rule interferes with my superhero shirt Friday tradition.

- Casual Fridays
    ...
    - Really thought lots about it and can't come up with anything else realistic that isn't in place already

A refreshing reboot and a fun place to work

I have been working at SmartBear Software

Pros

Not a day goes by without smiles and laughter - we have a great time together and still manage to get an incredible amount of work accomplished. The new leadership is focused on honing our portfolio and establishing the company as a leader in the industry. It's nice to go out to industry conferences and meet-ups, and feel proud of where you work and the products you represent.

Cons

the location is less than convenient - most of us have a tough commute. But we're relocating closer into downtown Boston, which will make that situation much better.

Keep the pace going - we're on a trajectory and the energy in the place makes it feel that way.

Great Career Opportunity for Mid Size, Growing Tech Company in Boston

Current Employee - CMO  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - CMO in Boston, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am the new CMO with 10 weeks into the company as of end of May 2014. Prior to joining, I served as a consultant. What I found while consulting was the huge potential SmartBear has in some very exciting markets with a lot of growth potential. I also discovered a great marketing team. For me, the chance to accelerate the company growth, work with a top marketing team, hire, expand globally, and move from Beverly into the city over time, was too much to pass up. Couple that with some new APM technology acquired from Lucierna to expand AlertSite and the company is very compelling. If you are looking for a great opportunity with a mid-sized tech company in Boston that is profitable and growing, SmartBear is a great place to look. If you are hiring for a marketing position, you will definitely meet me and can ask why I chose to join. If you are hiring for another position, ask to get on my calendar and I can tell you why I am so excited about working at SmartBear.

Cons

Right now, marketing is understaffed and we are hiring. Lots to do, until we get staffed up, we either have to pass on great opportunities or stretch to get work done. More hiring, faster!

Beverly location not ideal - but company changing to Boston/North Station/Summerville location soon.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Toxic Environment

I worked at SmartBear Software for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, though the post from my Russian colleague would indicate that's not true globally. There are some really talented people (all of whom are looking for other jobs).

Cons

Micromanagement. The CEO has a desk in the corner of the main floor, which is home to the sales, marketing, and services functions. It's not to make him more accessible or part of the team, however. It’s higher than the other desks for the purpose of monitoring who is at their desks, for how long, and when they come and go. He's even known to sit by the front door late on friday afternoons. It’s no wonder the moniker “Mr. Burns” (from The Simpsons) is used by employees to refer to him.

The CEO recently addressed the company and referred to it as “a factory.” This is completely accurate. In fact, if you look at the management principles applied in the 19th century, you’ll find remarkable parallels.

If you're looking for reasons why morale is poor, quality people are leaving weekly, and performance is suffering... look in a mirror.

Lots of hype from Marketing and Sales, but little substance due to multiple massive layoffs

Former Employee - Sales  in  Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Beverly, MA

I worked at SmartBear Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Honestly cannot think of any

Cons

When a company starts getting a reputation for greed and profit-maximization rather than product development and employee satisfaction, the cool factor tends to suffer. SmartBear screwed-over workers with years of experience at the company in favor of less experienced workers with lower salaries. This is not something the company wants people to think or even hear about when they see the SmartBear logo.

Its not necessary to humiliate employees when firing them or laying them off. Just do what you need to do without the extra lack of professionalism and tact.

interesting and fast paced, maybe a little chaotic at times

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time

Pros

you will never be bored, plenty of work to do, new and interesting things being created all the time

Cons

sometimes it feels like we are moving too fast, not spending enough time on planning and understanding what we are trying to get done. the last year has brought a large number of organizational changes and staffing changes that can be unsettling.

A rolling stone gathers no moss.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive compensation, overall highly functional, great people and management, very goal oriented. Encourages employees to thrive, promoting where credit is due, enablement is out the roof. Always something to challenge and affirm your efforts here.

Cons

Acquisitions over the years have not always been handled well, leaving some folks feeling jilted. Times change, people should move on too. Fast-paced growth sometimes leaves management loose ends, but quick to be resolved in most cases.

Keep listening to your employees, they know what's up. Quickly resolve poorly handled situations. Build on the team spirit throughout each cycle instead of just at the end.

As the business grows, you must scale. That means some tweaks/change, but we're headed in the right direction!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is growing -- growth means change. But one thing remains: Our core values.
    Employees are invested in the company's success and management is invested in the employee's success and we celebrate both.

Cons

Need to have visibility in the Boston area. May be too isolated in Beverly.

Keep doing what you're doing... "Companies that grow for the sake of growth or that expand into areas outside their core business strategy often stumble. On the other hand, companies that build scale for the benefit of their customers and shareholders more often succeed over time." - Jamie Dimon, President and CEO of JPMorgan Chase

The Marketing team writes all of the reviews on Glass Door so only a couple of them are honest

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Beverly, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good software, good market. Good pay.

Cons

Terrible leadership. Terrible work environment. It was good until Joe Krivickas joined and since them the company has circled the drain.

Need to change CEO.

A big mistake in my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I worked at SmartBear Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sales team is young and naive. Lots of primary colors, like a pre-school. Lots of ball-playing and toys. They have a popcorn machine. Oh, and they give you free sneakers in your first month of employment. Perfect place for young ones fresh out of college, and those who are looking to move up from the drive-through at Burger King

Cons

Product priorities change on a dime. This is a "serious churn" shop that has gone through a half-dozen Chief Marketing Officers in a three-year time frame. Terminated employees are threatened with litigation if they post negative reviews here on Glassdoor. Company in the past three months has fired the CEO, head of Dev, and Product owners. Company is inflexible to changes or improvements in the "way we have always done this"

The brand name is anything but recognisable in the industry, but they are pushing a "100% inbound marketing" model. Easily a dozen products, but no common UI between any of them. Information from the products is siloed, very 1990's

Company big shots claim "SmartBear software is the most used software on the planet", based solely on the number of downloads of the free tools. Yet, the brand name is still a mystery to most in the industry.

I really wish Management had let negative reviews be posted on this site, as I would have been able to make a more informed decision about working there. This Potemkin Village approach is only here to keep salaries down, as they want more fresh-faced and naive recruits to believe the hype and rush the doors.

You have let some awesome talent slip through your fingers.
    Stop believing that your software is so recognizable in the industry; it isn't... anywhere. It isn't even showing up on your competitor's grids.
    Stop abusing the kids.

SmartBear Software Photos

Worked for SmartBear Software? Contribute to the Community!