SmartBrief Reviews

3.6
SmartBrief President & CEO Rick Stamberger
Rick Stamberger

1. Awesome place to grow your career

I have been working at SmartBrief

Pros

- Get hands on experience managing partners, launching products, and coordinating projects at a very early stage in your career.
    - Work with fun people in a great downtown location

Cons

- There are downsides to anything. At SmartBrief, the benefits probably could have been improved as the staff matured, and I would have loved a more structured learning & development program. But overall SmartBrief was a fantastic place for me and I would recommend it to a friend.

Positive working environment at a growing media company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are the best thing about SmartBrief. Everyone is enthusiastic about our products and mission. It's gratifying to work with a group of people who all believe in what we're doing. Although there isn't always another position or promotion on the horizon, there are always opportunities to do and learn more. I've held three different jobs at the company, but I've done something different almost every year I've been there. The key is to identify the opportunities you want (beyond just a title) and start working toward them. This is a company that rewards proactive and innovative thinkers if you act on your ideas. The company also offers a a considerable amount of flexibility, depending on what your job is. I particularly benefited from that flexibility when I returned to work after maternity leave (slow transition back, some regular work-from-home days, schedule shift to accommodate my child care, etc).

Cons

It's a small-to-medium-sized company, so there isn't always another position to move into when you think you've mastered the one you're in. There aren't necessarily a lot of promotional opportunities. But because the company is always changing, there is always something new to work on. Sometimes you just have to think outside of what you're assigned. That often means working longer hours or really moving outside your comfort zone, but it's almost always worth it to work on something that challenges or engages you. No one is going to tell you what you can do to expand your opportunities for growth in the company -- you need to find it yourself. That's an idea that can be freeing to some people and daunting to others.

Advice to Management

More structured training around building leadership skills.

Better than it should be

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is an ambitious company, both in the company-wide goals and in the day-to-day life of the employees. People who work here tend to be competitive and highly-motivated, and the management expects people to work hard and smart to succeed. This place is a meritocracy.

What SmartBrief does (publishing enewsletters for trade associations) is fairly boring, but that doesn't seep into the workplace. The people here are energetic, the opportunities for development and advancement are plentiful, and there are tons of perks (lots of happy hours and parties, trips and events, sports teams, and the ever-publicized free beer machine).

Cons

There are a lot of workplaces where you can "coast." This is not one of them. There are metrics on everything, and you are constantly compared both to your colleagues and to yourself (what you did last week, last month, last year).

You won't be able to impress your friends and family with where you work, because none of them have ever heard of SmartBrief. You won't be able to brag about what you do all day, because it's universally hard to explain to outsiders.

This doesn't seem like a company that you can grow old at. It's a small company, with a finite number of available positions, so it's hard to get promoted beyond a certain level. Even when positions are available, they tend to recruit senior-level candidates from the outside. SmartBrief loses good employees to better offers fairly often.

Advice to Management

It's obvious that there has been an effort to make improvements, especially around communicating changes and internal information, and in providing training. Don't rest on your laurels. Continue to push these efforts. There is no excuse for a company this small to do a poor job in communication, education, or integrating/orienting the workforce.

5. Fully satisfactory

I have been working at SmartBrief part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SmartBrief has fantastic company culture. Senior management is brilliant and coworkers are friendly, entertaining and make the office an enjoyable place.

Cons

There are not many opportunities for career growth.

6. Sales

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time

Pros

This is the best time ever to be selling digital advertising and SmartBrief is great in the sense that you get an unprecedented amount of responsibility so early on in your career-- if you work hard, it will pay off and there is uncapped commission which really is rare these days. We are working among some extremely talented people and everyone should take advantage of their willingness to be a mentor-- especially recent grads- you'll learn a lot.

The office environment is great- everyone really gets along and recently SmartBrief started a softball team so it's a great way to spend more time with people in other departments. This summer each department has been hosting their own happy hour for the rest of the company, which has been a lot of fun.

It's disappointing to see so many complaints about HR- it seems like some people forget that as we expand into a larger organization, we also have to go through some learning curves. In the past year HR has brought on an incredible talent team, and it is amazing to watch the change in how we go about bringing on new talent, as well as developing the talent already here at SmartBrief. Whether you take advantage of it, that is up to you.

Cons

There is low pay for entry level positions until you get promoted into an AE role and can start making commission- but if you bust your ass for a year then it's totally worth it.

Advice to Management

Start being harder on people who don't make their quotas-- there should be no excuse, since they set them.

7. Keep on doing what you are doing

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SmartBrief is a great company that is moving from a start-up atmosphere to a maturing organization. I see lots of growth and development opportunities for myself and others in the future.

Cons

Management has been too patient with poor performers. I am writing because some recent reviews here are totally unfair. I recgonize the people who wrote some of them; they were poor performers who were dragging down the rest of us and are now anonymously griping about a really good company and raising issues that don't exist. Why don't you take a look in the mirror instead of lying?

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead wood faster. We're behind you.

8. Best Company That I Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing place to work, phenomenal culture, flat organization where your ideas get heard and your work contributes directly to a growing company. Right product, right time. Employees genuinely care about one another to the point where it feels like your colleagues are extended family.

Cons

Can't really think of any cons. Great benefits and tons of perks. If I had to pick something they could add, offer gym memberships for all employees, but that's far down on my list.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

9. Great people and a good atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at SmartBrief

Pros

The management and people around you make your job easier and make the office a great place to be. The compensation above fair.

Cons

Wish there was more mingling between different departments more frequently.

10. Great internship and learned a lot!

I worked at SmartBrief

Pros

The people are great to work with!

Cons

Only a summer internship so not much I can say here.

11. Invaluable career experience

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great culture that encourages collaboration and professional development. A great place to start for entry level positions and mid level management.

Cons

Getting promoted beyond the mid level management is not impossible but extremely difficult. The common turnover deals with entry level positions with a few management positions. VPs and Senior Managers tend to get hired from the outside. I'd advise a new employee to consider their time at SmartBrief to have the shelf life of 2 years.

Advice to Management

Open up the communication about larger goals that transcend beyond the quarterly check ins. Many managers lack true leadership to expose and guide to the larger goals at hand.

RSS Feed </> Embed