SmartRecruiters

3.9

Jerome Ternynck

Great Culture. Visionary Leadership

I have been working at SmartRecruiters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at SmartRecruiters is unparalleled. The leadership team is brilliant, the products are innovative and loved by our customers, and the people are by far the best and brightest in the industry. It's enjoyable to come to work every day and surround yourself with and learn from these people.

Cons

If you are someone who likes a fast-paced environment where you will have the opportunity to have true ownership at almost any level, then you will enjoy it here.

Continue fostering a culture that thrives on innovation

Work with Purpose

I have been working at SmartRecruiters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is focused on building a really great product and, being a startup, is still agile enough to deliver.

Refreshing to work with people who care (a lot) about what they are putting out there as well as with a management team who understands why this matters.

If you can deliver, you will be empowered to do so.

Cons

This is a startup so don’t plan on coasting or flying under the radar.

Don’t lose sight of quality as the company and competition continue to expand rapidly.

Only startup that matters in recruiting space.

I have been working at SmartRecruiters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best executive team in the industry. Smartest and highest velocity R&D team in the industry. I have 8+ years of experience in the online recruiting space and there is no other company I'd work for. Recruiting is an expensive, important, unsolved problem for companies and for job-seekers, and what has been achieved so far by the likes of LinkedIn and by enterprise software companies in the space represents just the beginning of what is possible.

Cons

Extremely fast rate of innovation makes it really challenging to keep product strategy, marketing, and sales perfectly synced in real-time.

(IMO: Being in hyper-growth phase as a startup means that you join this type of environment with the mindset of teasing, capturing, and scaling brilliance out of a storm of ideas and initiatives.)

I.e., don't join if you can't hack it at a high growth startup.

Continue to place bets on the highest potential, highest aptitude, highest energy employees and they will stretch and grow for you and for themselves.

Dec 8, 2014COO

Thanks for your response. We are in this tidal wave of demand and change with you and are focused on ensuring that our best and brightest continue to receive the accolades, responsibility, and career ... More

Smart People, Motivated Teams, Fast Innovation

Current Employee - Senior Director, Pro Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Pro Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SmartRecruiters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've work in several bay area companies and not yet had the opportunity to work with such a talented, intellectual, and driven group of professionals. Within weeks of joining, I was learning and being challenged.

Cons

We move fast in every aspect of the business. If you aren't ready to move fast with everyone else, you'll get left behind.

Dec 8, 2014COO

We are indeed moving fast. That being said, our direction forward has never been clearer and we don't plan to leave "too many behind".

Doing the best work of my career on a team I enjoy to work with!

I have been working at SmartRecruiters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At the end of the day, it is all about the people. And there is not a smarter, more passionate group of folks who will work together to figure it out and get stuff done. And catered lunches 3x per week!

Cons

It's a startup so growing pains are expected. There's also so much to do, so little time. Prioritization and focus are a priority for all of us. Culture is still a work in progress. That being said, each employee has the responsibility and can be the change they want to see in the company.

Recent changes have been super on-point, keep the fresh momentum alive.

Amazing Opportunity to Change the World; typical growing pains of a passionate fast growing start-up

I have been working at SmartRecruiters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1) A real ability to disrupt an entire industry
    2) a bevy of thrilled customers who tweet their love for the company and product
    3) opportunity to help shape the company's strategy
    4) terrific compensation, benefits & location

Cons

1) Its a start up focused on changing an industry! So start-up hours and focus.
    2) Working through fits n starts on the right hires and the right approach (majority of issues in rear window)
    3) relatively flat org (a pro for some) but can mean not perfect delegation yet - on its way

1) Continue your focus on growing the team and moving towards more delegation (typical when company goes from 25 employees to 75 in a year)
    2) Watch the work-life balance. Even though passionate type a employees tend to work more than they should, remind them to take a break

Dec 8, 2014COO

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully you have seen quite a bit of positive change since you posted this. We know our teams are extremely passionate given the opportunity we have here to change an ... More

Don't Be Fooled.

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SmartRecruiters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Mostly great group of people. Everyone's insanely smart.
    - Location is central.
    - Free lunch MWF

Cons

- Value a culture of motivation by fear. Environment of second-guessers.
    - Lack of investment from senior management. Started as an intern when there were 10 people in the room and stayed for 2 years never once receiving feedback, advice, or encouragement from the CEO.
    - No structure, senior management is constantly changing their minds.
    - Low pay, lame benefits.
    - You'll regularly find employees crying or on the verge of a panic attack from stress.
    - Known bullies in the office, no one does anything about it.

- Start valuing the people that work so hard to meet your ridiculous expectations.

Dec 8, 2014COO

We are disheartened that this was your experience here. We have taken this feedback to heart and put in much more focused individual success plans and metrics, brought in a new wave of management ... More

Awesome

I have been working at SmartRecruiters

Pros

A driven bunch of ppl making terrific progress by the day.

Cons

Too many things happening..but that's typical of a good start-up.

Don't do it!

I have been working at SmartRecruiters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch every other day. That's about it.

Cons

Senior managers are constantly changing their mind and contradict each other, middle managers have no clue and worst culture I have ever been exposed to. Passive aggressive, very critical, public humiliation and the CEO thinks it is his military from France. Recently started and can not wait to get the hell out of there.

Get your act together. Start making decisions and build a team.

Dec 8, 2014COO

What can we say - different strokes for different folks. We hope that you are much happier in your new job.