SmartRevenue

Add Photos

John Dranow

Ethnographer

Ethnographer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe brands and agencies you work for are among the biggest in the world. It can be very interesting work. The data you collect and analyze tells you a lot about human shopping behavior. It is even helping me write my thesis!

ConsThere needs to be more transparency and the technology is outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not fair to keep people wondering about the negotiation and relationships with clients. You need to let all employees know if a contract or negotiation with a client goes sour.

Ethnographer

ProsYou set can work your own hours. Management is very, very friendly. You get to meet a lot of interesting people.
    They pay you for what you do. People at this company all have degrees and they are very polished.

ConsThey take too, too long to pay you, they also have an issue with invoices and their software. I am always having to resubmit work over and over again. They are a bit disorganized. You are lucky if you get paid after 3 weeks of submitting invoice...they mail you your check.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people sooner than the ' 2 weeks' if everything goes right. Stop mailing people their checks and start direct deposit.

Positive experience over all

ProsFlexible and cares about your input on projects

ConsProjects are irregular and sometimes clients change their fielding locations on the fly

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Little Iffy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe nature of the work is challanging. The pay is adaquate. Contract employment provides flexibility for part time work. Team leaders are very good, although you never meet them face to face.

ConsRediculous payroll structure. It could be as long as 55 days from when you work to when you get paid, At BEST it takes 40 days to receive payment of any sort. Payroll Manager has no phone number.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is understandable that they want to run a low overhead, totally virtual business, but they lose much in terms of the reliability of the data collected. Payroll payment structure is absurd. Later this survey asks about Senior Management and the CEO. No one knows who these people are, where they reside, or anything else about them.

On the job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally applies your marketing and observation skills

ConsStanding up for a few hours at a time

Only if you like uncertanty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlex, good pay, work-life balance

Consbad management, remote management, bad communication

Overall good company to work for

Ethnographer (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe hourly pay is really good.

ConsStanding for long hours in random parts of a retailer store, interrupting shoppers to do a "10 min" questionnaire.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate some type of event where Ethnographers can physically meet the management for Smart Revenue and other Ethnographers.

Great salary for recent graduates! Must enjoy talking with people!

Ethnographer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-Good starting wage for recent graduates
    -Independent work with flexible hours
    -Enjoyable if you are outgoing and like meeting/speaking with new people on a regular basis

Cons-The technology is outdated and slow!

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade technology! Keep ethnographers in the loop with opportunities for upward mobility within the company.

entrepreneurial, fast-growing company in the right space

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosthe opportunity to grow and learn is great, this is a fast growing small company with lots of potential, many people have started part-time, then joined the company full-time, then receiving promotions into manager level positions

Conslong hours with no compensating time off, many hours in the evenings and on weekends, with many long nights and no comp time, turnover higher than average due to work load, but at least we are busy

Good for College Students

Ethnographer (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsBeing right out of college it offers decent money.

ConsNot a very good work schedule. You never really know when to expect your next assignment or where it will be. Some of the stores you work for are really strict and unccesarily odd about what their requirements are about dress code. You also have to wait a long time to be paid. Turn in the invoice on the 10th of one month and get paid on the 5th of the next. Almost a months time, not very good when you're pressed for time to be on a work schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that I know of, this is just how the company works and if the extra money helps then it does.

Worked for SmartRevenue? Contribute to the Community!