SmartStyle

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

1.9

CEO

Paid much better then other Regis divisions

Current Employee - Salon Manager  in  Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Lakeland, FL

Pros

You get paid commission vs hourly so if you hit your goal you get a chunk of it. That is incentive and you make much more that way then working hourly. ie: 50% of $2000 in service sales (regardless of hours worked) is much better then $10 an hour for 80 hours. excellent location, never short on walk ins!

Cons

company seems to constantly be "reinventing itself" causing lots of confusion and extra work resulting in frustrated stylists. Seems like company is taking away creativity and freedom from the stylists and taking away authority from the managers.

Management is worthwhile if you are in a busy salon with willing stylists. Otherwise its ALOT of excess work with little incentive. Be prepared to work 24/7 if you have to and dont complain about it.

Nothing for good stylists who want to grow

Current Employee - Salon Manager

Pros

If you get into a good store the atmosphere is nice.

Cons

No advanced education or encouragement to find any on your own, impossible to build a clientele, and subpar product - matrix color and perms that don't hold, and designline back bar. they provide styling tools but they aren't even as good as the ones you get in school.

Provide education opportunities or an employee fund so they can take classes outside, higher pay for managers, and consider switching from matrix to goldwell color, this is a huge corporation why are you not using the best you can?

Find somewhere else

Current Employee - Salon Manager

Pros

Its a good place to build your client base.
    Health Care

Cons

Its very slow pace because SmartStyle has a bad reputation
    You get paid like crap.
    They try and make you think its "your salon" as a manager but you have no say at all.
    Huge turnover rate

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was very boring

Pros

It's a great place for a new stylist to start fresh out of school. Provides training classes, CE hours, flexible schedules

Cons

Required to sell 13% commission. Business is usually very slow so you must promote the salon by passing out business cards and coupons

Work with employees on their schedules to make it more flexible and don't pin your shift onto the employees

The pay is not worth it for the work put in.

Current Employee - Salon Manager

Pros

Incentives and prizes for sales competitions, they provide tools

Cons

company values, compensation not enough, low commission for low prices, very slow

Pay your stylists more than $6.06 per haircut

Run now!

Current Employee - Salon Manager  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Louisville, KY

Pros

Lesson in knowing who not to work for!

Cons

You have absolutely no authority as a manager to do anything. They have bottom of the barrel stylists working there. You can't fire them because they can't retain the few good ones that come along. So they hang on to the bad ones. And keep recycling bad employees over and over.

What a joke to even have a manager. Even my area supervisor isn't allowed to fire anyone.

I liked meeting the new people but I hated the pay and strict rules.

Current Employee - Manager/Stylist  in  Loganville, GA
    Current Employee - Manager/Stylist in Loganville, GA

Pros

if you have moved or relocated and need to start over and build clientele, then it is for you.

Cons

Not enough pay or commission. No benefits.

Pay your stylist more.

It payed the bills.

Pros

Good walk in client base.

Cons

They assign the managers Kindergarten charts to keep up with, and expect them to up date all of this crap while they are still trying to keep up the schedules, inventory, be put on hold forever with computer issues.
    If you or your customer need to use the bathroom you have to go out into walmart, you need food, go into walmart, because you are not allowed a fridge or microwave. It is extremely cold during the winter, and hot in the summer, due to the fact your ac and heat are regulated by someone or thing in another part of the U.S.
    While you are tryong to do everything they want,(4dx,etc..) you still need to keep your numbers for sales and customers above the staffs. (should i take care of customers and my team, or go glue some glitter on this chart for them??) My customers deserve better.

RUN FAST AS YOU CAN only gave one star because it wouldnt let me chose nothing

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

Pros

free services 50% product discount once a month

Cons

crappy pay crappy manager always feeling put down customers horribe walmart what do you expect

Hire better salon managers and District leaders

Can't take Anymore

Current Employee - Manager/Stylist
    Current Employee - Manager/Stylist

Pros

Good walk in client base.

Cons

I am paid 50% commission on Services and 8% on Product. I am expected to keep a Scoreboard updated daily which means I have to get on a Wireless Station every morning, that never works right. It is a very time consuming task. I keep up with inventory and store orders. I spend up to an hour at a time on the phone with the Helpline dealing with computer issues. I have to cover shifts for staff that make it a habit of calling in and missing work. I am the manager but not allowed to do write ups with out it going to the regional director first and he never approves the write up anyway so I don't bother calliing anymore, therefore she continues to do it. All the stylist's also work on commission but the company prints coupons on the back of Walmart receipts for haircuts as low as 7.99 the stylist receives less than 2$ for a haircut . I have to be on hours of conference calls 3 days a week one of wich is on my day off. I complain that I do not get paid for this and they tell me to edit my time. Really! I work on commission. Regis is a horrible company to work for I have invested 4 years to this company and I am going to have to start over because I am just sick and tired of working for this crappy company.

Get a Clue !!!

Worked for SmartStyle? Contribute to the Community!