SmartZip Analytics
smartzip.com Pleasanton, CA 50 to 149 Employees

SmartZip Analytics Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Avi Gupta

Fast growing company, exciting product space, friendly and open culture

Manager (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

Pros1) Open door policy with executives, easy to communicate and get ideas across. Friendly people throughout the organization.

2) Solving hard customer problems through cutting edge technologies.

3) Over the last 12 months, the company has grown tremendously building a well rounded product offering end to end solutions to customers; at the same time internal engineering and client service processes have shown great improvements as the company scales. Change is welcome here and change has been for good..

4) Love the newly added office space and HR initiatives!

ConsChallenges as with any growing company: Lot of work with limited resources. Prioritization is always a challenge, but it also keeps you on your toes

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Young energetic sales team

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsThe company is growing very rapidly with a very promising future. The management team is very supportive and gives you the flexibility for a great work/ life balance. You have the ability to make a lot of money here.

ConsGrowing as fast as we are the clients can occasionally slip through the cracks.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in new verticals.

SmartZip Analytics HR Director responded to this review May 14, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback. We agree that SmartZip has a very promising future!

Fast growing company that is a great place to work.

Sales (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsI have been with SmartZip since its early days - primarily working in sales. The growth of the company has been fun to watch, with a significant increase in sales and number of employees. Sr. Management has a great plan to continue this phenomenal growth, while maintaining a fun working environment. As with any small/fast-growing company, hard work and flexibility are important. Each employee must contribute to the success of the company, or move on. This is not the place to work if you have a "9 to 5" mentality. Sr. Management is 100% open and available for suggestions and improvements to products and working environment.

ConsAs with any fast-growing company, keeping up with the growth and product-related issues can be challenging. Significant resources are dedicated to manage these challenges. The number of successful clients continues to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep those shares coming!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company on the cusp of changing an industry

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGame-changing technology
    Predictive analytics = superpower
    Opportunity for growth
    Visionary leadership
    Great location
    Friendly coworkers
    Flexible working hours

ConsCramped start-up, but expanding to a new floor soon.

SmartZip Analytics HR Director responded to this review May 14, 2014 EditDelete
    We are very glad that you are pleased with the future potential of SmartZip! And yes, we've grown so much that we just added another office and are no longer cramped!

I am growing with a great team!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsThere are a lot of pros to Smartzip. The pay is decent, the dress code is lax, and the company is heading in a good direction. It is a great sign when we are spending lots of money on marketing, continually building out our product, and gaining more customers every month. My co-workers come from many different backgrounds and have really helped me develop some good skills.

ConsI don't think our leadership is very transparent with their employees. Also, it seems like there are key requests made to help with the effectiveness of our job that often gets dismissed. These are common problems with any company though.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere will be less complaints if you are much more open with your employees. If there is good news, tell us. If there is bad news, tell us too and then tell us how we will overcome it. Perceived challenges can often be built up much bigger than reality

SmartZip Analytics HR Director responded to this review May 14, 2014 EditDelete
    Glad to hear that you have so many "pros" working at SmartZip. And we thank you for your constructive feedback. Our goal is to be very transparent and we will commit to ensure we do a better job in ... More

So many years of sub-par technical leadership

Tech Or Service (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

Pros1. The sales team is continuously kept fresh by bringing in new ones and getting rid of old ones. I suppose this is good for the company but bad for the sales persons.
    2. The worker bees in engineering and data are nice and pleasant.

Cons1. You will notice many positive reviews from sales. When they are brought in they are treated like royalty --- at first. Be careful.
    2. The technical leadership has floundered for so long and actually detracted from moving product forward. If you interview here, ask some straight technical questions and look for straight and accurate technical answers. You won't get it. There is a severe lack of understanding under a guise of jargon and word-smithing.
    3. Closed room berating happens and you can sometimes hear the yelling and insults. It is not too common but I have seen at least four people leave the rooms crying.
    4. Customer/Client service is worked and over-worked. A philosophy was mentioned about "breaking people". I will not mention who in the leadership said that. This same person is known to badmouth his "underlings" and mock and joke about their abilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI fear that advice will be ignored as usual. But nonetheless, I offer it. Please look at yourselves. Look deep within yourselves and ask this: If I were to step down and bring someone else who does a much better job than I, wouldn't I be better off?" After all, you have been given special stock and lots of common. It would be in your interest to actually bring in people who can make things move. There is so much potential and you are the ones preventing success.

I beg you to seriously look within. Be open and honest with yourself. Put aside the pride. You will end up winners. Step down gracefully. You've given a bit to the company, I will admit. It's time to move on.

SmartZip Analytics HR Director responded to this review May 14, 2014 EditDelete
    I am sorry to hear of your experience; this is not the work environment that we are trying to create. I am surprised by most of your comments; however we take all feedback very seriously. Since it ... More

I enjoy coming to work!

Sales (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsVery fun, open environment.
    The company is growing rapidly and there is clear path for advancement opportunities.
    I really enjoy the people that I work with. The energy in the office is infectious.
    I feel like I make an impact on the company culture every day, and my voice is heard.
    We are breaking record after record for sales revenue! We've gone from being unknown, to the go-to player in this market.

ConsThe company is growing rapidly. While this is also a positive, it also becomes very apparent where we are deficient. Occasionally it seems like we hire someone just to fill a spot, rather than really finding well qualified professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working to add vertical markets.
    Hire only well-qualified people.

SmartZip Analytics HR Director responded to this review May 14, 2014 EditDelete
    We are glad to hear you are happy working at SmartZip! As we grow, we will continue promoting the culture you have enjoyed so far. We also appreciate the constructive feedback.

Good people, good product, good outlook

Pros1. The People! The camaraderie is top notch. When people are making smoothies in the kitchen (with out new Vitamix the company provided), people are always asking how my day is going and chatting about their days.

2. My Boss! My direct supervisor has a very open door policy (though we are all in cubicles). My supervisor and I have weekly 1:1's where I gain clear knowledge of my strengths and what I can improve upon/ways to get myself to the next level for my personal career goals.

3. The FUN Stuff! As mentioned above, the office purchased a Vitamix blender for us! We have a great staff that is always ready to head out after a long day and celebrate the start of the weekend. The company provided a cruise around the Bay with lunch for our Holiday Party. We have bean bags and yoga balls.

4. The Product! We have some amazing first class Realtors using our software. There are some great releases that have recently come out. We recently initiated an advisory council that will help guide the product to the next level.

Cons1. Space... right now it feel like we are at maximum capactiy and the office is rather tight. We are growing at a steady rate so I am assuming management has a plan for this.

2. Company goals... obviously the constant goal is to continue to move the company forward, but what else? The CEO holds company meetings every couple months, but in between, communication is sparse.

3. Recognition... my supervisor does a great job of telling me when I have done well, but I would like to hear about the "wins" of others. It helps push me to strive harder.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is fairly approachable, but please take the time to set your employees up to succeed for their career goals.

Difficult Environment, Lacking Positive Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsUnfortunately I was not able to find much positive with in such a negative environment. There were team members who tried to insulate others with out much success.

ConsManagement liked to lead by yelling and screaming. Very negative environment to work in everyday. Way to much turnover from the top down.

An innovative company with great culture and lots of room for growth!

(Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsI have enjoyed working at SmartZip. When I first started, I was a bit skeptical but once I got to know the team and learn the product, I was thrilled to be a part of such an up and coming startup. Everyone is fun, hardworking and professional. I'm learning new skills everyday that will benefit my overall professional work experience.

ConsIt can be a little noisy on the floor as we continue to expand and hire new talent, but it's good to know that we'll be growing into a new office.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to give the team manageable expectations and be communicative. Great job!

Worked for SmartZip Analytics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SmartZip Analytics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SmartZip Analytics CEO Avi Gupta. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by SmartZip Analytics employees.