Smartlink llc

Smartlink llc Chief Executive Officer Brendan Kelly
Brendan Kelly

Opportunities for Growth, Executive Involvement, Employee Recognition and Award

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Smartlink llc full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Executives are present and involved on a daily basis, company employs various methods for recognition and award of employee achievement and service, company promotes from within and offers training for new managers.

Cons

Vacation and sick policy are not competitive, but the executive staff recognizes the need for improvement. Rapid growth means some polices are outdated and not time efficient.

Good

Former Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Smartlink llc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Big Company w/ multiple departments.

Cons

Lack of help in my field.

N/A

Front Office Worker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Smartlink llc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location is a positive - close to the mall and restaurants. If you are not happy in your current position you are given the opportunity to move around the company. The HR department is new, but helpful. The bulletin board was a refreshing touch.

Cons

This company cares very little for the lower level employees. They are seen as interchangeable parts and are treated as such. If you disagree in a manner that they find argumentative you are essentially dismissed. Your work starts to be taken away so that you are forced to quit or your job becomes obsolete so they lay you off. I believe that if Brendan Kelly had any idea of how his senior management ran this company he would be appalled. He built this company on a the core value of teamwork, but it has been proven time and time again that this value is not taken seriously by senior management. The fact that interviews are left waiting for 30+ minutes, upper level employees are late to every meeting (if they even show up), lower level employees are paid poorly and are expected to work beyond their 8-5 schedule is unacceptable.

Value the lower level employees, allow the option of telecommuting, make weather related decisions in a timely manner (before 7:30 when employees are expected to arrive by 8), consider giving raises or bonuses to hardworking employees (there are other hard working individuals besides directors and above).

Do not risk your reputation working 1 minute here!

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Smartlink llc as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, you'll meet other great consultants on the projects & make life long friends!

Cons

They OWN you
    They WILL blackball you
    THEY will threaten you
    Salaries are insulting
    They are desperate & this is their reputation.
    You are a contractor forced to sign a non-compete in an industry that highly utilizes consultants
    You are their bread & butter. Leave & you're toast.
    This is the second worst company I have ever worked for. I had a friend they attempted to sue who left for a vendor that had the same customer--They lost.
    They will make frightening efforts, false claims, & literally try to destroy your professional reputation.

Get a grip! You are a temp agency at best & stop with the vindictive maliciousness. If you would allow previous employees to leave you would receive future referrals. You are losing a ton of business!!

Would not recommend

Former Employee - Site Acquisition
    Former Employee - Site Acquisition

I worked at Smartlink llc

Pros

The "pro's" would be having a job and being able to work from home if you have certain, rare positions within the company. I honestly thought this company would be a great career path, but I was sorely mistaken.

Cons

Very poor management, both within the specific branch and the overall company.
    No support whatsoever from the executive offices/headquarters.
    Insultingly terrible salaries.
    They refuse to promote people. I, along with many others in my branch, were constantly denied raises and annual reviews even though we were handling a majority of the branch's work that was constantly being piled on us.
    No training. They simply expect you to just hop right into a role, especially entry level roles, with no training but all of the responsibilities.
    Asking for help or advice? Forget it. Everyone else is too busy, why should they give you 2 mins?
    While working for a branch that was within a 3 hour drive radius, I saw the CEO and other executives of the company ONCE over the course of two years.
    A friend of mine was working for another branch of Smartlink. They gave them a 10 hour "heads up" of them closing down the branch and everyone being laid off while knowing about it for weeks ahead of time.
    Entry level position? Have fun. They push each and every responsibility down hill onto you while claiming that you have a "manager" position just to inflate your ambitions.

Care more about the people in the entry level/lower ranks and put forth better policies overall. Maybe focus less on lacrosse and more on your employees and the proper management of your branches.

Fun, entrepreneurial, winning culture

I have been working at Smartlink llc full-time

Pros

Culture focuses on winning with ethics.
    Hard work is recognized and rewarded.
    Co-workers are positive and motivated.

Cons

Pace of change can be tough for some to keep up with. Leaders work to communicate actively, however, to mitigate the negative effects.

Great growing company with lots of opportunity!

I have been working at Smartlink llc full-time

Pros

I just started working here a couple months ago and right off the bat i felt welcomed. The company is growing rapidly which means LOTS of opportunity. If they see potential in your, you will be promoted..quickly. Great atmosphere and great work ethic all around me in the office. It's very motivating. Everyone is ALL IN.

Cons

Since the company is just picking up there is a LOT of work. Some positions are doing the work of three positions. Also, some of the processes aren't the most time efficient.

Have more team bonding get togethers. These seem to raise the moral and make everyone more comfortable. Also, since they are constantly hiring new people it would be a great way to make those people feel welcomed and truly feel like part of the team right off the bat!

Great Opportunities at Smartlink!

I have been working at Smartlink llc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture at Smartlink is wonderful and opportunities are endless. I am in a great position and can't wait for the future of this company.

Cons

Change can be challenging and exciting. There are no real cons if you enjoy evolving with your company.

Thank you for always keeping up company moral and promoting drive. Everyone works hard here and it shows!

They force you into a non-compete and sue you if you work for anyone else

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Smartlink llc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very few, but good opportunities - especially if you are entry level right out of school or are a highly specialized technician in the telecom industry. Good benefits and never had an issue with timely payment of wages.

Cons

Terrible environment - I worked in-house and the best way I can describe the current management is like how Ministry of Magic became in Harry Potter after the deatheaters came to power; toxic, stressful environment, and the middle managers are all dundridges who nit-pick your work and create bureaucratic red tape like you can't even imagine. They will keep you in the same position for years without promoting you - once they decide you're not "management material" (read willing to sacrifice your values and morals to please the board), and if you aren't wise and leave the company you will find yourself in the same dead-end job for years. If you find a better opportunity with another company, not only will they NOT be happy for you or make an attempt to match the offer, but they will attempt to sue you and the company who hired you if you leave. They more than over-enforce their non-compete agreements (which is the only way they stay in business) and in an "at-will" state, this is basically extortion. Nepotism and cronyism run rampant at this company as the owner, Brendan Kelly, will only hire friends and children of his allies (his cronies run a bunch of local businesses in Annapolis and I think they fancy themselves Boardwalk Empire). I would only recommend working here if it is for a stop-gap position while you look for something else, and be prepared to change industries lest Brendan Kelly send his small army of lawyers after you.

Clean house - too many bad apples/unethical executives who only care about bottom line and not making the community better.

Motivating culture, Great potential for growth

I have been working at Smartlink llc full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Supportive, welcoming, motivating atmosphere. Everyone gets along well, encourages one another and celebrates success. I have been impressed with the lack of "office politics" compared to experiences I've had at other corporate workplaces. As the company is expanding rapidly, there is much opportunity for growth and a lot to learn.

Cons

The fast-paced environment means you must be prepared to change on a dime and be flexible based upon the changing needs of the business. It is an exciting process to be a part of and certainly eliminates monotony, but to some can be frustrating at times.