Smartsheet Reviews

Mark Mader

Services

Current Employee - Services in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Services in Bellevue, WA

Pros

-Collaborative open work environment, no issues raising ideas / solutions to leadership, peers -Great product with buy-in from almost everyone at the company -Excellent leadership throughout - open door policy is totally followed -Opportunities to work on exciting projects are based on merit not seniority -Work/Life balance is respected totally

Cons

It is difficult for employees to understand what their path is upwards - which is typical for flatter orgs. Best for management to communicate this early & often for talented + interested employees.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on - and be mindful of employees who express interest in movement horizontally and vertically

2. Fantastic Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time

Pros

Smartsheet has consistently shown that it's culture and values are lived every day. Employees are treated with respect, the executives are open and available and information is provided transparently.

Cons

Growth at our current rate can sometimes strain our systems. But it is a great problem to have.

3. Great company, great people, tremendous opportunity

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really love the company culture and the people I get to work with day in and day out. Truly top-notch individuals across all areas of the company, all career levels. Outstanding product, tremendous market opportunity and a solid strategy in place to achieve success and growth quarter over quarter. Strong emphasis on accountability, a true sense that "we're all in this together" and that every contribution counts. Senior leadership team is very approachable and seems genuinely invested in building a great company.

Cons

Typical growing pains of a company this size that's growing so fast. Always seemingly more work to do than hours in a day. (Not necessarily a con, if you enjoy a fast-paced work life -- but good time management skills are a must.)

5. Best career decision I've ever made.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management and peers genuinely care about you and your development. They see people as investments and help to improve people any way they can. It's very different from what I've done in the past where people are just resources to be used.

Cons

I guess the only "Con" would be that because the company is growing so quickly there are some growing pains. With limited resources it's tough to keep up with demand. This isn't really a con in my opinion, it makes me bring my best to work every day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Invest in people and they'll bring their best to work for you.

6. CSM

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Smartsheet (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company and solutions. Brilliant, wonderful people to work with and for. Plenty of perks in terms of snacks and other treats brought in.

Cons

Certain areas of the business lacked effective leadership. Often felt like the more perks the company provided, them more they expected you to be in the office.

Advice to Management

Give employees the ability to be individuals, not clones. Various elements of the job were extremely regimented and limited one's own freedom and creativity.

Software tester

Former Employee - Software Tester Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Tester Intern in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Free food,great team, amazing work environment. Best job I ever had!!

Cons

I have nothing to complain about such an amazing company.

Exciting and Fast Growing

I worked at Smartsheet full-time

Pros

Love working here. Everyone is so smart and does great work. Inspires me to work hard and do excellent work.

Cons

It's hard to explain what Smartsheet does in a way the people "get it". Our customers must struggle even more.

Advice to Management

Divide company into focus areas like Smartsheet for Project Management, Smartsheet for Operations, Smartsheet for Sales etc etc.

Smartsheet not a smart career move

Former Employee - Data Entry Technician in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Data Entry Technician in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Smartsheet (Less than a year)

Pros

Bagel Fridays and weekly catered lunches Market standard compensation

Cons

Dishonest irresponsible management Exclusive and "closed-source" company culture

Advice to Management

Being two faced in order to avoid conflict doesn't solve any issues. Try being upfront and engage them as training and mentoring opportunities.

Smartsheet Response

Jul 29, 2015 – VP Finance & HR

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. I’m sorry that your experience working at Smartsheet was not ideal. From the title you provided, it is unclear what position you held. Your reference ... More

Growing fast and good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*strong sense that team is building something together *lots of opportunities for ownership *always something new to learn *good ideas usually win over politics *access to execs *extremely transparent exec team *morale is high *adding perks (better snacks, improving office space and benefits like parental leave) *genuine interest and commitment to work/life balance *respectful work environment

Cons

*management below exec team is weak. They too focused on their own work and NOT focused on professional development, building team culture or having fun as a team *managers do not respond to emails *Inconsistent culture across teams *resistance to working remote *pay is average

Advice to Management

*develop management to actually manage *managers should publicly recognize contributions more *revisit comp structure

You will find boredom, where there is the absence of a good idea.

Former Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A) Great CEO, Always open to discussing the business with anyone. Has true passion for the product. B) Good office location, Easy to get to from all around the region.

Cons

A) Overall just a very boring work environment & culture. They have made small improvements and are aware this needs to be ramped up. But still if you are looking for the typical west coast tech company experience, this is not it. B) Way too many bad habits carried over from Microsoft. And get ready for the same old Redmond war stories being told over and over and over again. C) Meeting overload. Many people joke about having meetings about meetings, here it’s a painful reality. D) Titles matter way too much here. I've never seen leadership reference their title more than when I was at Smartsheet. Even CEO's of Billion dollar companies don't title drop this much. E) Phone system setup for sales is terrible, lacks basic features & functionality. F) Email overload. Having hundreds (sometimes thousands at an Exec level) of unread emails seems to be the norm across the organization. For a company that sells a platform to help organizations work more efficiently this seems to be counterintuitive. G) Comp plans change dramatically every quarter. H) Some in leadership have a genuine fear of change. New ideas are welcomed, then suffocated underneath multiple meetings, emails and arguments which can drag on for quarters. I) Company offers option to work from home, in place of an actual sick day… which is great! But then gets mad when someone exercises that option.

Advice to Management

Sales org could benefit from more direct involvement from the CEO. Could fix the culture and keep the sales floor more motivated. It should be a glaring concern of the co-founders that the top sales people from 2013, 2014 & 2015 are no longer around.

Smartsheet Response

Jul 26, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. We work hard to attract great folks to Smartsheet, provide a career path and invest in our work environment, product, customers, and partners. As you know, we take a ton ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed