Smashburger Reviews

Reset
3.7
Smashburger CEO Scott Crane
Scott Crane

Pros
  • Great training, good food, fun fast paced environment and customers get the best experiences from those of is who care (in 5 reviews)

• Great for high school kids as a first job but you will lose your dignity if you stay once you start college (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and usually during the peak hours like 11 am to 10 pm or close (in 3 reviews)

• No full time no benefits management lacking (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Smashburger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros about working at Smashburger, is that the company is growing so fast and rapidly, the sky is the limit. I am a extremely hard and dedicated worker, and that has been recognized and rewarded here. I have literally made my way up the ladder, starting as a cashier, then cook, shift leader, assistant manager, and now I am a general manager with this company. There are also a lot of other employees in my market that have been internally promoted with success.

Cons

One of the biggest cons, is the employee pool that this company attracts, although it is a "fast casual" concept, it is not the same as "fast food", therefore harder work is required, and a lot of employees do not grasp that. Another con is that this company is fairly new, so there are a lot of changes, and different tests for different markets, so there is always something we are trying to master, or sudden changes to previous things already learned.

General Manager

Pros

Great environment and fast paced

Cons

Not many opportunities for growth

Good Place to work

I worked at Smashburger full-time

Pros

Made good pay, got lots of hours and overtime, cool coworkers, good food, you can learn alot here if you are willing

Cons

Management outside the store does not spend enough time inside stores. Breaks did not always happen neither did promotions or raises.

Advice to Management

Hire more from within, my District manager did not know the menu himself let alone what comes on the food and would get in the way.

Aug 31, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. If you have concerns about breaks, promotions and raises please don't hesitate to call your DM or the support center. We have processes and procedures in place for all ... More

Smash it up!

I have been working at Smashburger (More than 5 years)

Pros

Greatest company I've ever worked for!

Cons

expectations are not always realistic!

Aug 31, 2015

Awesome!! Thank you for sharing. Keep up the great work and positive attitude.

6. Server

Current Employee - Server in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Smashburger part-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Cool atmosphere, and flexible hrs. Love working with the general manager/ owner Ryan Hunter

Cons

Can get pretty warm in the restaurant if your working. Need to train their managers a little better.

Advice to Management

Dont just ask your employees to do cleaning things step up and show your not afraid to relate to us and do the same things

7. Current General Manager and I love it!

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Smashburger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture of training and promotion from within is exciting. The skies the limit if you're motivated.

Cons

Run short staffed to meet labor matrix, Sudden change, but other than that, just normal industry cons. Hours, work/life ratio, etc...

Advice to Management

Don't grow too fast without strengthening the base. Recognize your leaders below the gm level. Reconfigure the labor matrix so that stores can actually give the guests the service they deserve and we're expected to provide.

8. Smashburger for ever

Current Employee - Area General Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Area General Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Smashburger full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can have a life. I came from fine dinning. Worked most weekends and Holidays. At Smashburger we can write our schedule so we can take weekends off when needed, Closed Christmas & Thanksgiving. When I started with Smashburger 8 years ago I forgot what it was like to have the major holiday off and spend quality time with my family. The growth potential is hug. I have one of my GMs how started as a GSE, moved to shift leader, then to assistant manger and is a GM for me.

Cons

I do not have any

Aug 31, 2015

This is wonderful to hear! Thank you for sharing your Bold, Remarkable and Memorable Experience.

9. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great place to work. Fun atmosphere, great food, great culture. Lots of room to move within the company.

Cons

Managers are expected to cut significant hours and maintain same level of service. Does not sit well with both employee and customer in the long-run.

Advice to Management

Properly staff your restaurants and don't punish managers who attempt to do. Highly skilled managers will know exactly how many hours they can get away with and still run a smooth shift.

10. general manager

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Smashburger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Control of P&L, Able to run business as if it was your own. Easy to obtain bonus

Cons

Pay is horrible compared to other General Manager positions. Support staff at home office does not communicate with other departments causing frustration at unit level. General Manager's hours count against hours for store but GM is asked to get outside of store to promote sales. Last time I checked I was not in marketing. Company uses 3rd party for R&M, Service Channel, and they end up overpaying and using poor quality companies.

Aug 31, 2015

Smashburger conducts market analysis to ensure competitive compensation. Since we do encourage General Managers to run the business we ask them to play a large part in local marketing. It does mean ... More

11. This is great

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Smashburger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is great upward mobility, and one of their core foci is team member development. It is a great company to get your feet wet in the restaurant business with.

Cons

There is potential to be so much more. But corporate doesn't execute on it. Like I said it is a great place to get your feet wet but we can potentially push our people harder but don't.

Advice to Management

make the expectations on the store level more realistic. Some metric need to be tweeked and the prediction matrix needs to be fixed.

RSS Feed </> Embed