Smith Freed & Eberhard

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Dennis N. Freed

Great, well-rounded employees at all levels, dedicated staff and attorneys, beautiful office, good place to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Smith Freed & Eberhard

ProsThe firm is always improving. People work hard and have fun there. The people are great! Lots of loyal employees which says a lot. If you invest in SFE they will invest in you!

ConsAll companies have struggles and changes. SFE is and will continue to be a good place to be. The firm has remained strong despite the country's economic struggles.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping everyone happy is difficult. They do a good job and are always trying to do a better job at listening to employees on all levels. You can't plesae all the people all the time but you can please most of the people most of the time.

Nevative

Portland, OR

I have been working at Smith Freed & Eberhard

ProsLocation, nice offices, trimet outside door

ConsNo support from management or opportunities for growth. All about billable hours. If employee has issue or concern, there is no one to go to. Despite now having an employment law section, they do not practice what they preach. High turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff. They have a lot of knowledge to share and many concerns. They are overworked and no recourse for improvement.

Know What You're Getting Into

Associate Attorney (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Smith Freed & Eberhard

ProsColleagues are genuine and enjoyable to work with. Your fellow associates have a collaborative spirit. The office space is comfortable and you have the tools you need to do the job well. You're often given responsibility early for case management.

ConsThis is a billable hour mill - and there's no avoiding it. Unfortunately, at times this seems to be emphasized to the exclusion of all else (i.e. community involvement, business development, life/work balance, etc.). This would be fine - if the pay were commensurate - however, while you're doing the amount of work expected at any large firm in Portland, you're being paid 35-45% less. This is, admittedly, partly due to the nature of the firm's insurance defense business model. Also, the firm's reputation as a "churn and burn" outfit seems to carry in the legal community due to the large number of former employees now working elsewhere in the marketplace. Overall, there seems to be a strong employee morale problem that has led to turnover in approximately 1/3 of the firm's attorneys during the past 18 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication - real and substantive - with associates and other employees must be improved. Concerns, both reasonable and perceived, have to be better addressed and brought to light.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive

I have been working at Smith Freed & Eberhard for more than 3 years

ProsRoom to grow, challenging work, great people, good working relationships and excellent training programs.

ConsAll companies have difficulties, especially during tough economic times.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to keep up the communication with employees. This has been an issue in the past, but there has been a lot of improvement in the recent months. Employees like to hear from management and where the company is headed.

Working at SFE went from tolerable to highly stressful to frequently nightmarish.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Smith Freed & Eberhard

ProsThere are some good people at SFE, but at this point, the only reason to work there is desperation. This wasn't always the case, however. But in recent years, the stress level has increased substantially, and the pressure to churn out perfect work at an ever faster pace has been accompanied by a major decrease in critical staff support.

ConsManagement is stubborn, rigid, and doesn't listen to the legitimate concerns of its attorneys and staff. Time after time, attempts to communicate with management in order to resolve growing problems were met with an attitude of "Shut up and just get your work done." There is no support for staff. HR sides with management at every opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe house you built has been slowly crumbling. No one seems to like working there anymore. It could have been a wonderful place, but your rigid unwillingness to address legitimate concerns has been tearing the company apart. It's hard to understand how you continue to sail on undeterred while employees leave in droves for better opportunities.

Very negative

I have been working at Smith Freed & Eberhard

ProsHas flex hours and nice offices.

ConsNo support for staff. No one to go to if you have any concerns or valid complaints..

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR STAFF! THAT IS WHY YOU HAVE HIGH TURNOVER

Worked for Smith Freed & Eberhard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Smith Freed & Eberhard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Smith Freed & Eberhard CEO Dennis N. Freed. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Smith Freed & Eberhard employees.