Smith Micro

Smith Micro Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Smith Micro Chairman, President, and CEO William W. Smith Jr.

William W. Smith Jr.

Spend no more than 2 years here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work environment. Casual and relaxing place to work. Respectful staff and smart and cooperative engineers that share knowledge. Good overall teamwork. Very flexible work hours that help with individuals who have family obligations, long commutes, etc... Younger engineers beware to not spend more than 2 years as the learning technology becomes stagnant.

ConsUpper management are not very good at making business decisions and often engage in accusations that is detrimental to the company and show no ROI. Company often engages in creating products that have never been sold or utilized in other projects. The executives are over paid and can't steer the company into a clear direction as the result the company is involved in many different technologies and not enough knowledge base to create a product market. The company appear to want to keep up with agile software development yet it retains its old habits.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter market research is essential to come up with products that give the most in your investment. Involve engineers more in product ideas.

Doesn't Have to Be This Hard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsGood Benefits, Good Values (in Theory), Better than Normal Compensation and WFH Freedom

ConsEvery Quarter is watched Over by the Grim Reaper Except He's Told to Choose the Wrong People. All But Two of the Executives Should Go. So the Office Culture is One of Fear and an Awareness that the Responsible People will Never Have to Pay the Price. No Money for Training and There Have Been NO Employee Reviews in Years. Of Course, You Have to Have an HR Department for That. So no Personal Growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou Have Absolutely NO Strategic Plan and NO Strategy. None. Zero. It Doesn't Count that You Have Someone Who Heads Up Strategy. This Position is Currently Useless and at Best Rudderless and Completely Lacking In Focus. It's Killing the Company and, at Best, is Wasting Valuable Design and Engineering Time by Coming Up with Useless, Un-actionable Mis-Direction.

Good people. Good business.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThis company is a classic player in network tech, and has a history of pursuing big enterprise deals. Some Good opportunity for having voice heard.

ConsSmith micro has been around a long time, but has been going through some changes. Hard to tell what company outlook is.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great co-workers, poor upper management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsThe people who are actually doing the work are great. They're intelligent, friendly, and have a great sense of team work. I learned a lot in my time there that has been very useful in my career.

ConsUpper management is very secretive. They do not listen to opinions of anyone who isn't in their "club." They are very slow to adapt to market changes, and as a result have gone through significant upheavals over their history, expanding rapidly in good times, and then contracting significantly when the market shifts. They struggle to find a new market niche, and don't have a good strategic vision for the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect. Listen to them. They're the ones doing the work and interacting with customers on a regular basis. They have the information you need to know.

Also, you need a strategic vision for where the company is going, rather than riding a wave until it peters out and then drowning until you find the next wave to ride.

Great people, poor vision and planning

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work hours makes for good balance of work/family life. Most employees helpful and respectful of coworkers. Good benefits. Casual workplace.

ConsBrick wall between upper management and workers. No one really knows the company's strategy or vision to succeed. Management should empower workers to help define product direction since no one at the top seems to know what that direction should be. Management expects workers to give 110% without compensation (3+ years no raises except for execs).

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your employees to be team players, make them part of the team - not outsiders.

To bad management did not listen to the worker

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsLow lever manager would try the best to get the job done with what they had

ConsUpper Managers never seem to listen to the employees on what is a good idea and what is bad

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO need to step down and let new blood in

Managing the various Smith Micro products and wireless solutions.

Product Management (Former Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsGreat place to work as an intern. Learned a lot from management regarding the various wireless solutions offered by Smith Micro. Great insights into managing the products. Nice to have a paid internships for students.

ConsSmall company, so less benefits.

Terrible place to work, left me emotionally scarred for life

Marketing Department (Former Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsSalary and benefits, full gym on site for all employees to use, a high profile international company, some interesting products

ConsPoor leadership, too many middle management roles, dreary workplace, uninspiring morale, lack of direction, remote working available only for upper management = double standard, outdated in every possible level

Advice to Senior Managementenable workforce to take ownership, happy workers are productive workers, the office should not be a drone farm, use technology to make life easier for everyone

Management team lacks direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some talented and committed staff members who work hard and believe in the products they are building.

ConsNot a product company; more like a consulting shop. Management has little trust in their direct reports, and definitely do not empower the worker bees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction/focus and stick with it. Empower your employees and appreciate their hardwork.

Great Company, good managment

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosfamily orientated place to work
    management is eager to try new things

Consbonuses would be nice to have at end of the year

Advice to Senior Managementgive bonuses

Worked for Smith Micro? Contribute to the Community!