Smith & Howard P.C.

Updated November 3, 2014
4.4

John W. Lucht
1 Rating

The best in Atlanta public accounting

Current Employee - Tax Senior in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Smith & Howard P.C. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Partners who listen and care, flexible schedule, work in industries you choose, progression is at your own pace, good pay and benefits (4 weeks vacation 1st year, plus bonus week for meeting billable goals).

Cons

Billable hours are a priority and the hours are not easy. Staff can be stuck doing work that is better suited being outsourced or done be an assistant (notices, data entry). Expectations of employees very high, but partners and managers lead by example. Not sure if that is a pro or con for staff. Might want your career to slow down at some point.

Tax Internship at Smith & Howard

Former Intern - Tax Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Tax Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Smith & Howard P.C. as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Smith & Howard has a great company culture. They are very focused on their people. During busy season they had firm outings to places like Andretti's. It is a stellar group of people who work there. Their tax intern training is thorough. They also provide interns with a buddy to whom they can ask all kinds of questions. Excellent internship program.

Cons

Busy season is in fact busy here. Go in knowing you will be working a lot of hours (not a con for S&H, just a note). They are very hesitant to discuss full time opportunities post internship. They focus more on second internships rather than full time.

A great place to work.

Current Intern - Tax Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Intern - Tax Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Smith & Howard P.C. as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience in a relaxed atmosphere. Everyone was very helpful and willing to help; even if they were busy they took the time out of their busy schedule to help interns. You are assigned a "buddy" who answers questions and helps you on a daily basis. The partners and managers are very nice and understand that you are an intern who's going to have a lot of questions. Although it was intense during busy season, the work environment was playful and I looked forward to going to work. As wanting to have a career in public accounting I would definitely recommend an internship for Smith and Howard, especially after hearing some of the horrible stories from KSU students who had internships with other firms.

Cons

NO CONS - Although I wasn't offered a full time position, as I desired, I think I can truly say that Smith and Howard was a great place to work.

Lots of hours, good pay for an Intern

I have been working at Smith & Howard P.C.

Pros

If you live and breath tax, this is a fine place to start a career

Cons

Upward progress is limited given slowing revenue

Hard work in a variety of industries

Current Employee - Tax Staff in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Tax Staff in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Smith & Howard P.C.

Pros

Variety of work, vacation time, personal relationships with clients, great atmosphere during busy season, the tax department is a lot of fun to be with.

Cons

Long hours, limited travel, only one office location, it takes a while for career progression because they want you to be past each level once you are promoted.

The younger generation can do a lot more than you believe they can. The interns are given more responsibility than an intern would at another CPA firm, but the staff and seniors can tend to be held back.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Smith & Howard P.C.

Pros

-Great partners
    -Good work environment
    -Career development

Cons

-Very long hours during busy season

N/A