Smith's Food & Drug

cashier

Cashier (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Smith's Food & Drug full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople are great! Health benefits are good. work hard at working you when you are available. Can move up in positions if you show you are a hard worker.

ConsNot enough help. to many chiefs and not enough Indians. Raises are very small after you hit journeyman. less hours more work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the hours in the stores, more hours + more product on the shelves = more profit

Nutrition Manager

Nutriton Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Smith's Food & Drug full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity for advancement and pay increases!!!

ConsScheduling is not the greatest and the ordering and receiving systems are not the most current

A job for optimists

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
West Jordan, UT

I worked at Smith's Food & Drug full-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone under the store director is typically a genuinely nice person who really cares about the customer, very decent benefits for those lucky enough to average over 30 hours per week, plenty of opportunities to move up.

ConsLackluster training (although it is to be expected in retail), several of the companies policies seem to directly inhibit getting your job done due to the overly consumer friendly atmosphere, company seems to only care about the front end whilst those in the back get the short end of the stick, there is a huge divide between departments leading to an overall lack in efficiency and quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry listening to those below you for a change, that may cause your precious numbers to increase.

Grest place to work

Inventory Control Manager (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Smith's Food & Drug full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWages, benefits, good working atmosphere once you achieve journey man wage and get benifits it is worth working for Smith's.

ConsFull time hard to achieve reaching journey wage takes almost a year or longer depending on how many hours you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementProper training is the most important for a employee to succeed.

Smith's seems like a typical grocery store.

Produce Clerk (Current Employee)
Kalispell, MT

I have been working at Smith's Food & Drug full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay is the same as every other grocery store. There are some really good people working for Smith's. If you have a positive disposition then you'll probably be able to be happy working here. I am very happy with my job. The store director does really well by those who smile and put in an honest effort. If you move with a purpose, you can do whatever you want in the store once the job is available. The department heads are all good people to work with.
If you are not just looking to do what you have to for a paycheck, the management will love you. Show up every day you commit to work, or you won't see your name on the schedule as much.

ConsThere is an established clique that is very negative, and destructive to morale in my store. The nepotism is blatant, and that is not great for morale either. I see hard working people making $10/hour being disparaged by some senior managers who spend too much time smoking and planning lunch. While my pay is decent, most of the departments pay very little.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm just some guy. What could I say to such a competent group of motivators?

The company and management don't care who you are.

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee)

I worked at Smith's Food & Drug full-time

ProsNot a difficult job for someone who has a pulse.
Easily can work around the school/work balance.
Might run into a good manager, but not the primary one

ConsThe front managers were basically there to push you around and don't care if you were working hard.
Pay was small for being pushed around by higher ranked employees

Smith's food and drug (Kroger) is an awful company to work for!

Bagger/Cashier (Current Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Smith's Food & Drug full-time for less than a year

ProsThe only pros to this job were the wonderful people that I worked with. Also, the customers were fantastic to be around.

ConsKroger company, Smith's, are the cheapest people to work for. Store "Directors" are constantly shuffled around and every time a new one comes in, hours are cut and people lose their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't under-value the little people that get the job done for you!!

Just hope you get one of the good stores

Bakery Clerk (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Smith's Food & Drug full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA few stores have it figured out, people enjoy being there and morale is fantastic, but that can unfortunately change quickly with a swapping of management.

ConsStore directors range from barely competent to absolutely outstanding. I've had a few directors that were promoted straight from the front end without any kind of experience in the back, those stores always seem to struggle.
The company always seems to have a new project that will be a "game changer", these changes usually just put a lot more work on the associates and customers either hate it or are indifferent, so why waste precious hours?
The hourly associates are expendable, management clearly knows this and takes advantage of it, it's quite a morale killer.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers aren't idiot animals to be herded around, "Satisfied customers make our paychecks possible", so let's do something for them that isn't all about getting into their wallets.

It's a great place to start off one's career.

Fuel Center Clerk (Current Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Smith's Food & Drug part-time for more than a year

ProsThe opportunity for advancement is just like any other place but if you actually talk with your supervisor and let them know you're interested in moving up with the company they will certainly help you out.

ConsI don't think anyone has a clear view of company policy and job description. Some policies go unrecognized and sometimes unfair to employees. I met a higher up in our department and he comes to the window and shows his badge like I'm supposed to know him and recognize him asks me to let him in the kiosk without being properly introduced or anything, I turned him away and asked him to bring a manager with him so that I could properly identify him as a superior.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart following procedures and laws just a little constructive criticism.

Awful communication between management and employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Smith's Food & Drug part-time

ProsFast paced
Coworkers are usually very nice/helpful

ConsNo communication between HR/management and employees
Lax management on important matters
Rude management
HR does not care at all about employees, doesn't even pretend to
Union membership means nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementTELL YOUR EMPLOYEES WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE STORE INSTEAD OF PUNISHING THEM BY TAKING AWAY HOURS HAPHAZARDLY WHENEVER A CUSTOMER RATES THE STORE AS 4 INSTEAD OF 5 STAR.

Worked for Smith's Food & Drug? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Smith's Food & Drug reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Smith's Food & Drug CEO Mark Tuffin. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Smith's Food & Drug employees.