SmithGroupJJR

www.smithgroupjjr.com

SmithGroupJJR Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014
SmithGroupJJR – US – “Workplace Studio”

SmithGroupJJR President and CEO Carl Roehling

Carl Roehling

Dedicated, talented individuals.

ProsI've never before worked with so many smart, dedicated, hard-working people. SG's talented local management attracts great architects and engineers. The projects are high-profile, challenging, and can be very satisfying. You are treated like an adult in terms of daily flexibility in the office. Computer workflow and BIM tools are enviable.

ConsProjects are consistently under-staffed, and the result is a pervasive sense of regret that - even with tons of (unpaid) OT on a project - the final product is not what it COULD have been, given the talent of the team. Benefits are on par with similar companies, but pay seems lower, at least for the majority who are not local top tier. Advancement occurs only on an annual basis, so earning intermediate credentials may take a long time to reap benefits. The review process is improving, but still not good. Open office noise and distraction takes a toll.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay close attention to the typical employee and value and support them more. Policy is designed for a good work-life balance, but dedicated employees can't help but burn themselves out trying to keep up with the workload.

Great firm

Arch (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWork life balance. New opportunities.

ConsSlow growth. Not adequate wage level.

A diverse and creative team.

ProsSmithGroupJJR has a positive community atmosphere with a lot of talented individuals. The company has excellent human resource and support staff. The Company has a strong clear mission and values that guide each employee.

ConsLike many large organizations SmithGroupJJR can feel corporate and political. For some people it seems like it is difficult to move up, however employees who are passionate will find opportunity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

kmmm

Prosbenefits, time, discuss, plan, food

Constrain, consider, poor, job, company

interiors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnationwide company with lots of resources

Consstudio leader did not know how to manager and inspire a design firm

Positive

Architect II (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWork life balance, talented staff, diverse projects,

ConsPolitical environment, large organization, glass ceiling

Interview Process at SmithGroup

ProsGreat studio culture, great benefits and people. Work is compelling and well-designed.

ConsNot as well known as other firms in the area but has great reputation nationally.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter present yourself to the outside world to attract the best talent and clients.

Good work environment. Friendly co-workers and management.

Architect I (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood work/life balance. Every other Friday off in the summer!

ConsSlow career advancement. Promotions/raises only given on annual cycle instead of at major career milestones (such as getting ones first architecture license).

Decent Pay, Friendly Working Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery friend working environment, coworker are courteous and knowledgeable. Decent pay as well

ConsTheir projects tend to be large scale commercial ones, which might not interest folks looking to work with crazy artistic architecture

The Purgatory of the Architectural Industry

Architect I (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe few pros would be the "few pros" who actually have kept on there. There are VERY few of them. The best of them are sullen, the worst? Well, let your imagination fly.

ConsWould take a website unto itself... but wait, that would be the SmithGroupJJR website. Poor pay and understaffing, excuse me, non-existent staffing and actually considering movie "coupons" as part of a benefit package... COUPONS!!!. Shady business between the partners, an associate level that either was born there or slept there, and staff that would make "Office Space" look extremely functional.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuite. Go home and turn on the oven.

Worked for SmithGroupJJR? Contribute to the Community!