Smithfield Foods

Updated January 13, 2015
2.6

Smithfield Foods President, CEO, and Director C. Larry Pope
C. Larry Pope

Pros
  • Good benefits, opportunity to grow (in 6 reviews)

• Decent compensation, good benefits, they still offer a pension for long-term employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • you can trust no one, and this place literally makes me want to kill myself (in 3 reviews)

• If you love inefficiencies, high-stress levels, inept senior management and the constant reminder that you (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Meat is a way of life

I have been working at Smithfield Foods full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay compared to everywhere else in the area. If you like the cold, then it's an amazing job.

Cons

Again, cold. If you don't like the cold, this may not be a good job for you.

Its a Job and Nothing Else.

Current Employee - Production\Mechanic in Tar Heel, NC
    Current Employee - Production\Mechanic in Tar Heel, NC

I have been working at Smithfield Foods

Pros

For the area the pay is good. Good benefits. Some advancement opportunity. Great coworkers. An experience you will never forget.

Cons

No Hiring Requirements set in place, so anyone can take your job and anyone can become management. Management has no regards for employees welfare ( Health and/or Condition ). The Onsite Heath Care facility staff send employees back into the facility to work even though they may have complications and injuries. Management does not listen to employee suggestions on how to improve performance. Working conditions are extremely hard on the body ( Repetitive Motion upto Two ~ Three thousand times a day, maybe more ). Temperatures very in every department from 100° to as low as -40°. Alot of seven day work weeks at 8 -10hrs a day. Allowance of 6 1/2 Points system before termination (for every missed day you receive 1 Point, late arrival is 1/2 point. If you dont call ahead for either you receive an extra 1 point). Management and HR department dont process paperwork as they should, which leads to payless vacations, no raises, and potential termination situations.

Everyone is not management material. If you have requirements set in place for hiring supervisors, follow those guidelines. Dont consider 10+ years working at the facility as the ideal candidate for that position.

Good

Former Employee - General Laborer in Tarheel, NC
    Former Employee - General Laborer in Tarheel, NC

I worked at Smithfield Foods

Pros

Good Pay. Decent Growth Opportunity.

Cons

Nothing really, it's a hard environment to work in.

Dependable hard worker that get job completed

Current Employee - Ware House in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Ware House in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Smithfield Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Training helping others to move forward in there duties

Cons

Preparing the products with proper spices

It was okay

Former Employee - Various Jobs Between Cut Floor and Conversion in Tarheel, NC
    Former Employee - Various Jobs Between Cut Floor and Conversion in Tarheel, NC

I worked at Smithfield Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good hourly pay and unionized

Cons

Outsourcing lots of work overseas

wonderful experience working there

I worked at Smithfield Foods

Pros

very good pay and benefits

Cons

long hours and very clod environment.

needs more improvements in promotional growth

Would be better with proper management staff.

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Kinston, NC
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Kinston, NC

I have been working at Smithfield Foods full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, convenient location for me. Diverse group of people that you work with, family feeling among my current crew/shift.

Cons

Above shift supervisors or lack there of, management is absolutely inefficient. There are currently 24 Mechanics/Technicians split to four, twelve hour shifts. Which is also a rotating shift so the days/nights off are never set days. The short weeks meant that you could volunteer for start up, now its mandatory.

Bring in new management that knows how to run a plant of this caliber. Hire more supervisors and a lot more mechanics/technicians to do their respective duties where currently mechanics are suppose to do electrical work (even if not qualified), and electronics techs do mechanical work when they could be focusing on making it better. If parts bought for the machines where the proper parts per design, product output would be a lot higher. Etc, Etc, Etc...the list goes on.

Equipment is always fixed with a bandaid. Need updated or new parts to make the production better.

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Tar Heel, NC
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Tar Heel, NC

I have been working at Smithfield Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

salary is better than where I was and bonus checks are great.

Cons

no sick time, sometimes no days off for months at a time. equipment always down an new parts never purchaced. Just put a piece of duck tape on it an keep going.

Not an Ideal place to work

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Tar Heel, NC
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Tar Heel, NC

I worked at Smithfield Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Found another job, the employees were ok

Cons

Need more training, too many Chiefs lack of leadership

Only God can help some of them

Hell

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Inspector in Middlesboro, KY
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Inspector in Middlesboro, KY

I have been working at Smithfield Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits...that's pretty much it.

Cons

The entire plant is corrupt to the core. They allow drug addicts to work on the floor while firing the good workers. I have never been rewarded or complimented sincerely on my work, and I do really good work. I have applied to several different positions in the plant I work in without any luck...I have been lied to repeatedly about raises and promotions...They will not give me any opportunity to advance. They promoted another coworker over me who did not have a degree, with very little experience over me. I absolutely hate this place, and I'm only still here because haven't been able to find anything yet...our human resources executive essentially runs the plant, and is a lying, backstabbing battle ax who deals drugs on the side. My department supervisor is a lying piece of crap...you can trust no one, and this place literally makes me want to kill myself...

Get rid of the drug addicts, and and the low down people you have running your plants and your company might improve some...you expect too much of your employees, and your goals are unrealistic...100% compliance 100% of the time is the dumbest slogan I've ever heard because for starters, it's statistically impossible to attain that! Don't say one thing and do another...stop lying to your employees...you employee people, not robots...so don't treat us like robots like we don't have lives or feelings...

Smithfield Foods Photos