Smithfield Foods

www.smithfieldfoods.com

Smithfield Foods Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014
Smithfield Foods – US – “the box room@smithfield 2009”

Smithfield Foods President, CEO, and Director C. Larry Pope

C. Larry Pope

Financially Stable Company

Management (Current Employee) Smithfield, VA

ProsGood benefits, opportunity to grow.

ConsLower than average pay for similar positions unless you're an elite top exec.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth!

Old plantation mentality

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDecent compensation, some of the most knowledgable people in pork

ConsHarsh culture, lack of progression/succession planning. Company has too many layers of management, and most have "meat packer" mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you aspire to be a CPG, you're going to need better people and flatter org structure to achieve it. You also need to get rid of the good ole boy fraternity since it keeps some of the dead bodies around.

It's a job!

Labor (Current Employee) Grayson, KY

ProsGood money and benefits for around this area.

Conspoint system!! They wont take doctor excuses and if the doctor would put you off, you still get 2 pts for the 1st day! pt out at 12 and you only get 2 pt roll back every 60 days!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible experience overall

Human Resources Clerk (Current Employee) Kinston, NC

ProsNone but I have to type five words here.

ConsOver-loaded with work. My clerical "job" was formerly done by 2 people. I was hired to do one job, but when the other clerk quit due to the way she was treated by management, I was given her duties as well, doing everything by myself. No one was willing to help, and with little to no training, I was left to drown.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't set people up to fail. Stop lying to your employees just to get them to work harder. Management was very untrustworthy. They only care about how they look to their managers. I feel as though I was stabbed in the back over and over.

Interesting Experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Smithfield, VA

Pros- Decent compensation
    - Approachable Management, especially at the IOC level

Cons- Large disconnect between Smithfield Foods and the other IOC's. Smithfield Foods appears to be the golden palace.
    - Definitely no true middle management. The company likes to give inflated titles to employees, ie - a "Manager" will be performing primarily analyst type duties.
    - You definitely work for every $$ you earn.
    - Lack of true leadership throughout the company, Smithfield Foods and IOC's

Smithfield Review

ProsThere aren't no many pros

ConsHours during certain times of the year

Advice to Senior ManagementTightn up

Amicable, friendly, not-too-demanding work environment

Refrigeration/Utilities Intern (Former Employee) Tarheel, NC

ProsVery pleasant co-workers being in the South. Managers were very understandable, great mentors, and open-minded; 9/80 work schedule. Work-life balance is fine. Training was minimal but I was only a summer intern and my supervisors were very understanding and didn't expect me to know everything off the bat.

ConsCan't say much about full pay/benefits/promotions as I was only a summer intern. Surrounding locale of Tarheel and rural NC is pretty sparse and devoid of much development. The plant is fairly old and grounded heavily in its traditions, so kind of old-fashioned/not really innovating much with the fast pace of technology. Information isn't shared well across departments with insufficient accountability/follow-up. Not the worst thing as it makes work less demanding but don't expect your work to lead to applied results.

Company management may be different after Smithfield was acquired by Shuang Hui in Oct 2013.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to "update" the management model of the plant as a whole. Company still feels like it's operating at the pace of pre-Internet days of the 80s/90s.

Good job, but must be willing to work hard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsApproachable management
    Good benefits
    Smithfield is a great location for people with families and children
    Lots of opportunity for advancement and professional growth

ConsMany of the positions are high pressure- thats fine for many people, but not my thing.
    Location- Smithfield is not a great place for young, single people

Very disappointing

ProsLarge depth of products to sell. Great name brand recognition.

ConsThe culture and climate in this company operates by fear. Most everyone is always looking over their shoulder to try and see the next knife that is coming.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe procedures and processes in place will not change.What ever advise that is given will not be heard.

Used to be a great place to work.

Director (Current Employee) Smithfield, VA

ProsNice and decent people employees who want to win. Dedicated (yet undervalued) management and staff.

ConsTough environment. Long hours. Facilities in small under served towns.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have had five years running the company now. Where are all of your cost savings and improvements? Look at Tyson's return to the owners over same period. You had to sell away the company to China as a result of your failures. You all choose to shelter yourselves away in Williamsburg from your employees and those responsible for your success. You should all be fired for destroying a once great company. Where is your accountability?

Worked for Smithfield Foods? Contribute to the Community!