Smithfield Foods
www.smithfieldfoods.com Smithfield, VA 5000+ Employees

Smithfield Foods Reviews

Updated Jun 20, 2014
Smithfield Foods – US – “the box room@smithfield 2009”

Smithfield Foods President, CEO, and Director C. Larry Pope

C. Larry Pope

Horrible experience overall

Human Resources Clerk (Current Employee)
    Kinston, NC

ProsNone but I have to type five words here.

ConsOver-loaded with work. My clerical "job" was formerly done by 2 people. I was hired to do one job, but when the other clerk quit due to the way she was treated by management, I was given her duties as well, doing everything by myself. No one was willing to help, and with little to no training, I was left to drown.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't set people up to fail. Stop lying to your employees just to get them to work harder. Management was very untrustworthy. They only care about how they look to their managers. I feel as though I was stabbed in the back over and over.

Very disappointing

ProsLarge depth of products to sell. Great name brand recognition.

ConsThe culture and climate in this company operates by fear. Most everyone is always looking over their shoulder to try and see the next knife that is coming.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe procedures and processes in place will not change.What ever advise that is given will not be heard.

Used to be a great place to work.

Director (Current Employee)
    Smithfield, VA

ProsNice and decent people employees who want to win. Dedicated (yet undervalued) management and staff.

ConsTough environment. Long hours. Facilities in small under served towns.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have had five years running the company now. Where are all of your cost savings and improvements? Look at Tyson's return to the owners over same period. You had to sell away the company to China as a result of your failures. You all choose to shelter yourselves away in Williamsburg from your employees and those responsible for your success. You should all be fired for destroying a once great company. Where is your accountability?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smithfield Foods Sucks!! BIG TIME!!

Production Worker (Former Employee)
    Tar Heel, NC

ProsNo layoffs. The pay is pretty decent but you work for every red cent you best believe that.

ConsThe employees are given no respect at all from this Company. Supervisors show favoritism especially to women who wear tight clothes. I quit after 10 years. I just could not take it anymore. You can/will be fired at the drop of a dime. The Union that is in this Company does absolutely nothing to help the members who are being threatened and harassed by management. The employees who work on the production lines are treated like slaves. I had one Supervisor who could not read or write--No kidding!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of everyone and start fresh.

Customer Service

Chicago, IL

ProsA steady paycheck. They say the right things, but don't follow through by doing the right things. There are some very nice people that work there; however, those are the ones that they will dump the majority of the work load on without the equivalent benefits.

ConsLack of opportunity and the inability to move to different positions based on key personal not allowing it because of personal differences. All the good talent leaves, and rightly so. All benefits are fairly skimpy, so don't expect a lot in a compensation program.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management. Most quality heads towards the door when they are limited on expansion opportunities or advancement opportunities.

Incredible Meat Operations Company, but a Laughable Consumer Packaged Goods Company

Corporate Office Manager (Former Employee)
    Smithfield, VA

ProsAlthough Smithfield trains “by fire” and embraces the “sink or swim” mentality, those who do stay and overcome learning curves, have opportunities to gain an up-close perspective of the company. Your smartest approach, HOWEVER, is to leverage this company to gain basic business knowledge and use that experience elsewhere for a TRUE career path.

ConsAfter some time with the company, most of the skills you acquire are not transferable to other industries. You’re at risk of being locked into the meat business, or at least perishables, because the skill sets necessary to do well are incredibly specific to the industry. If you love inefficiencies, high-stress levels, inept senior management and the constant reminder that you’re “replaceable”, this may be the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet’s be honest. You’re not on the path to becoming a true modern-day Consumer Packaged Goods company. Your concern is about making your ridiculous bonus each year, not long-term progressive growth. The people who keep the wheels turning aren’t rewarded properly; It's the "Plantation Mentality" at its best. Hiring a diverse workforce with leaders experienced in CPG business management, instead of your buddies, would serve you well.

Witnessed the most horrifying practices

Milford, UT

ProsRoom for advancement, don't need much of an education to work there.

ConsEmployees are inhumane towards the animals, the supervisors do nothing about it. Many regulations are broken. The health insurance is awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a closer eye on the lower level management (ie. Barn supervisors,etc). They show favoritism as well as allow employees to abuse the animals. Very inhumane, they know when they are going to be inspected and they "clean-up their act" at the last minute.

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOnly pro would be discounted pork products

Cons-No advancement opportunities
    -"Good Ole' Boy" atmosphere
    -Can't get promoted unless someone dies or you personally know management
    -They treat their employees like crap!
    -The company values the "sink or swim" concept.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate should stop treating their employees as if they can be replaced in a second just so they can make the most profits. If you treat employees as if they are their most valuable assets, then turnover would be low and you wouldn't have to deal with constant threats of unionization. WOULD LOVE TO SEE LARRY POPE ON UNDERCOVER BOSS......he will see the REAL company versus what is seen on the corporate financial forms.

All in a days Pay

Box Maker (Former Employee)
    Smithfield, VA

ProsThey pay every week and you do not have to have a high school diploma upon hire. Also they hire a large number of people every year at one time.

ConsToo many people who always try to be the boss. Also they do not like to give time off unless it is absolutely needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlert management in advance about the weeks that longer hours are needed in order for their employees to make better arrangements.

Old plantation mentality

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDecent compensation, some of the most knowledgable people in pork

ConsHarsh culture, lack of progression/succession planning. Company has too many layers of management, and most have "meat packer" mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you aspire to be a CPG, you're going to need better people and flatter org structure to achieve it. You also need to get rid of the good ole boy fraternity since it keeps some of the dead bodies around.

Worked for Smithfield Foods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Smithfield Foods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Smithfield Foods CEO C. Larry Pope. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Smithfield Foods employees.