Smiths Detection

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mal Maginnis

Focus is not consistent

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsSome very good people to work with and some really interesting projects before the restructuring.

ConsDuring corporate restructuring during the 2010-2011 timeframe, the focus of the company changed. They are focused on "box" solutions and military contracts primarily. Bonuses and raises were never met. Lots of layoffs and uncertainty. Became a toxic environment very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the old guard. Get some fresh blood. Smiths is stale and it's showing.

Imploding around poor management and US moral at all time low

ProsVery good products and a great engineering staff

ConsUpper management has no idea how bad things really are. New America's CEO needs to dig into the poor morale and jettison poor angry management that rules with a lack of people skills. No one can go to HR since they go right to the managers. They have no idea that many employees that are there are looking hard for other jobs as the company implodes. Another reorg in the works and the same clowns are moving around.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart doing skip reviews - skip the middle managers. The new guy Richard Ingram seems to care, but he is getting his info from scared employees that are threatened with "you should be happy you have a job"

Big bureaucracy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with many smart and talented people on some interesting projects.

ConsNot rewarded well for hard work. Issues with management defining goals and schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want good products, properly reward your employees for due diligence and provide motivation for continued success with clear goals to achieve.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smiths Detection

ProsJust enough structure to not be a sweat shop, good opportunity to learn, pay is ok

ConsQuite a bit of work put on one person. Many people that are new to decision making positions dont really know what they are doing and are not technical, but need to be. Poor data collection and use of SAP inappropriately for some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe guys under you matter the most, the are your largest asset. Take care of 'em

Job that uses a lot of skills

ProsGet a lot of different tasks- some outside your area

ConsThe morale is low - but there is a reorganization going on

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what employees need

Severely underpaid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFeeling of accomplishment working for this type of business

ConsEnormous responsibility however not paid in the range for the title which I had

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your salary structure

A Very Disappointing Company

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsLike to idea of safety

ConsToo heavy with Sr Management Lots of politics

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about your staff

Watching a company implode is sad

Senior Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsInteresting working with a product that protects people from terror and danger

ConsMost of management was unable to manage. There were people promoted because they were friends. HR was not staffed with capable people. Because of mismanagement the company was not kept current in the market place and is now fighting hard to get back in

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at what is going on in the market place. Dont change the quality of the product but think about where and how the manufacturing is done

Glad I left

Manager (Former Employee) Edgewood, MD

ProsWorked with some great people and I gained a lot of experience, I took that experience and make a lot more money working for other companies in the industry.

ConsLack of raises, salaries where mid range at best, bonus' were never full amount because Smiths never hit their target. Senior management is playing a shell game.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy give advice to management? They do not listen anyway.

Wild Wild West

ProsGlobal company with opportunities to collaborate with coworkers from all over the world - Singapore, Australia, France, Germany, England, Canada, Brazil, the US, Ireland, and more. (Note: HQ is not in Wiesbaden, Germany, though the joke is that the Germans think it is ... HQ is actually in the UK.)

For Program Managers, determining one's responsibilities is done through a very informal process of politics and negotiating and creating opportunities for oneself. This is fun and rewarding for some people, and extremely frustrating for others. I'm listing it as a 'pro' because I'm more of the former, but as others have noted, the best assignments and recognition do not necessarily go to the hardest working or capable employees, nor to those with the best track records. Adventurous networking pays off here. I find this informal culture vastly preferable to the bureaucratic red tape that functions to trap high achievers on inflexible career paths at other major companies.

ConsInternational travel is actively discouraged for lower level employees and greatly overdone by upper management. It's like the senior executives never heard of a phone; they fly all over the world constantly, because it's easier for them to get stuff done in person. Guess what? This is true for the people who actually execute the work of this company, as well!

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of flying a President or VP in at the last minute to emphasize the importance of a deadline, you should fly the people who design our technologies over to those who build our products, and those who manage our programs over to those who are responsible for critical activities, right from the beginning. An enhanced 'team' feel would boost productivity and efficiency on all programs.

Also, give the low and mid-level employees who do the actual work acceptable salaries, and quit agonizing over why we don't like you. It's actually irritating to see that the goal is apparently "improving employee opinions regarding senior leadership" as opposed to, say, "improving employee salary, bonuses, work and growth opportunities, recognition, capabilities, resources, etc.".

Finally, focus on more than just the short term revenue goals. The hysteria over 'dragging revenue forward' at the end of every quarter, half, and fiscal year is quite damaging to employee consistency, confidence, and morale.

Worked for Smiths Detection? Contribute to the Community!