Smithsonian

Smithsonian Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Smithsonian Secretary Wayne Clough

Wayne Clough

Pros:
  • "Great benefits after two years of employment and committed people"
    in 4 reviews
  • "great setting, academic environment, good benefits"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Part-Time,No Full Time status,No benefits,Not always up to technical industry standards,"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Unpaid position- no benefits other than the experience itself"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The best place to work

Research Analyst (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat coworkers, understanding bosses, constant training opportunities. I absolutely love working here. As a contractor, I have the ability to have a flexible schedule. I have a great work environment that allows for collaboration and support without the competitiveness.

ConsAs a contractor, I am definitely taking a pay cut to work here. However I feel that the great work environment and exciting projects make it worth it. Also as a contractor you do not receive benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management is doing a great job. I have never worked in a better place.

A Wonderful Experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe employees were all gracious, humble, and willing to help.

ConsLarge institution. Sometimes difficult to meet people outside of your department/circle.

A job that need more growth potential.

Museum Police Officer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat, for people who don't want to advance.

ConsThey don't promote according to qualification.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time dealing with subordinates to improve the working environment.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat locations, good facilities, great network of professional support, great professional development opportunities, great benefits, fun place to work, you will work with a variety of experts as your co-workers, and there is pretty good job stability.

ConsThere are highly paid federal employees sitting in their jobs and performing the bare minimum. However, no one will ever do anything about it or fire them because that is nearly impossible to do. Budgets are tight so offices are often understaffed.

Interesting job-tricky politics

Staff Scientist (Current Employee)

ProsYou get to study the most interesting things, and every day can potentially be different. Very free to set your own priorities, within reason. Although I'm sure that's different in the different units.

ConsOnce someone gets past their 1yr probation period it is very difficult to get fired. Which can be great! But it also means that incompetent people never leave, and their tasks just get loaded onto those that will do the work. Retired/resigned positions are not replaced, and every unit I know of is understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't overload your staff just because you can. Hire enough people to do the work.

Nice

ProsThe events and seeing celebrities

ConsNo possible full time for my position

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Amazing work environment and job that I am lucky to have!

Presenter (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsCo-workers, boss, staff and visitors are all amazing.

ConsIt can sometimes be very busy which makes it hard to do my job to the best of my ability.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Model makers Dream job.

Model Maker (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe best thing about this job is the ability to work in a clean and safe environment. Concern for OSHA regulations was very high on the list of priorities. As an artist this was very important to me. The work was challenging and creative. I went home with a feeling of accomplishment every day.

ConsIt is a huge organization and things don't happen quickly. It can really try your patience to wait for things to happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeed up requests for work and allow overtime.

banks

CNC Operator (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsTo become a specialist in a faster paced environment with a reputation institution demanding strong analytical, interpersonal and management skills in the area given. This will enable me to acquire a position in an organization and an advanced opportunity to utilize the knowledge I have acquired so as to enable the development of the organization.

Consi don't see any see any challenge cos i havent yet been employed thanks

Advice to Senior Managementto always respect their workers and to always believe that they can also bring a change of idea.

Satisfying but not long-term

Image Technician (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat work environment, very laid back and everyone loved to share. As an intern I was encouraged to learn and branch out upon my field of study. Everyone loved sharing their experiences and knowledge.

ConsAs a contractor, I got paid whenever the Government seemed to have some money laying around (almost never). Even tied to my SSN# they frequently lost my contract money. I didn't see my boss for months at a time since he was always traveling. I was always encouraged to slow down because government workers "would run out of work if everyone had my work ethic."

Worked for Smithsonian? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Smithsonian reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Smithsonian CEO Wayne Clough. All 74 reviews posted anonymously by Smithsonian employees.