Smithsonian Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
4.0

Smithsonian Secretary Wayne Clough
Wayne Clough

Pros
  • It is quite an interesting place to work with behind the scenes understanding of what happens in the largest museum complex in the world (in 3 reviews)

• Great benefits after two years of employment and committed people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No possible full time for my position (in 4 reviews)

• Unpaid position- no benefits other than the experience itself (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Editorial Intern Smithsonian Magazine

I worked at Smithsonian as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Caring staff, supervisors not overly hands on, easy commute, great work atmosphere, great work life balance. Smithsonian Mag fostered great creativity with people who respected and appreciated any work you produced as an intern. You had to work hard, but everything was mentally stimulating and any feedback was constructive as opposed to criticism. Really couldn't have asked for nicer, more caring people.

Cons

I'm just kind of bummed that it wasn't paid, honestly. Other than that, it was the best internship I've ever had.

Keep on keepin on.

Intern

I worked at Smithsonian as an intern

Pros

Great place, not too much work there

Cons

Government organization benefits, would hold different events now and then, but you always have to pay by yourself.

A little boring and a lot of old male academics...

Current Employee - Anthropology Department  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anthropology Department in Washington, DC

I have been working at Smithsonian as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was great to be able to go on tours of the collections and be around tons of intellectual powerhouses. Some of these people literally wrote the book on the discipline.

Cons

Being cooped up in an office on the top floors of the Natural History museum could get very isolating. It was also difficult to be around so many tenured members that were very much stuck in their ways of doing things. The average age of the department was over 60 and male which made it a very masculine, conservative environment to work in. Also, all the internships are unpaid.

It might have been nice for the interns to have more abilities to connect with other departments (or really for all the departments to work together more).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience interning at the natural history museum was good, extremely relaxed, and I had a lot of independence

Former Employee - Smithsonian  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Smithsonian in Washington, DC

I worked at Smithsonian as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent managers, cutting-edge research, very relaxed workplace, people who tend to be good at what they do (at least in the research department) with a lot of creative staff. A lot of museum perks - roaming around, free imax tickets.

Cons

Pay is pretty low, there isn't much guidance - at least where I was working, but that can be good too. The office we were in was pretty terrible, and the internal network (in terms of data storage and access) is pretty difficult to deal with and very disorganized.

Air Space Museum in Smithsonian

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Smithsonian part-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't imagine why anyone would dislike this place. This was a great place to work- nice environment. There are some good people working at the museum, but these are the down-to-earth hourly oompa loompas that are trying to make a living at a minimum wage.

Cons

Favored employees get the benefit to continue to work there. Very slow raising the hourly rate.

Contracting

Former Employee - Contractor  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC

I worked at Smithsonian as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The Smithsonian offered many opportunities for individuals to expand their horizons. Great program for interns, wonderful to be surrounded by such great minds.

Cons

Difficult to commute to the Mall during the summer, low pay, no oversight, must sign up as a business if you do any contract work for them.

Sounds fascinating, but ultimately, it's the government.

Former Employee - Secretary  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Secretary in Washington, DC

I worked at Smithsonian full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can wander around the museum on your lunch break.

Cons

You're working for the government, in all its Kafka-esque, everything-in-triplicate craziness.

Oh well, better here than Asia.

Government Red Tape

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Smithsonian full-time

Pros

Incredible opportunities and resources, government benefits, and talented colleagues make the Smithsonian an appealing workplace. Plus you can't beat the name recognition on a resume.

Cons

There are forms upon forms to fill out, everything is heavy in procedure and red tape, and the institution moves slowly. Once someone is employed there it is impossible to get rid of them regardless of their competency.

Positive but monotonous

Former Employee - Prospect Development  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Prospect Development in Washington, DC

I worked at Smithsonian as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I worked there as a summer intern at the Office of Advancement. Great perks (free webinars, conferences, talks, networking event, unlimited access to Smithsonian museums (including rides, movies, butterfly walk-throughs that you normally must pay for)), great colleagues and a sense of unity within each office

Cons

Because it is such a large institution, the sense of unity isn't spread throughout. Each office is separate and most hire internally. Many internships lack any financial support.

Summer Intern

I worked at Smithsonian as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place with great people.

Cons

Not much of a chance for full time position

Worked for Smithsonian? Contribute to the Community!