Smithsonian Reviews

113 reviews filtered by
4.0
Smithsonian Secretary Dr. David J. Skorton
Dr. David J. Skorton

Pros
  • It is quite an interesting place to work with behind the scenes understanding of what happens in the largest museum complex in the world (in 3 reviews)

• Great benefits after two years of employment and committed people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a chance for full time position (in 5 reviews)

• Huge bureaucracy, it takes a long time to process any new plan (in 3 reviews)

1. Great benefits, great coworkers... little promotion potential.

I worked at Smithsonian

Pros

Great benefits, great coworkers, exciting work, great location, job stability, training opportunities.

Cons

Slow hiring process. Little promotion potential and low-graded positions at particular museums mean lower salaries.

2. Summer Program Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Smithsonian as an intern

Pros

Really interesting place to work for summer break. People there are really friendly and smart. I learned lots of new things within 6 weeks of internship. Great little benefit for interns including free tickets to all the IMAX shows.

Cons

The summer program is unpaid.
    The whole process of getting into the program is somehow takes a while.

Advice to Management

Better communication and cooperation between each department

3. Mostly positive!

Current Employee - Curator
    Current Employee - Curator

I have been working at Smithsonian full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful to be part of a institution dedicated to increasing and sharing knowledge via museums exhibitions, research, publication programs and other educational offerings. Amazing benefits, including learning opportunities, good health, vision and dental insurance, retirement contributions and transportation benefits.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, some difficult/territorial personalities, not much room for career advancement or salary increases in many of the positions.

Advice to Management

The institution doesn't seem to do much to retain and promote its most valuable, hard-working employees.

5. Amazing place to work.

I have been working at Smithsonian

Pros

Amazing opportunity to work closely with artifacts of the museum, really friendly coworkers, great office

Cons

Not many full time positions available. Besides this I can not think of any other cons.

6. Great organization, well structured

Former Employee - Facilities Management and Reliability in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Facilities Management and Reliability in Washington, DC

I worked at Smithsonian

Pros

Things are well organized, you are not left figuring things out for yourself. People are very friendly and always there to help.

Cons

Very silo-d work environment. The different departments are very isolated from each other, and do not communicate other than officially.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for individuals from the whole institution to gather and share experiences and become acquainted with each other

7. Creative work in a bureaucratic setting

Former Employee - Curator
    Former Employee - Curator

I worked at Smithsonian full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

compensation is excellent, benefits excellent, access to materials and collections cannot be matched, national prestige is great,

Cons

but another system of rewards operates inside the institution, which can make it hard to remember all the excellent opportunities: time off policies depend heavily on your supervisor's interpretation of your responsibilities; large gap between job descriptions at "humanities" agencies vs "science" agencies, even if titles (aka "Curator") are the same. Some Curators are responsible for exhibits, some are not, some write exhibition texts, some do not, some are subject to evaluation from outside committees of their peers, some are reviewed only by those inside the institutions, and recognition from the institution is rarely more than lukewarm. Advice: make sure to travel, and get feedback from your professional peers, do not rely on supervisors (who have little incentive to be supportive) or institutional colleagues (whose standards can be too low because limited to what goes on "at home"). It will be as good as you make it.

8. Challenging and Exciting Place to Work

I have been working at Smithsonian

Pros

Huge network of other professionals to learn from, great opportunities for professional advancement training, come with excellent credibility

Cons

Large bureaucracy makes it difficult to accomplish tasks, things move slowly

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Biological Research Laboratory Technician in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Biological Research Laboratory Technician in Suitland, MD

I have been working at Smithsonian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well funded lab and programs. Meet many new people all over the word and work with great researchers.

Cons

Not many opportunities to advance in carrier.

Advice to Management

Continuing education should be more of a priority.

10. Electronic Technician

Current Employee - Electronic Technician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Electronic Technician in Washington, DC

I have been working at Smithsonian part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice place and it's popular.

Cons

I used to work in DC area. So this is the best place to work.

Advice to Management

Great place o work with.

11. Awesome Summer Internship

I worked at Smithsonian

Pros

I learned a lot about marketing, had a fantastic mentor, and was able to have an impact on sales revenue! Everyone was friendly and my supervisor was enthusiastic about bringing out my individual skills in addition to what was listed in the job description.

Cons

The office was four stories down into a basement and very cold! Also was more time in front of a computer screen than I would want in a future job - but that's just the nature of the work.