Smucker

Richard K. Smucker

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Positive

Logistics Temp (Current Employee) Orrville, OH

ProsGood People. Good Products. Growing Company. Good Location.

ConsI would not consider current pay to be competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider higher pay for quality employees. Too many moving parts to complete simple tasks.

Be prepared to keep your expectations low

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orrville, OH

ProsThe benefits at this company are what separates it from others. The starting salary is nothing to write home about, but the health and dental benefits are very good. Everyone receives a holiday bonus at the end of the year. The company encourages people to use their vacation time plus the 11 company paid holidays. The company has a great culture and works hard to preserve it.

ConsBecause many people do not want to be held accountable, it takes too long for a decision to be made regarding a project. This is a marketing-driven company that focuses too much on "me-too" products and product extensions (e.g. new flavors for coffee, baking mixes, and frostings).

Advice to Senior ManagementFor future company growth, look for opportunities besides those in the "center of the aisle".

Once was a great company. Lost its core values when it got to big

Marketing (Former Employee) Orrville, OH

ProsCampus
    Hire from within
    Benefits

ConsPoor management
    Grew to big to quick
    Lost focus on employees

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember where you came from and quit preaching fake nonsense

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful start to a career.

Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) Orrville, OH

ProsWonderful culture, very engaging environment.

ConsNot the most competitive salary wise.

Second to none internship experience

Intern (Former Employee) Orrville, OH

ProsCulture, people, relationship, family values

ConsCompetitive environment with limited opportunities for furthering career

Family Friendly, Good work life balance depending on the job

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Orrville, OH

ProsWill advance if your an engineer

ConsHalf the company is Proctor and Gamble, unless your an engineer don't hire onto the Smuckers side of the business

Great People, Great Products, and Stable Future

Plant Finance Manager (Current Employee) Orrville, OH

ProsFlexibility, Great People, Fun Atmosphere, Great Brands, Growing Company, Many professional opportunities, good ethical belief system, many team building events

ConsThe healthcare insurance and salaries could be more competitive. Pay scale is uneven among positions due to acquisitions. Some departments and locations are understaffed while other departments and locations are overstaffed making work loads uneven. Sometimes the focus of leadership revolves around the positive things while negatives are just ignored and hope to get resolved on their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a good communication channel for lower level employees to report bad managers. Need better compensation packages to keep talent within the company. Give promotions based on abilities and create measurable objectives in order to receive those promotions.

Great learning experience

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Orrville, OH

ProsThe intern program is fantastic. They really invest a lot in their interns and make sure that they are an integral part of the workplace with real responsibilities. There are a lot of other interns so it is a great cohort and all of the full-time employees truly care about the development of the interns and the internship program overall.

ConsThe location is probably the biggest downside. Orrville is a cute little town, but it is in the middle of nowhere and there is not a lot around unless you live in Cleveland which is about an hour away. It is also hard to be a young person there as the company culture is very family-oriented and it seems as if everyone is married or engaged and having children, so if you're a young 20-something, it might not be the best fit.

Top notch internship program

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orrville, OH

ProsSmuckers is a great place to work. It has a very people oriented company culture and that makes you feel at home from day one. I also dont know of many major companies in the industry where you can go and sit down at lunch with the CEO as an intern!

ConsIt can be a little to conservative at times, they are not willing to make any agressive moves.

Security department, great benefits and pay but not much more

Security Officer (Current Employee) Orrville, OH

ProsGreat benefits, great pay for Security officer position.

ConsThis department is not give the same opportunity to join in the Smuckers company culture, lack of respect given by management towards employees. Lack of trust amongst employees and management. Flexible schedule given to other departments, not to this department so employees can go to school and advance careers within company. Management has their favorites

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair with everybody and show employees respect. There is a reason turnover in department is around 50%

Worked for Smucker? Contribute to the Community!