Smucker

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
3.8

Richard K. Smucker

Pros
  • Smucker offers a nice work/life balance and good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits and perks for employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Orrville is in the middle of no where (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Smucker's

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Orrville, OH

I have been working at Smucker

Pros

Great place to work, friendly coworkers

Cons

Management can be hard to work with, located in the middle of nowhere

Open communication with employees would be appreciated

Traditional Corporate Experience

I have been working at Smucker

Pros

The employees at Smucker are very friendly and helpful. They welcome new employees and do their best to integrate you. The company is extremely family friendly and has multiple family friendly company outings and events. The starting pay is very competitive. There are many perks of the job in terms of free product for the brand you work with and free coffee and food for all employees. The facilities are gorgeous.

Cons

The company is very traditional in dress, policies and way of doing business (this could be a pro or a con, but for me it was a con). The company is slow to adopt new policies and technologies and innovation is not groundbreaking. The company is also often silo'ed where each business function does not communicate and work well with other divisions. And, the amount of work in certain disciplines delegated to each employee is a lot.

Horrific management

Former Employee - Beverage Technician
    Former Employee - Beverage Technician

I worked at Smucker full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smucker's truly seems to have a wonderful mission statement and core values. The wages and benefits where great for the amount of work expected of there employees.

Cons

I personally only worked in the service side for a little over a year before finding employement elsewhere. In the time I was there I had several problems with managers and team leads micro managing, demoralizing technicians, situations where certain managers screamed I'm the boss I'm the boss do what I say, I was even told by this particular manager that if i had a problem with him that he didn't care if I went straight to Richard Smucker himself. Looking back it was an unhealthy work environment which is unfortunate because Smucker's seems like a wonderful company. Unfortunately going to upper management did not resolve the problems, and going to Smucker's HR did not resolve the problem, so in the end it was healthier to leave.

The best advice I can give to a company like Smucker's is investigate the management in the company's you purchase instead of allowing old management that do not share your core beliefs to stay in power. It is hard to work for a company when you do not feel like you are actually a part of the organization but just apart of the previous company.

Very Good Company!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Smucker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work at a ex P&G facility purchased by Smucker's in 2008 and Smucker's has been great!! Pay, benefits, work life balance, environment, management, are all very good! There are very few jobs where you can enjoy work, laugh, and make the type of wage available here employees are very fortunate.

As someone who has been in multiple plants this site truly is a great place to be!!

Cons

Pay structure is very good, but some of the truly exceptional are under compensated and over utilized while many others are over compensated and have little in the way of skills to utilize!! Which means the ones who "Do" well they do more and the ones who "Don't" just keep relying on the ones that do. The pay system doesn't differentiate this very well at all, unfortunately.

The few who are under compensated need to have a path to get paid what they deserve over and above the current 5 tier system. Anyone who works at the NOLA campuses knows exactly who this person is! Why pay contract engineers over $105/hr when you can get a technician to do the work for 25% of that?

Highly Recommend Smucker as an Employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH

I have been working at Smucker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance including 1/2 day Fridays in the Summer, Office Culture, Employment/Growth Opportunities, Total Compensation package including an on-site Wellness Center that has a fully staffed medical team, and the excitement of what is yet to come with the completion near on a brand new Child Care Center and Gym.

Cons

Some inconsistencies in Work/Life Balance and Office Culture across all the different departments, which is expected with different management for each. However, it is an improvement opportunity.

I would recommend more 360° feedback for people managers from direct reports in an anonymous manner if possible and a better process for employee-submitted ideas for improvement on people, products, and processes.

Bigger is not always better

I have been working at Smucker

Pros

The Company has genuine core values that have guided the direction for the last 100+ years. I think Smucker has a great strategy and hasn't deviated much from it, even in challenging times. The Company is also making significant investments in leadership development which is heavily focused on emotional intelligence, which is great.

Cons

I recently came across a great quote: "When the incentives offered prioritize growth over stability, we successfully build large, unstable organizations." Growth is a huge focus for Smucker, unfortunately making the right investments to support that growth is not as much of a focus.

Great People, Great Company

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Orrville, OH
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Orrville, OH

I worked at Smucker as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company overall is an amazing place to work. I worked with some of the most fun and inspiring individuals who helped me really grow into my position. I was really interested in many different areas and management allowed me to really test the waters to see what I wanted to do. Also the company has such a growth potential that they are ready to go through the roof.

Cons

The company doesn't necessarily have their priorities straight in every movement and their attraction to young professionals is declining with their salary range.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - Intern in Orrville, OH

I have been working at Smucker as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great Pay, Flexible Schedule, tons of free meals

Cons

Need to trust interns with more important tasks and not just give busy work

Sometimes too nice. Would rather be up front and truthful if I'm doing something wrong then hear about it from someone else weeks after the damage is done

The company that respects hard work.

Former Employee - Lead Production Supervisor in Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Production Supervisor in Oxnard, CA

I worked at Smucker full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you work hard, and believe me you will, Smucker's will 100% acknowledge your dedication and treat you as a highly valuable employee and contributor to their success. Whether it is providing housing, lunches, dinners, or taking you for a round of golf, the J. M. Smucker company will make you feel like part of the family no matter how long you stay.

Cons

Sitting at my computer for five minutes trying to think of a con can give you an idea of my experience here... If I had to say a con, I would say that it is having to lay off someone you really enjoyed working with, because of seniority issues.

Keep giving and your employers will keep working. When I think about my time at Smucker's, I think about the connections I made and the fun times I had. That is what really stands out to me.

Good Company / People Work / Life Balance

I have been working at Smucker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family run company - CEO Great person

Cons

need to energize the old brands to keep number 1 positions

Smucker Photos

Smucker Company Store
Peanut, Peanut Butter and Jelly!

+ Add Photo