Smucker Reviews

Updated September 6, 2014
Updated September 6, 2014
3.9

Richard K. Smucker

Great company, great people!

Current Employee - Lab Technician  in  Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Orrville, OH

I have been working at Smucker as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The company is absolutely phenomenal to their employees. The company spends significant efforts to ensure great quality products hit the shelves of America and countries abroad. Additionally, I work with some great and talented individuals, that look after the company's products and other employees.

Cons

I have only just started working here and have not yet some across any strongly negative qualities or situations. The company is perhaps a little conservative but I believe this is to keep a professional and respectful environment in the workplace.

I definitely think management is doing well, in terms of allowing employees an adequate work-like balance and allowing perks and incentives to different departments.

Disappointing but not terrible.

Former Employee - E/I Technician  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - E/I Technician in Memphis, TN

I worked at Smucker full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smuckers has been around for a long time and through acquisitions and expansion, it is continuing to grow. If you are not ambitious, you should have no complaints.

Cons

Staff selections are questionable. There is a real sense of entitlement for employees who have worked at the company for a long period of time. If they promoted based on merit more than seniority, they would have a much happier and more effective team. Training is under-valued and process improvement is not well managed.

The leadership team overlaps into multiple areas that can be confusing for employees and troublesome for decision making. An operations manager making Human Resource decisions is a mistake. Hire people who understand important functions, a CPLP to run training or someone formally trained (lean, six sigma) for process improvement. Rotating equipment operators to these crucial roles leaves little room for real long-term improvement.

Good culture, but doesn't always apply throughout

Current Employee - Sales Analyst
    Current Employee - Sales Analyst

I have been working at Smucker full-time

Pros

Great overarching culture...good benefits, insurance, and 401K match. Gives opportunities to work compressed work weeks in the summer to take 1/2 days on Friday.

Cons

Culture differs by department- not always so family oriented. Difficult to find a balance with home life. Coworkers can be judgemental depending on team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Love the company, but not a good work environment"

I have been working at Smucker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training opportunities, very well diversified, great benefits, and promotional opportunities.

Cons

New managers micromanage to death the employees, moral is at an all time low. Management kept away from employees and there is no longer a sense of family in the work place. turn over is at an all time high- lots of political games and backstabbing

If you continue down the road of black and white by the book termination of employees, well then you will continue to lose out on the organic and sustainability sector of America. When Richard Smucker told a group of Employees how the company "WOULD like them to vote against NON- GMO labeling in Cailfornia" I lost all respect for him and the local management.

Open door policy did not exist.

I worked at Smucker full-time

Pros

Great benefits and perks for employees.

Cons

Long term employees lacked skills to lead new employees from acquired organizations.

Wonderful company surrounded with truly caring and honest coworkers.

Current Employee - Category Analyst
    Current Employee - Category Analyst

I have been working at Smucker for more than a year

Pros

The culture is incredible - never worked in an environment with such hard working, yet friendly and helpful coworkers. Summer hours, 401K plan, opportunities for growth or lateral moves...

Cons

Salaries are not competitive with market. Orrville, OH.

Great place to work, values their employees

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Smucker full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Their benefits are very good. They are flexible. Their values align with my own. Everyone is very nice. Their corporate offices are state of the art and very nice. They give you a xmas bonus. Their technical equipment is up to date. They offer free technical training so if you want to improve you can at any time.

Cons

Compensation could be better, they should do more research into each job to determine compensation. Their employee benefit for education should be re-evaluated. They do not cover the full cost of tuition for online education stating it is inferior to standard classes because of lack of teamwork which is not correct. The online classes have much more team evolvement than traditional classes do.

Get to know each business segment more before making decisions that will affect many employees.

I learned a lot about modern cannery processing of fresh fruits.

Former Employee - Field Representative ( Seasonal)  in  Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Field Representative ( Seasonal) in Oxnard, CA

I worked at Smucker full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management was great, A lot of Independence. If you are hard working you will go far in the company. You are very well compensated for your work

Cons

Confusion and a little disorder when I began but It is a great company! Overall this is a great company.

I liked how you look for solutions from the group. Keep up the good work!

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Smucker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Integrated training. No high pressure or manager constantly looking over shoulder.

Cons

I cant say anything negative about this company.

none.

Be prepared to keep your expectations low

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH

I have been working at Smucker full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits at this company are what separates it from others. The starting salary is nothing to write home about, but the health and dental benefits are very good. Everyone receives a holiday bonus at the end of the year. The company encourages people to use their vacation time plus the 11 company paid holidays. The company has a great culture and works hard to preserve it.

Cons

Because many people do not want to be held accountable, it takes too long for a decision to be made regarding a project. This is a marketing-driven company that focuses too much on "me-too" products and product extensions (e.g. new flavors for coffee, baking mixes, and frostings).

For future company growth, look for opportunities besides those in the "center of the aisle".

Worked for Smucker? Contribute to the Community!