Smule

www.smule.com

Smule Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014
Smule – Palo Alto – “just another day at Smule HQ”

Jeff Smith

Small, fun startup where everyone is passionate about what they do

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexible "work from home" days
    Smart, passionate people who aren't trying to make a quick buck
    Good leadership that's "in it for the long haul"
    Transparency and good communication

ConsOffice is small; they need to expand.
    Fast pace means it's hard to take vacation days (even though they are unlimited)
    No 401K matching :(

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more risks, but don't lose fun culture as company scales up.

A fun place to work

Designer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsClear vision about the future, cool, team and benefits, flexibility, catered meals

ConsNot a lot of growing opportunities within the company, low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with your employees.

Great place to be heard

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsEvery employee's ideas affect Smule's direction. Smule's products, in particular, are the result of input from everyone on the team. Everyone assumes ownership of what ships.

There's hierarchy, but in general the teams (engineering, marketing, management, product) collaborate to get things done.

ConsDevelopment practices are constantly under development. It's flexible, but sometimes disorienting.

At times, long hours are necessary, though you'll be well taken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Smule has great people and a great vibe. Everyone's bought in and works together to make awesome stuff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intense, fun, off the charts creative place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsI love what we are trying to do: get as many people as possible to create music and discover how much fun that is. And its fun to imagine how it will f-up the music industry when 100M people are spending an hour a week creating music. One of the most dedicated, smart, passionate teams I've worked with--we've got Ph.D's in music, game industry vets, Apple UI gurus, and a professor on staff just to name a few. Pay is better than other startups at this stage that I've seen and risk is lower than I expected before I was considering working here--revenues are solid, opportunity is much bigger than 'just' mobile.

ConsWorking with passionate, smart people can be a double edged sword--discussions are more heated, expectations are higher. Not a great place for 9-5ers and folks that are looking to spend less time working but the WFH policy is good so that helps. Office is in Palo Alto which is fine if you're near there, but not if you live in SF. Not a lot of process so things can feel chaotic and fast if like me you're coming from a bigger company with more bureaucracy.

Fun! Exciting! Great people, we make cool products and I get to work with fun people and get paid too!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsFun people, I get to work with interesting technology on cool platforms. The upper level management has an open door policy and does listen to what engineers say. There is a flexible work schedule and no one punches a clock around here. There are also great benefits and lots of flex time. Food is good and there are lots of snacks.

ConsNone that I can think of, of course working in a startup its not a 9-5 gig so you do have to sometimes work after hours. But the work is interesting and you have the ability to come in later and come and go as you please.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, its fun to work here and you listen to what we have to say.

Worked for Smule? Contribute to the Community!