Smule Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
4.0

Jeff Smith

Small, fun startup where everyone is passionate about what they do

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smule full-time

Pros

Flexible "work from home" days
    Smart, passionate people who aren't trying to make a quick buck
    Good leadership that's "in it for the long haul"
    Transparency and good communication

Cons

Office is small; they need to expand.
    Fast pace means it's hard to take vacation days (even though they are unlimited)
    No 401K matching :(

Take more risks, but don't lose fun culture as company scales up.

Not a good place to work.

I have been working at Smule full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really fun coworkers, flexible work schedule, great equipment, nice office location, lots of free food provided. The office is very nice and the people are really great and very passionate.

Cons

Management. It's terrible. Their vision is off, they are childish, and they will destroy the company. The health plan is also lacking but if you were to compare the two problems I would definitely run away screaming because of leadership.

Leave. You are killing the company.

A fun place to work

Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Smule full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clear vision about the future, cool, team and benefits, flexibility, catered meals

Cons

Not a lot of growing opportunities within the company, low pay

Be more transparent with your employees.

Great place to be heard

I have been working at Smule

Pros

Every employee's ideas affect Smule's direction. Smule's products, in particular, are the result of input from everyone on the team. Everyone assumes ownership of what ships.

There's hierarchy, but in general the teams (engineering, marketing, management, product) collaborate to get things done.

Cons

Development practices are constantly under development. It's flexible, but sometimes disorienting.

At times, long hours are necessary, though you'll be well taken care of.

Keep it up. Smule has great people and a great vibe. Everyone's bought in and works together to make awesome stuff.

Intense, fun, off the charts creative place to work.

I have been working at Smule

Pros

I love what we are trying to do: get as many people as possible to create music and discover how much fun that is. And its fun to imagine how it will f-up the music industry when 100M people are spending an hour a week creating music. One of the most dedicated, smart, passionate teams I've worked with--we've got Ph.D's in music, game industry vets, Apple UI gurus, and a professor on staff just to name a few. Pay is better than other startups at this stage that I've seen and risk is lower than I expected before I was considering working here--revenues are solid, opportunity is much bigger than 'just' mobile.

Cons

Working with passionate, smart people can be a double edged sword--discussions are more heated, expectations are higher. Not a great place for 9-5ers and folks that are looking to spend less time working but the WFH policy is good so that helps. Office is in Palo Alto which is fine if you're near there, but not if you live in SF. Not a lot of process so things can feel chaotic and fast if like me you're coming from a bigger company with more bureaucracy.

Fun! Exciting! Great people, we make cool products and I get to work with fun people and get paid too!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Smule

Pros

Fun people, I get to work with interesting technology on cool platforms. The upper level management has an open door policy and does listen to what engineers say. There is a flexible work schedule and no one punches a clock around here. There are also great benefits and lots of flex time. Food is good and there are lots of snacks.

Cons

None that I can think of, of course working in a startup its not a 9-5 gig so you do have to sometimes work after hours. But the work is interesting and you have the ability to come in later and come and go as you please.

Keep up the good work, its fun to work here and you listen to what we have to say.

Smule Photos