Snagajob Reviews

Peter Harrison

Good culture, bad business

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Snagajob full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of lovely perks to this company. We have a casual work environment and nice clean open offices. Some of the company employees have more free time than others allowing them to partake in the cultural company events.

Cons

In terms of running a functional business there is very little accountability or help from leadership team members. The greatest needs are often overlooked for a new flashy marketing gimmick. There are many positions that are overworked without additional employees to be hired on the horizon. As the company grows, we are experiencing more pain that is overlooked by the leaders to work towards the company vision instead of fixing the glaring issues we have internally currently. Too future focused with very little insight or care for the sand foundation we are built on. Additionally there seems to be far more politicking, backstabbing, and drama for a small company. It makes for a hostile work environment some weeks surrounded by unnecessary stress. The amazing company values and culture are not often experienced working here.

Advice to Management

Stop for a moment. Focus on what needs to be fixed. Pour money into fixing the foundation of the company, our technological architecture, before pushing forward trying to patch faulty business processes and technology along the way.

2. Best places to work in Richmond

I have been working at Snagajob

Pros

fun place to work. Loads of team spirit.

Cons

management lacks ability to manage.

Advice to Management

train your managers

3. CAP

I have been working at Snagajob

Pros

Everyone embodies CAP (collaborative, accountable, passionate) from the Directors to the Specialists to the CEO on a daily basis. Culture is very contagiously positive and have never met individuals so passionately passionate about helping others; Company also encourages employees to participate in local non profit organizations and events.

Cons

Communication sometimes, especially when projects are being released, reworked, or being patched up.

Advice to Management

Whatever the management is doing, it's working well.

5. Account Executive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Snagajob full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People. Great Culture. Everyone is very supportive and the benefits are great.

Cons

Sales is almost all cold calling. It can get very boring and frustrating. Gets hard to hit quota.

6. Resistant to change

Former Employee - SMB Account Executive in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - SMB Account Executive in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Snagajob full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun company culture with pretty sharp co-workers. All individual contributors strove to do the best work possible and focused on their contribution to helping jobseekers find job.

Cons

- Management ignored market feedback, and refused to make changes to the product offering despite consistent feedback on product packaging. Slow dev cycles & adoption of mobile made it difficult to compete in the broader job search landscape. - Petty arguments and conflicts could escalate quickly.

Advice to Management

- Be more nimble in the core product offering - Take in more customer & market feedback - Consider aligning book opportunities to provide equal potential success rates across brands.

7. Director

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Snagajob full-time

Pros

Love, love, love it here! Smart people, meaningful work and a ton of fun. It's a great culture and work environment where you can truly make a difference.

Cons

I'm sure there are some, but they are greatly outweighed by the pros.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on culture and employees, and keep pushing on technology and innovation.

8. Worth it.

I worked at Snagajob full-time

Pros

An employer who truly cares about its employees. Great benefits, ongoing training, and a working environment that is second to none. Rewards for those who are willing to work as hard as they play.

Cons

Sometimes some of the perks of working there can overshadow the difficulties they experience within the business. However, for someone with the right attitude, overcoming these obstacles is rewarded through recognition and company-noticed rewards and personal fulfillment.

Advice to Management

I don't have anything negative to say about the management at Snagajob. Keep doing what you're doing, but make sure you are giving 100% full disclosure to the redundant, nose-to-the-grindstone work that it will require to be successful in your company.

Used to be a great company.

Former Employee - Lead Developer in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Developer in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Snagajob full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people there are great! Lots of good fun!

Cons

Too many developers and operations people with huge egos but not the experience to back themselves up!! Too many employees complaining and being part of the problem and not being part of the solution. Old, awesome culture is now DEAD!! Too many young inexperienced managers making bad decisions, backstabbing and politicking.

Brand or Bust

I have been working at Snagajob

Pros

Everyone that works there is almost always upbeat. Everyone has the outer crust of a great person. The company changes directions every week, and veterans flourish, new employees get frusterated and either quit early, or ride it out until they can't take it anymore.

Cons

Territories literally make or break your experience here. You can walk in, sit down, and...o look! you've just hit your quota for the month! Or you can work your butt off, and only scrape by, or be talked down to by management that your sales skills need refining.

Advice to Management

Don't turn your back on brands and reps in those roles. Their failure is also your failure. Veterans play a huge part in the success of this company, but you must know it takes years, not months, to build that stability. Don't expect a faster ramp just...because.

Dysfunctional cult of sociopaths

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Snagajob full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Fun and open work environment. Free coffee, popcorn, and sometimes beer. Some great use of technology and some very bright people work there, although the crazies far outnumber them.

Cons

First off, let me say this review is for my time at Snagajob in the Spring of 2012. I never wrote a review then because I was so thoroughly disgusted after leaving that I could not have cared less. But after recently seeing that this place has a favorable rating of 3.7 on Glassdoor, I owed it to readers to know my story. I've been in IT for over two decades and Snagajob is the absolute worst, and I've had some major disappointments in both the private and government sector. I worked at Snagajob for less than a month. The first week was great, but then I got the most disrespectful, unwarranted, condescending beat down in my entire life on week two. I was talked to with complete disdain by a person who was a complete micromanager, who was a horrible low-talker, who didn't have any personal skills, who was obviously unqualified for the job, and who completely disregarded my wealth of experience and knowledge, that would have totally crushed her work if I would have ended up staying at that asylum. At the end of the second week, she took me aside in a conference room for 30 minutes and proceeded to berate me in a very offensive, passive-aggressive manner that was the most bizarre thing I ever experienced in the workplace. Complete sociopath, as were a handful of her co-workers that I encountered. At the start of week three I was looking forward to working with a different person assigned to me during the so-called 6-week bootcamp, but the first thing she did that Monday morning was inform me I'd be spending another week with her because my "performance was so abysmal" the week before. Those were her exact words. How's that for a good morning? Since my quick exit from that mess in 2012, I've encountered seven other former Snaggers with similar experiences. I even tried talking one guy out of going there, but he didn't listen. Five months later he was let go after being set up for failure. This scenario is not uncommon there. Avoid it like the plague.

Advice to Management

Admit that you spend more time on marketing your facade and phony reputation and not enough time on your products or your people. Fire the sociopaths and control freaks, and rebuild that crazy culture from the ground up. I don't know how you can get any new employees with your horrible reputation in Richmond, and beyond.

RSS Feed </> Embed