Snagajob

Peter Harrison

Dysfunctional cult of sociopaths

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Snagajob full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay.
    Fun and open work environment.
    Free coffee, popcorn, and sometimes beer.
    Some great use of technology and some very bright people work there, although the crazies far outnumber them.

Cons

First off, let me say this review is for my time at Snagajob in the Spring of 2012. I never wrote a review then because I was so thoroughly disgusted after leaving that I could not have cared less. But after recently seeing that this place has a favorable rating of 3.7 on Glassdoor, I owed it to readers to know my story. I've been in IT for over two decades and Snagajob is the absolute worst, and I've had some major disappointments in both the private and government sector.

I worked at Snagajob for less than a month. The first week was great, but then I got the most disrespectful, unwarranted, condescending beat down in my entire life on week two. I was talked to with complete disdain by a person who was a complete micromanager, who was a horrible low-talker, who didn't have any personal skills, who was obviously unqualified for the job, and who completely disregarded my wealth of experience and knowledge, that would have totally crushed her work if I would have ended up staying at that asylum. At the end of the second week, she took me aside in a conference room for 30 minutes and proceeded to berate me in a very offensive, passive-aggressive manner that was the most bizarre thing I ever experienced in the workplace. Complete sociopath, as were a handful of her co-workers that I encountered.

At the start of week three I was looking forward to working with a different person assigned to me during the so-called 6-week bootcamp, but the first thing she did that Monday morning was inform me I'd be spending another week with her because my "performance was so abysmal" the week before. Those were her exact words. How's that for a good morning?

Since my quick exit from that mess in 2012, I've encountered seven other former Snaggers with similar experiences. I even tried talking one guy out of going there, but he didn't listen. Five months later he was let go after being set up for failure. This scenario is not uncommon there. Avoid it like the plague.

Admit that you spend more time on marketing your facade and phony reputation and not enough time on your products or your people. Fire the sociopaths and control freaks, and rebuild that crazy culture from the ground up. I don't know how you can get any new employees with your horrible reputation in Richmond, and beyond.

Great New Direction!

Current Employee - Franchise Account Executive in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Franchise Account Executive in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Snagajob full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The office culture is truly refreshing compared to many other organizations (especially in Sales), but more importantly the overall direction of the company and new product focus (starting to address any areas where we may fall short) is a great change of pace from where the company was headed previously.

Cons

There are times where the office culture is touted almost too much. As an SAJ employee you have to be accountable to your projects/quota/whatever and for new folks this can be confusing as they might be blinded by the cultural advertisements and in for a rude accountability awakening if they fall short of their expected production. Not necessarily a bad thing, but culture needs to be seen as secondary to being successful and accountable in your role.

Continue the direction and company involvement in that direction. The turnaround is still in full-swing, but looks like we are headed in a great direction.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Support in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Support in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Snagajob

Pros

Plenty of talented and friendly co-workers. Perks like pingpong, beer tap, foosball. Great mission, great benefits.

Cons

Lack of communication from leadership. Unfocused and inconsistent directives. Can be cliquey and gossipy.

Proactively the employees know about the status of directives and the progress that has or hasn't been made. Dont just wait for it to be brought up.

An exciting work environment with a fulfilling mission!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Snagajob full-time

Pros

Great work environment with extremely smart co-workers, awesome culture, energetic, start-up atmosphere, casual attire which is nice and really nice perks/benefits.

Cons

Very open work environment (think tables for desktops vs. offices) which can be distracting, but also contributes to the culture, lots and lots of meetings which makes it tough to execute on deliverables from previous meetings because you are often running to the next meeting, senior leadership is off-site the majority of the time.

Be comfortable with change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Snagajob full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A quickly growing company with a high paced and change type culture, fantastic co-workers, solid/appropriate pay scales, opportunities present themselves to those who work for them (hasn't always been the case), amazing mission to work towards, opportunities to create value in the organization as well as make an impact, some leadership team members are stronger than others and if you can work with those - they definitely make every day worth it. If you're looking for a company where you can work hard

Cons

Office politics and gossip can often shade people's views of what goes on, however it's no different or no more than what happens at other companies. Some leadership is way stronger than others. Lack of accountability for those who aren't as strong - sometimes the company keeps on people that aren't producing the level of quality work demanded. Work loads increase when people have to take on responsibilities to ensure that they get done right or to make up for resource issues.

Increase the culture of accountability in order to retain top talent and continue to improve the company bottom line.

Amazing turnaround at Snagajob

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Snagajob full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Snagajob was just awarded Top 20 Best Places to Work for the 7th straight year, and it's clear why. "Snaggers" have a passion for the mission-- helping job seekers around the country find employment-- and enjoy coming to work every day. The culture is hard to beat. Work-life balance is a plus. I've referred several friends to the company. Snagajob recently opened an office near Washington, DC, so it's not just for Richmond folks anymore.

Cons

Training isn't super formalized, but they're working on making it much more structured.

Keep doing what you're doing. The company has done a 180 in the past 2 years since the new CEO and leadership came on board.

Passion, Excitement, and Growth - Snagajob might have found that rare balance

Current Employee - Manager, Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager, Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Snagajob full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High energy and passionate organization. Great work life balance, gym in office (employees focused on wellness, workouts midday are common), emphasis on giving back to the community, lots of social events, office olympics (Chair Soccer Arena!). Majority of the team has more than 5 years of tenure which for a tech company is impressive. The leadership team (most new in past 2 years) has done a great job of renewing the excitement of the growth ahead for the company. The socially conscious nature of the business is embraced by the team which creates a cool vibe combined with focus on growing. Paternity leave, good vacation policy, perks like season tickets to major sports teams, yoga classes, classes on cool topics like wine tasting, how to grill, self defense, etc. Employees are called Snaggers and the culture makes it very evident why it has been voted one of the best places to work in America, 7 years running.

Cons

The company is growing and with that is experience growing pains, that aren't insurmountable. Hiring needs to be accelerated to keep up with demand. Company needs more outside perspectives to complement the currently talented team. The accelerated hiring has added more people which makes maintaing the culture a bit more of a challenge, but a priority. The company has gone through a lot of change from 2011 to 2013 as evident by new leadership, some scars from that period remain, but are mostly gone.

Continue to promote the positives, as it is contagioius.

Fun company to work for you, if you live in Richmond..

Former Employee - Mae in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Mae in Richmond, VA

I worked at Snagajob full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun culture, decent pay/benefits, collaboration They really did a great job in the interviewing process.

Cons

Leadership was lacking. Execution of the business plan fell flat.

Management staff there when I was there has churned. Speaking from the experiences I had while there.

A Management Mess

I worked at Snagajob full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Younger, hard working teams that promote social atmosphere and volunteerism. Lots of events and opportunities to feel good.

Cons

Long hours and a lack of leadership on most levels. External spin of amazing place to work with awards, but behind the scenes a lot of burn out.

Have a clear plan before you veer left then right.

Franchise Account Executive

Former Employee - Franchise Account Executive in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Franchise Account Executive in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Snagajob full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible; work hard play hard environment. Great training and collaborative atmosphere. Even though company is 14 years old, it has a start up feel and mentality.

Cons

Brands and the book of business that is designated to reps can easily help make or break your quota. Some reps will be prospecting all day and generate a small dollar amount while others don't prospect and earn 2X or 3X of Presidents Club numbers.

Continue to develop a career plan for employees while sustaining the culture and environment of this small, start up type of business.

Snagajob Photos