Snapfish Reviews

Updated June 3, 2014

2.1

Helen Vaid

Working at Snapfish means working at HP

I have been working at Snapfish full-time

Pros

Fun brand, global presence, big company resources and processes (which could also be a con depending on how look at it), cute custom photo products

Cons

Business model past its heyday, just a marketing expense now for HP which doesn't give it much love, many great people have left and really hard to hire with limited upside and growth potential

Figure out what the real purpose of Snapfish is in a world where people don't print pictures anymore

Stuck in neutral until radical changes are implemented.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Snapfish as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The best thing at Snapfish are the truly exceptional, professional people devoted to the company under the most difficult of conditions. I respect these folks, and found my personal manager to be one such person. These folks are the ‘stars’ of the company and are the ones keep the ship afloat. I would say that this population represents thankfully 15-20% of the company.

The compensation and benefits were excellent, as well as the work life balance and flexibility.

Overall, I had no regrets working at Snapfish – while I would be lying to say that I did feel it derailed my career a bit, it was all worth it considering I met some incredibly great folks, and was exposed to new areas that I was able to learn and grow in.

Cons

I find most of these reviews heavily biased, I will try my best to be as objective as possible. Snapfish is a relatively mature post startup company that was acquired by Hewlett Packard. It has approximately 150 employees based mainly in San Francisco. It specializes in photo products, and its main competitor is Shutterfly.

Snapfish is a company that is struggling to cope with an industry that has shifted away from physical media. The advent of social networks such as Facebook and Instagram have left the need for prints/albums redundant. While one can lament this reality, this shift is not necessarily mean the end for Snapifsh.

The worst aspect at Snapfish are some of the miserable employees. Unfortunately, their unhappiness personal and or professional combined with a lack of social hygiene spills over to other workers. It only hurts the morale and is a soul busting environment at times. These folks are either actively looking for another role or worse, feel ‘stuck/trapped’ here. It unfortunately, represents about 10-15% of the company in my opinion.

The rest of the folks are your basic rank and file that come to work, do their jobs, and go home to live their lives. There is nothing wrong with this mentality – in fact its the common culture at large mature big companies. Just keep in mind that the bulk of the company (65%-75%) fall in this category that in a small operation like Snapfish cannot be sustained and at the same time grow to anything meaningful. This mindset is not static, by the way, many of the folks in this category would be more engaged if you give them a reason to be so.

Given these challenges it is obvious to all that morale is pretty low. It has a downward spiral effect on the culture of the company. This downbeat spirit combined with the inherent bureaucracy that comes with being a subsidiary of Hewlett Packard, only contributes to the gloomy atmosphere. There is the Hewlett Packard red tape and big company sludge. Examples are: (firewall on top of a firewall, enterprise level communication tools that often breaks and are slow.) Also a culture of cover you’re back. This all contributes on any risk taking or truly thinking out of the box for real growth.

In the spirit of frank honesty – I would highly recommend you stay away from Snapfish until a clear strategy forward that the whole company is not only aware of, but be genuinely excited about the path forward; otherwise the negatives outweigh the positives.

I sincerely hope they are able to turn the business around.

So what can Snapfish do to energize itself and the bulk of their workers?

I felt upper management focused more on minimizing damage versus pursuing a radical paradigm shift in the business model. An example of this is efforts to streamline and improve current processes and properties – without accepting that the patient is already terminally ill. What Snapfish requires is a brand new and different direction, a complete overhaul - a complete heart transplant. Dealing with tertiary issues such as website improvement or better products simply delays the inevitable.

I believe the employees are hungry and desperate for clear vision and direction from the leadership team. It would be dishonest of me to claim that management has been opaque – the real problem is not lack of communication as much as the lack of a real plan to get back to growth. Many people see the current initiatives as simply plugging holes in a sinking ship. One needs to know not how we’re changing the masts on the ship, or installing a new rudder, or even bringing on some new crew – the people here need to know what we’re doing to make a brand new ship altogether.

My idea is simply put the majority of resources to become an industry leader in free photo and video storage management. Be radical – offer unlimited backup of all your media. Focus on making Snapfish the place where all your digital media is stored for free and organized and managed easier than anywhere else. Be a site whereupon sign up – all your existing media from all sources linked/uploaded – then have an algorithm that organizes it. All this free with just purchase commitments that correspond to storage tiers.

For example – you get 1 TB Free – just buy $20 worth of merchandise (prints, books, calendars) - 2TB $30, etc…

Focus on awesome Applesque UI/Algorithms to be better than Flickr/iCloud. Do not go to market until one is confident that Snapfish’s photo storage site is the best offering at the industry.

Granted this idea might be unviable as I’m sure management is in a catch 22.

The omnipresent pressure to drive revenue and contribute to the bottom line for the mother ship, versus any real growth. It would require some significant capital outlay, and I would argue almost a brand new team. I’ve personally seen that it can happen when you put together a fully engaged team such as the mobile development team here, one of the few places that still has a sort of ‘startup-mentality.’

Does HP management understand or even have the desire to take this risky road? I find it hard to believe unless a risky decision is made to “do or die”– I argue that Snapfish is already past the crossroads of radical change versus accept slow death, at this point – management at HP should go big since “going home” is already a pre-programmed destination. HP management, risk now – the upside is tremendous – the downside is already inevitable.

I see parallels of Snapfish to the Music industry. The record labels fought tooth and nail the move from CDs to MP3s. The music industry tried to deny the reality that nobody will buy another CD anymore – they stuck their heads in the sand not realizing the world has moved on. The sooner Snapfish embraces all-digital, and focus on bread and butter Christmas season only – the sooner it can get back to growth.

Senior team an old boys club - no method, strategy or leadership

Current Employee - Staff Member  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Member in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Snapfish full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great market opportunity. Good office location. Nice and friendly staff. Close to Bart. Loyal customers and smart marketing teams who care deeply about them.

Cons

Seems like each week 1-2 folks leave. Amazing anyone left. Little opportunity for women in leadership roles. Buddy system and smoking club the path to exec roles.

Drop the ego and actually talk to staff. Hire just one woman at senior level! Wake up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This place has really gone downhill.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Snapfish full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you somehow make it to the management "old boy's club" by being part of management, good for you. You're in like Flynn.

Cons

Lots of holier than thou attitudes and plenty of snark. Management keeps talking about "roadmaps" yet never actually implements them successfully or on time. HP is lopping heads off, so good luck if you've just jumped on...everyone is expendable unless you're on top of the pecking order.

Sub-standard consumer proposition, horrible work environment, incompetent leadership

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Snapfish full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get good work/life balance. People in my team are very friendly and we all work well together. I have a nice line manager who I respect and trust.

Cons

Snapfish was once an internet pioneer and even won a web by award many years ago, but since HP acquired the business, it has evolved into one of the saddest internet companies. Snapfish is constantly starved of resources - ongoing headcount restrictions mean that if we lose a college they can't be replaced, and our marketing budget earlier this year got cut severely meaning it is impossible to hit our numbers.

The company is very US-focused despite being a worldwide business so many of us marketers in country teams in Europe do our very best to sell a proposition which is inferior to our local competitors. The San Francisco headquarters does little to develop for outside the US and this has meant everywhere struggles to deliver on expectations. Even the US business (I heard from my line manager) isn't growing and they have all the resources. Our websites aren't good enough to compete in the market and thus the leadership has decided to progressively shut many countries down and we have struggled to hit our targets for a few years now. This is extremely demoralizing given it's very hard to keep coming to work everyday, working really hard and not being able to feel good about the campaigns you are trying to get done. Unfortunately everyone outside of the US team I have spoken to feels this too.

A lot of my colleagues and I had high hopes when we got a new GM in Europe at the start of 2013 who came from outside of HP. He was the best leader there has ever been in the business and our world changed for the better - he provided a lot of insights on best practices, was inclusive in his approach soliciting ideas and feedback from all, and had the honesty, capability and integrity a true leader has. He engaged with all of us (not just with my line manager and the other people directly reporting to him) and he always pushed hard on the San Francisco HQ teams to try make them deliver something that would help us in our markets. Unfortunately for us he resigned after less than a year telling us he didn't feel the company was the right culture fit (I think that was his polite way of saying the business was screwed). Since our GM left things have gone back to the old way of doing things - trying to make up for a sub-standard proposition by continually discounting to drive sales. As a online marketer, this type of work is completely mindless and reinforces we don't have a product or proposition that people want anymore unless we give it away for almost nothing. I don't know of any online company that's successful by giving away almost all of their margin to coerce people to transact to overcome an unsatisfactory product with a poor user experience..

I've seen so much over the past few years of working at Snapfish that unfortunately I can't ever see it improving, certainly not if HP retains ownership, nor if HP retains the current incompetent leadership team.

If you're thinking of applying for a job, I'd recommend going to another more innovative company where there's not as much resource constraints and where you actually can make a difference. It's a common sight in the office to see everyone looking at job ads - a sure sign that we all want out of this dreadful place.

If you like Politics, Bureaucracy, and a slow-paced environment this is the place for you.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Snapfish full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place for lazy folk.
    Incompetent? You'll fit right in.
    Good location for commuting to SOMA.

Work-life balance is excellent if you believe in the 80/20 rule: That's 80% life, 20% work. Work from home all you like and take paid vacations without logging them; nobody's keeping track of how often you're not in the office so why should you? This is only good if you're not the one doing all the work, so good luck to you.

Cons

Remote teams in India and Europe are a challenge to work with in terms of time difference. No one will appreciate this work, unless they are in the trenches with you.

Disgruntled employees. Gossip. Lack of trust. "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude from Senior Management. Management is a good 10 years behind in management technique industry standards. Management tries, but hiring outside consultants to do your job doesn't cut it.

If you want a career in politics this is the place for you. I see a lot of future congressmen and women here.

Far too great a divide between senior management and employees. Senior management provides information on a need-to-know basis, which leads to gossip, surprises, and lack of trust. Very little transparency. Getting rid of the politics will be difficult without replacing everyone in Senior Management. A lot of people are getting away with doing nothing and getting promotions while collecting a paycheck.

A struggling business made worse by poor leadership.

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Snapfish full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Many of the employees are intelligent, dedicated and engaging. Working with those individuals was always pleasant and satisfying.
    2) The location is convenient to Muni, BART, and Caltrain.

Cons

1) Senior management lacks leadership skill and shows no inclination to resolve the problem. A combination of inexperience and opportunistic behavior has led them to make poor business decisions and to over-commit to their HP superiors. The result is that managers have turned to political backstabbing and blame casting.
    2) The photo product business is mature and crowded. Lack of innovation and an inrush of leaner competitors has eroded Snapfish's historical advantage. Given HP's overall problems, and their need to focus on the business they know, the future of this business is cloudy.

Resign.

Cool/Smart People, fun environment but tough overarching bureaucratic rules from HP

Current Employee - Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Snapfish as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

-Snapfish is a casual environment.
    -People here are all very smart, sharp, and cool. Easy to get along with and collaborate with.
    -Most of the people here care about the business and want Snapfish to get better (Not just a paycheck).
    -Flexibility on what you want to accomplish. There are avenues to take to get your idea in front of the right people.
    -Startup mentality and trying to grow internal employee satisfaction.
    -Potential to be #1 and be stellar

Cons

-Overarching bureaucracy from HP that make almost everything, that should be simple, more difficult to do. Mainly because HP is such a big corporation and has dealt with many negatives and thus wrote rules for them and thus has a process but not all rules can or should be applied to all subsidiaries and groups.
    -You can get your ideas in front of the right people but sometimes it might not cause a change. Sometimes the communication level is very low between management and employees. It sometimes even feels like they don't believe we know what we're talking about, even if we're in the front lines.
    -We have the capacity to move fast like a startup but are bogged down by rules and regulations from HP.
    -Not many 'how-to' processes were recorded since the acquisition by HP and so sometimes questions have a hard time finding answers.
    -Feels like we're not prioritizing enough and so juggling too many projects labeled 'top priority'.
    -A bit silo'd but a lot is being done to try to integrate. Still there are always the kids who think they are too cool for school and will not even try.
    -The word 'No' is so much more prevalent than 'Yes'.

Get one thing done, then start working on the other. We don't quite care about the long list of projects you're taking on, we just care about the list of projects that are completed and live. You are smart enough and had the drive to get to your position- now don't just kill the fire since you've reached your goal- start building your legacy. Even though you are in management, you are have to stop treating us like you're smarter than everyone else. You can be the best darn coach in any sport but without your assistant coaches or players, you are nothing.

There is no where else I would rather be...

Current Employee - Operations  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Snapfish full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are so many pros for this company, I don't know where to start. Snapfish has gone through many transitions, but we are only just beginning to scratch the surface of what is possible.
    I believe in what we do, I believe in so many of the people I work with, and I believe that we have the right person at the helm.

1. What we are about
    We are helping people preserve their memories. We are holding moments of time on our servers. We are helping people remember their first kiss, their firstborn, their wedding, their family members that are with us, their family members that have passed on, and so on and so on and so on. What could be better than being memory keepers and giving others the ability of sharing those memories with other people.

2.. The people
    When I first started, there were amazing people. And there continues to be amazing people here. I look forward to being in the office...even on Mondays.

3.Career Growth
    There is an opportunity for career growth. Most open positions are filled by first looking at internal candidates. People are given opportunities to change direction and change teams. You are given every opportunity to find what it is you love doing...if you are willing to seek out that opportunity.

4. 0pen Communication
    I feel as if I can be honest about what I think with no thought to who I am speaking to. It could be a co-worker, a manager, or Helen herself. Honesty is encouraged and open discussions to address concerns are welcome.

5. Hp
    We are HP. Sky is the limit.

6. Food and Beverage
    This may be a small thing, but the selection of food and drink everyday is a perk! Bagels on Mondays, Fruit on Wednesdays. Random lunches throughout the week. And if there is something you want but they don't have stocked...simply ask. The Admin staff will do what they can, within reason.

7. Location
    The location is amazing. Only a few blocks from the bart, the water, the ballpark. You can't ask for a more beautiful location to take a walk during lunch.

Cons

1. Unhappy People
    As in any company, I am sure, there are people who are unhappy. We have some unhappy people at Snapfish. I don't think this as a company flaw, necessarily. It is more of a shame. If you don't love where you are at...leave. Life is too short...for all of us.

2. Tools
    Sometimes I am astonished at what I must do to even get a simple report run for me.

3. Re-orgs.
    Being a part of HP and the massive changes that the organization has undergone over the last few years have impacted Snapfish quite a bit.

Keep listening.
    Hold people accountable, including yourselves.
    Remind people what we are about.

"Self starter" is not just an expression

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Snapfish full-time for more than a year

Pros

People - smart, fun, interesting, helpful when they're not buried
    Location - 3 blocks from BART/Muni, CalTrain
    Snacks - bagel Monday, fruit Wednesday, assorted chips, drinks, cereal, milk, candy
    Atmosphere/attire - casual
    Ethnic mix - eclectic
    There's a < 1 year old campaign to increase employee morale using a non-manager open-door group called the Mavens who keep their ear to the ground and convey feedback to upper mgt
    CEO seems sincere in desire to increase morale
    According to some customers, their lives and happiness are enhanced by Snapfish's products

Cons

Not grown up enough for a 12 year old company; still wishes it were a start up
    Minimal to no training provided; mind reading abilities expected
    High attrition
    HP bureaucracy; terrible intranet, internal processes
    Weak management - CEO is scattered, tho less so since the reinstallation of SVP Pradeep Jotwani; 1 sr. mgr. is MIA physically and from email often; another sr. mgr. manages by sarcasm; poor communicators
    Snapfish is tied to HP's printing/toner business
    Groups within Snapfish are siloed, e.g. RWS which serves Walgreens and Walmart, might as well be another country
    Salary/benefits

Read a management book. Take a management course. Figure out how you can increase morale and decrease attrition. Ask your employees how you can serve them better and then serve them better. Communicate clearly and on a timely basis even if it is uncomfortable. Set expectations plainly and mind the store.

Worked for Snapfish? Contribute to the Community!