Snell & Wilmer

Snell & Wilmer Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014

John Bouma

A stable company to work for

Former Employee - Accounting in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Accounting in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits with generous time off for vacation/holidays

Cons

management cliques, not a lot of growth possiblility

Listen to employee suggestions

Lasting and stable environment

I have been working at Snell & Wilmer

Pros

Great benefits such as time off, health benefits and flexable. Company encourges employees to spend time with family.Company history is neat and continues through the years.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are lackying a bit. There really isn't room for advancement within the company. Once you are in your posistion, you pretty much stay or have to move on.

My first position in a law firm was a good experience and I am grateful for the opportunity.

Former Employee - File Clerk in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - File Clerk in Denver, CO

I worked at Snell & Wilmer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Snell & Wilmer has a calm working environment. The staff are hard-working, collegial and dedicated to excellent work.

Cons

A handful of attorneys hold themselves separate from administrative staff.

Can be great--but all depends on your practice group

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When assigned to a healthy practice group, meaning one with plenty of work and nice attorneys, it can be a very positive professional growth experience. For most of my career there, that was the case. I was paid well, my time was flexible and I worked from home now and then. Overall this firm is one of very smart and very hard working professionals.

Cons

Highly political. You will never get a straight, truthful answer from administration--just the company line. The paralegal administrator and her immediate staff are a tight clique who look out for their own backs first, but give the impression they advocate for paralegals. Very misleading. Also, it is up to each paralegal to hunt down their own work in order to make their annual billable requirement. This is horribly stressful and puts paralegals in competition with one another. Two major layoffs in the last five years tells me the company is not as healthy as they want others to believe.

The firm is in dire need of improvements in morale and attention to the declining office culture. Many attorneys are too stuck up to even speak when spoken to in the halls or an elevator. Older and younger ones both do this and they need to get over themselves and use some manners. Executive Committee is so terribly out of touch with the real people who work there and keep that place running. Culture and values have taken a real dive in the last five years.

It was a great job, but horrible HR director at the Las Vegas location. Lack of attention to issues.

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They paid very well. They gave a decent Christmas bonus. They supported local charities. Had great Christmas parties. Great office location.

Cons

I can't give any cons, as it would have to directly name past and current employees. It all boils down to the lack of attention and action to certain activites that were harming the company and some clients.

Keep donating to the local charities and don't fire a whistle blower for doing the right thing.

Best place to work in a difficult field!

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal
    Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

S&W challenges their paralegals to be the best they can be. They treat them with respect and professionalism that is hard to find in other law firms, not just big firms. They have annual retreats for the paralegals that give them a chance to meet others in the different offices that we may communicate with but never see. Paralegals are encouraged to be part of their local bar divisions as well as participate in pro bono activities with the attorneys. I felt like a valued member of the team and had a lot of opportunities to work with a variety of attorneys and travel among the different offices. As a paralegal, it was also a pro to have Meredith Larabee as our liaison with the executive committee. Great benefits (health, 401k, bonuses), nice buildings to work in, fun summer events and Christmas events, great opportunities for community service.

Cons

A lot of politics that have to be navigated through. Also, paralegals are not really encouraged to work together or support one another, instead at times it can feel like a competition. Some of the attorneys do not treat any non-attorney well, which makes for awkward positions when you are attempting to complete projects. There was a good outlet with Meredith, but with so many offices it is difficult, at times, to work through issues that present themselves. Some of the staff does not act professional among themselves, which can make for a tense work place. Another con would be the amount of hours worked to meet expectations doesn't allow for a lot of flexibility to balance between work and home life.

Have a liasion for the paralegals in each of the offices that works with Meredith to insure that the paralegals are treated well.

Decent employer

Former Employee - Paralegal Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Paralegal Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training, Benefits, etc. People were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Just a number in the end.

Horrible

Former Employee - Legal Secrtary in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Secrtary in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO was the best thing.

Cons

Low pay compared to other firms of similar size.

Look at the common link when dealing with problems.

Good Experience

I have been working at Snell & Wilmer full-time

Pros

Generous Paid Time Off and Vacation

Cons

No, none at this time.

The pay is really good. They work you to the bone.

Former Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, Prestige, Looks great on a resume.

Cons

No life outside of work.

Treat associates like humans, remember we have families.