Snell & Wilmer Reviews

Updated April 2, 2015
24 reviews filtered by
2.7
John Bouma

1. Nice People. Stable Firm.

I have been working at Snell & Wilmer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The firm is financially stable. The people in the California offices are very friendly and get along very well. Generous with personal time.

Cons

The salary I have experienced seems low when compared to other firms.

2. HATE THIS PLACE

Former Employee - Staff in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Staff in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and shorter work week. Nothing further to write positive about that hell hole

Cons

The staff is mean. This place has too many "cliques". You do not do what you are hired for. Management sucks. I wanted to quit this place after the second day I was hired. Point fingers. The don't care about the staff. Bonus sucks. It's snitches in every corner. Whoever goes to HR they brag about it. Catty, messy and by far the worst place for employment.

Advice to Management

Revamp this entire place. Get involved. Take care of your staff better for one by at least putting the cutlery in containers and not just thrown in the drawers like the staff is just animals. Casual dress considering the staff and attorneys are kept separate anyway.

3. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't do it again...life is too short.

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice offices, good benefits, staff training opportunities, great internal IT support, shorter work week. Like a lot of big firms, there are great attorneys to work for and some not so great. Most of the attorneys I worked with were genuinely really nice people.

Cons

Essentially a sweat shop in a nice office setting. The firm also gets away with low pay due to it's name and reputation within the legal community. Minimal opportunities for advancement. My advice to anyone considering employment here or a present employee, DO NOT TRUST anyone in management and watch your personal computer use ... big brother is always watching. If you are not a favorite of management you will essentially be ignored and considered disposable.

Advice to Management

I don't think it will ever change unless someone cleans house with regard to management and the directors. The clique culture is too embedded within this elitist group.

5. High drama; hire and fire until they find the 'right fit' rather than fix the problem in the department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Snell & Wilmer full-time

Pros

It's downtown with lots of cute restaurants and places to go during lunch or after work. There's a parking garage under the building. If you can carpool or bus, there is assistance from the firm. Good benefits.

Cons

Environment full of drama, finger pointing, back stabbing - very corporate. Firm has a department where they have fired at least the last three people hired in less than nine months, trying to find just the 'right fit' instead of looking to what is wrong in the department or asking the attorneys to change their attitude. Attorneys tell HR they want admin staff to be friendly but really do not want you to and will walk right by you on the sidewalk without so much as a glance or a nod, repeatedly. If you are considering employment there, be sure you are going to be doing the job you think you are hired for. For instance, if you are hired as a file clerk, you could be doing post-closing title work or legal admin staff hired into a dept that is really loan processing.

6. It started out great.

I worked at Snell & Wilmer

Pros

Great co-workers...and that's about it!

Cons

Terrible, terrible management! You have to play the office politics game to work here and be successful. There have been several lay off's over the last few years and everyone was concerned about job security.

7. A stable company to work for

Former Employee - Accounting in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Accounting in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits with generous time off for vacation/holidays

Cons

management cliques, not a lot of growth possiblility

Advice to Management

Listen to employee suggestions

8. Lasting and stable environment

I have been working at Snell & Wilmer

Pros

Great benefits such as time off, health benefits and flexable. Company encourges employees to spend time with family.Company history is neat and continues through the years.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are lackying a bit. There really isn't room for advancement within the company. Once you are in your posistion, you pretty much stay or have to move on.

9. My first position in a law firm was a good experience and I am grateful for the opportunity.

Former Employee - File Clerk in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - File Clerk in Denver, CO

I worked at Snell & Wilmer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Snell & Wilmer has a calm working environment. The staff are hard-working, collegial and dedicated to excellent work.

Cons

A handful of attorneys hold themselves separate from administrative staff.

10. It was a great job, but horrible HR director at the Las Vegas location. Lack of attention to issues.

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They paid very well. They gave a decent Christmas bonus. They supported local charities. Had great Christmas parties. Great office location.

Cons

I can't give any cons, as it would have to directly name past and current employees. It all boils down to the lack of attention and action to certain activites that were harming the company and some clients.

Advice to Management

Keep donating to the local charities and don't fire a whistle blower for doing the right thing.

11. Can be great--but all depends on your practice group

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Snell & Wilmer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When assigned to a healthy practice group, meaning one with plenty of work and nice attorneys, it can be a very positive professional growth experience. For most of my career there, that was the case. I was paid well, my time was flexible and I worked from home now and then. Overall this firm is one of very smart and very hard working professionals.

Cons

Highly political. You will never get a straight, truthful answer from administration--just the company line. The paralegal administrator and her immediate staff are a tight clique who look out for their own backs first, but give the impression they advocate for paralegals. Very misleading. Also, it is up to each paralegal to hunt down their own work in order to make their annual billable requirement. This is horribly stressful and puts paralegals in competition with one another. Two major layoffs in the last five years tells me the company is not as healthy as they want others to believe.

Advice to Management

The firm is in dire need of improvements in morale and attention to the declining office culture. Many attorneys are too stuck up to even speak when spoken to in the halls or an elevator. Older and younger ones both do this and they need to get over themselves and use some manners. Executive Committee is so terribly out of touch with the real people who work there and keep that place running. Culture and values have taken a real dive in the last five years.