Snowbird

Bob Bonar

pretty good experience

Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Snowbird, UT
    Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Snowbird, UT

I worked at Snowbird full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros are obvious: steep, deep, huge amounts of terrain. The mountain school is a well run operation with clear expectations and decent pay. I enjoyed 2 years there but thought I would try something new.

Cons

Some complained of a corporate atmosphere but I don't know what this means other than having to show up on time and clean shaven (even on that there is some leeway if they like you). It's probably harder to move up the hierarchy than at smaller less professional organizations, but if you get your level 2 cert and are a good instructor you will advance pretty quickly. The organization seems to lack vision but they have spent and invested quite a lot the last few years. The pay isn't quite as good as Park City, but who cares? The biggest con for me was probably living in Salt Lake City when I would probably prefer a mountain town.

Not a bad winter

I worked at Snowbird full-time

Pros

Free skiing and food/retail discounts. Co-workers were cool.

Cons

The drive up the canyon every morning. Constant delays for avalanche control work.

Don't get stuck there.

Current Employee - Front End in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Front End in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Snowbird full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great snowboarding, coworkers and can't complain about working in the mountains.

Cons

Upper management asks for feedback yet nothing seems to change. The frontline staff is taken advantage of with mediocre pay and constantly apologizing for the company's misleading advertising(nothing costs what they advertise) The place is in a constant state of employee turnover. They can't keep people around because the pay isn't competitive enough.

Pay your employees!!!
    Most mangers are in a perpetual state of hiring and interviewing new employees for the same positions over and over...

Don't work here!

Current Employee - Restaurant Server in Snowbird, UT
    Current Employee - Restaurant Server in Snowbird, UT

I have been working at Snowbird full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not much good I can say bout this place except the skiing.

Cons

No advancement opportunities, terribly mismanaged at almost every level, pay is worse than horrible.

The place needs a serious transfusion, it's ran by an exclusive club of employees who have never worked anywhere else

Great Natural Beauty

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Snowbird full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Un-paralleled snow and fantastic terrain. Ski season last 6-8 months. Most of the worker bees do a fantastic job, without them the resort would be lackluster at best.

Cons

Lacks diversity and vision. Seemingly managed by the "good ole boy" network and sometimes hypocritical in managerial decisions. Recently the owner, who claims to be a nature lover and outdoorsman, attempted to develop a open face coal mine in a pristine salmon fishing area in Alaska.

A very close introspective look would reveal a lot.

Assistant Director: Challenging and fast-paced

I have been working at Snowbird full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the staff is like a family and I was able to meet some of the best friends I have here.

Cons

didn't have the utilities I needed to perform my job better, work-life balance extremely difficult to manage as the hours needed to work to do job exceeded what I'd consider the norm, low pay for how much you're expected to work

Great coworkers, mediocre pay, amazing skiing

Former Employee - Manager in Snowbird, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Snowbird, UT

I worked at Snowbird full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Skiing is great, summer is relaxing, access to great discount gear

Cons

Road closures due to avalanche danger, working on a powder day

Offer more competitive salaries, increase year-round operations and work on staff retention.

Seriously????

I worked at Snowbird

Pros

A world class ski resort right out your front door, free pass to ski/snowboard on your days off, adventurous co workers in every department, & great networking opportunity. Plus year round possibilities.

Cons

Way too corporate. I got hired at Aire's as a back server. I showed up to orientation which meant sitting in a room with no guests for 8 hours filling out paperwork and watching sexual harassment movies. Before I could enter the conference room I was given a disposable razor and a can of shaving cream to shave the micro fuzz off of my face because they don't allow beards!! Its a ski resort in the mountains, and their neighbor right next door less than a block away called Alta allows 4 foot long beards!! Its a ski resort in the mountains and you don't allow beards?? But you allow visible tattoos, face piercing's and multiple ear rings???????? Avalanche closes the roads regularly sometimes you get caught up there over night with no place to stay. Working at Aeire you can't ride the bus or take the carpooling van because they only run until 6pm and you don't even start work until 5pm and go until 11pm?

Training is 2 weeks long and literally requires you to learn the growing process of fruits and vegetables, slaughter process of meats, and their origin, and history of dishes and 300 pages of other useless information that no one dead or alive will ever ask you about. Plus you have to do this training one on one with the chef and learn wine pairings with 9 different wine experts. The world class chef calls his ketchup frite debay which is mayo & ketchup mixed together nothing special every other place just calls it fry sauce. Alot of fancy names for alot of regular menu items.

On top of that the resort will hand out parking tickets regularly even though your a co worker for parking too long in the employee parking lot!! Anything you consider fun on the slopes besides skiing or riding will probably get you fired. The discounts you get on retail or various restaurants around the mountain doesn't even bring it down reasonable prices.

Don't expect to make any money what so ever working here. In 5 months working 5 shifts a week I made a grand total of 6300 counting wages + tips. It cost me $20 a day to drive up the mountain pass to work and back each shift. There is no employee housing, but Alta right next door has an entire hotel for employee housing. On snow days you will have to deal with the police 3-4 times a day checkign your tires, chains, life history, blood type, whatever they want too.

You make millions of dollars a year in a 6 month time frame and you can't afford to pay your employees enough to actually make more than they did at 16 at the local fast food joint? You can't afford employee housing? Share the wealth and remember your roots!! Its a ski resort. People go there to goof off and have fun and live teh dream. Beards aren't going to make them go elsewhere.

free unlimited season ski pass

Former Employee - House Keeper in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - House Keeper in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Snowbird full-time (less than an year)

Pros

free unlimited season ski pass

Cons

low pay, thankless work, canyon transportation is difficult

pay more

Awesome, but could be far better!

I have been working at Snowbird full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the best skiing in the world & get to ski a lot with a free season pass, beautiful environment, friendly people, and you get to escape the nasty SLC valley inversion every day for work.

Cons

Very poor pay rates, some employees are condescending, travel/traffic can be difficult & very time consuming during snow storms and after powder days.

Pay more competitively to get and retain top-notch employees. Show more respect to employees across the board.

Snowbird Photos