Snowbird Reviews

Bob Bonar

1. pretty good experience

Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Snowbird, UT
    Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Snowbird, UT

I worked at Snowbird full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are obvious: steep, deep, huge amounts of terrain. The mountain school is a well run operation with clear expectations and decent pay. I enjoyed 2 years there but thought I would try something new.

Cons

Some complained of a corporate atmosphere but I don't know what this means other than having to show up on time and clean shaven (even on that there is some leeway if they like you). It's probably harder to move up the hierarchy than at smaller less professional organizations, but if you get your level 2 cert and are a good instructor you will advance pretty quickly. The organization seems to lack vision but they have spent and invested quite a lot the last few years. The pay isn't quite as good as Park City, but who cares? The biggest con for me was probably living in Salt Lake City when I would probably prefer a mountain town.

2. Don't work here!

Current Employee - Restaurant Server in Snowbird, UT
    Current Employee - Restaurant Server in Snowbird, UT

I have been working at Snowbird full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much good I can say bout this place except the skiing.

Cons

No advancement opportunities, terribly mismanaged at almost every level, pay is worse than horrible.

Advice to Management

The place needs a serious transfusion, it's ran by an exclusive club of employees who have never worked anywhere else

3. Great coworkers, mediocre pay, amazing skiing

Former Employee - Manager in Snowbird, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Snowbird, UT

I worked at Snowbird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Skiing is great, summer is relaxing, access to great discount gear

Cons

Road closures due to avalanche danger, working on a powder day

Advice to Management

Offer more competitive salaries, increase year-round operations and work on staff retention.

5. ?

Current Employee - . in Snowbird, UT
    Current Employee - . in Snowbird, UT

I have been working at Snowbird

Pros

Great for people looking for a place to work while they play. You can't beat walking out the door and hitting the ski slopes. People seeking jobs here tend to be young and active. There is a good sense of community and people tend to really care about the environment in which they work. Additionally, bein able to work in the mountains and a stunning natural setting is a definate bonus.

Cons

The pay is generally lower; sometimes high stress of frequent avalanches and road closures. Entry level positions barely pay enough for an individual to get by, but that is the resort business for you. People are attracted to work there because of the lifestyle that it affords. Just don't expect to get ahead fianacially.

Advice to Management

take care of the good employees that you have.

Snowbird Photos