Snowshoe Mountain Reviews

Snowshoe Mountain CEO & COO Frank DeBerry
Frank DeBerry

1. Best place to work in WV

I have been working at Snowshoe Mountain full-time

Pros

Friendly, tight knit community. Very rural setting. Free on mountain shuttle service. Cost of living is low. Abundant scenic beauty and wildlife is plentiful. Clean/cool mountain air. Numerous outdoor activities available year-round.

Cons

Very rural setting, travel times of 30 minutes to 1 hour to small sized cities. Year-round jobs are limited.

2. good food, friendly folk

Former Employee - Line Cook, Prep Cook, Waitress in Slatyfork, WV
    Former Employee - Line Cook, Prep Cook, Waitress in Slatyfork, WV

I worked at Snowshoe Mountain full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good food, good hours, GREAT perks such as free lift tickets (winter and summer seasons), employee discounts on food and at select stores...etc

Cons

Upper management needs a lot of improvement...not a lot of room for advancement, especially for females! Will under-staff if you are very efficient, leaving "you" stretched beyond your normal hours, working in many restaurants or events...often in the same day without prior knowledge or consent!

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to what is truly important, communicate with EVERYONE on your team! Realize and acknowledge that rural living/employment in an often snowbound area, sometimes creates punctuality or even attendance issues! Concern and understanding of personal/family emergencies HAPPEN and can be handled with particular care!

3. Wild & Wonderful

Current Employee - Hospitality
    Current Employee - Hospitality

I have been working at Snowshoe Mountain full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a wondeful place to work & play! It is so beautiful up here and everyone is friendly!

Cons

There needs to be more parking for employees!!

Advice to Management

Get more parking for employees only that isnt a mile long walk to their work!!

5. Recruiting Manager

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Snowshoe, WV
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Snowshoe, WV

I have been working at Snowshoe Mountain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I believe in this place as much as I believe in the State in which it is found in. West Virginia, as well as Snowshoe may not perfect, however it is more than a "job", it is home. Snowshoe Mountain Resort is filled with beautiful characters; people simply waiting to share their story with you. I find it awesome, meeting guests from out of town, that tell me, "Man, you've got this thing figured out!" The reality is... I don't, none of us do. What I do have figured out is a life I love; a life I work hard for; and a life I simply wish to share with others. No other place have I worked that I have felt more a part of a family, and sometimes that is hard :) but there isn't a soul here that wouldn't lend a hand if you needed them, it's just the nature of the people. I hope in the future more people choose to see around the imperfections and choose to be here, really CHOOSE to be HERE. Snowshoe is absolutely a lifestyle choice, one I do not regret making.

Cons

It can be hard living on mountain where there are 9 people per square mile, and 10 cows to every one person. That is a simple fact. That is also part of it's beauty. This is a place that if you want something to change enough, come up with a plan, and it WILL happen.

Ski Company or Office Space on Snow?

I have been working at Snowshoe Mountain full-time

Pros

Beautiful place to live, upward mobility is possible since retaining employees is a low priority. Great if you're looking for work for a winter and you have schooling or work for the other 8 months of the year.

Cons

Retaining good employees is a low priority, if you are motivated and willing to put in the effort you will not be recognized for doing so. Upward mobility is possible due to this fact, but you eventually will get burnt out and then replaced and not compensated fairly for any of the extra effort. If you enjoy working under the radar, giving a 50% effort, and working with co-workers who also like to give 50% or less then this is a great place for you.

Advice to Management

Manage by knowing your staff and encouraging their efforts. Recognize successful employees with compensation, benefits, or something tangible. Be part of the community.

7. great place to work

Former Employee - Supervisor/Hostess in Snowshoe, WV
    Former Employee - Supervisor/Hostess in Snowshoe, WV

Pros

snowshoe was the best place to work meeting new people every year,management was the best to work for.

Cons

employee parking to far away and you have to walk to your job in the bitter cold and snow

Worst Resirt company

Former Employee - Food & Bev Manager in Snowshoe, WV
    Former Employee - Food & Bev Manager in Snowshoe, WV

I worked at Snowshoe Mountain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lift season pass Free dining for f&b

Cons

Horrific senior management Poor policy changes Company cares only about $$$ Guests are not important to senior management Turnover is astronomical

Advice to Management

Learn from your employees and make them happy. Happy & knowledgable employees are the key to a successful business model.

9. Whats not to like about working at a Ski Resort

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Snowshoe, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Snowshoe, WV

I have been working at Snowshoe Mountain (More than a year)

Pros

Fun ski resort atmosphere, year round activities.

Cons

Isolated location, lack of housing, low average pay

10. line cook

Former Employee - Line Cook in Snowshoe, WV
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Snowshoe, WV

Pros

good area for work and learn

Cons

the pay for hour is was less that i do at job

Advice to Management

get more paid for the employee

11. Poor management. Hourly employees are subject to layoffs at anytime.

I worked at Snowshoe Mountain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

views, free skiing, drinking, scenery

Cons

weather on the mountain can be horrible at times, management spends more time in meetings with little to no results. inside hiring and firing.

RSS Feed </> Embed