Soaring Eagle Casino

Bob VanWert

1. Like working for an awesome family you're not part of

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Mount Pleasant, MI

I have been working at Soaring Eagle Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is competitive for area (fixed, tiered system) Benefits are good Flexible and supportive management Convenient and inexpensive dining options Free use of tribal gym

Cons

Advancement to "key positions" can be difficult if not part of the tribe No holidays off (you have to use your accumulated PTO)

2. Sinnikaug Steak and chop House- saoring Eagle Casno

Current Employee - Server in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Current Employee - Server in Mount Pleasant, MI

Pros

It was fun. i like everytyhing!!!1 I like all the cTS THAT WOKR THEEREL. oh everything is a great baby

Cons

It was not fun, good pay

Advice to Management

Get a new job.

3. Housekeeping Leads are terrible people

Former Employee - Guest Room Attendant in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Former Employee - Guest Room Attendant in Mount Pleasant, MI

I worked at Soaring Eagle Casino full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40 hour work weeks, Lucy was an awesome lead. Free drinks, holiday pay, occasional opportunity for overtime, can transfer if you don't like the department after 6 months if you last that long.

Cons

They sabotage the hotel rooms of the GRA they want fired. You get accused of stuff that you aren't even doing like not changing your sheets. When you prove the lead wrong by having the security tapes pulled they then target you harder. Never being allowed to talk to a higher manager alone without your accuser not being present. They nitpick your rooms to death when you're new but yet all of the housekeepers that have been there before do half a$$ed jobs and never get disciplined for it. Bed bugs, blood, puke, trashed rooms from the indians and then no slack from management when you get a completely trashed room. Other housekeepers were catty and gossipy.

Advice to Management

Leads- stop lying to get people fired Hotel managers- Listen to your attendants when they tell you they're changing their sheets, also when disciplining them do it without the accusing lead in the room. I tried to plead my case but was called a liar. I busted my butt for 8 years in a 40 hour a week job before I started working why in the heck would I screw up and not do my job a month before I could transfer out of that horrible department? I wouldn't. You lost a great employee.

5. Very good working experience with few manageable flaws.

Current Employee - Manager in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Mount Pleasant, MI

I have been working at Soaring Eagle Casino full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job entails a lot of responsibility and gives you a lot of creative control to work with.

Cons

The management is fairly unorganized but we are working on that. Also, the smoke smell is terrible.

Advice to Management

Become a little more organized and try to open up and become more social with the employees and customers.

6. Good as long as you don't mind being passed over for opportunities because you're not a tribal member.

Former Employee - Finance in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Former Employee - Finance in Mount Pleasant, MI

I worked at Soaring Eagle Casino full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Starting pay and healthcare benefits are great. Everything is the same across the board from the top down.

Cons

It's like working for a dysfunctional family that does not get along. The rules aren't the same for tribal members.

This company will suck out your soul.

Pros

Health Insurance, decent training, other than that you're going to have a hard time finding any pros for this company.

Cons

Lower than average pay, constant turnover at both entry-level and management (including upper management, CEO, etc.), nepotism based off race, no decisiveness in regards to policy, need I go on?

Advice to Management

Start hiring managers and directors that actually know how to run a hotel, and weren't chosen simply because of their last name.

8. Guest Relations Associate

Current Employee - Guest Relations Representative in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Current Employee - Guest Relations Representative in Mount Pleasant, MI

I have been working at Soaring Eagle Casino part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work is not difficult you meet a lot of people. Management supports you 100% in situations and is dedicated to you excelling in the department.

Cons

There is a degree of flexibility, but over the years they grow less flexible around college students. For a part time position they expect you to have evening availability for 5-6 days a week. Are easy to work with if you communicate your issues though.

9. Co-workers were fun to work with

Pros

Pretty good pay for a part time job. Coworkers were easy to get along with. 10 hour shifts were available

Cons

It was a challenge to work night shift and shifts are weird hours. Dealing with crabby customers was only part time so no insurance was offered

Advice to Management

Continue to treat your employees well and in turn they will put forth a good attitude

10. Absolutely flexible with college students and a Joy to work at!

Former Employee - Bell Attendant in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Former Employee - Bell Attendant in Mount Pleasant, MI

I worked at Soaring Eagle Casino part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was pregnant and going to school full time; they were absolutely flexible and allowed employees to change shifts with others, without approval. They gave Holidays off and allowed me to work as much or as little as would work for me

Cons

As with any customer service position, you have to learn to deal with obnoxious and upset customers, especially in a gambling and drinking environment.

Advice to Management

Mark and Dan were my supervisors when I worked as a Bell Attendant. Best Supervisors and people I could ever meet!! It truly makes a difference as to who oversees your job and they always can constructive criticism or appraisal, where needed! I wish I could have stayed working, but after the birth of my son and still in college full time, I had to make the decision to put in my two weeks.

11. Very little room for advancement, with very little morale overall.

Pros

you get a paycheck every other week.

Cons

Very low morale, broken discipline system, treats management like low level employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed