Sobeys Reviews

Reset
3.2
Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin
Marc Poulin

Pros
  • I think flexible hours for me are a pro (in 11 reviews)

• Sobeys has very good benefits for part time employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Our Manager left back in February and we still have no full time Manager and its May (in 8 reviews)

• Lack of communications from head office (in 8 reviews)

1. The worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Deli Employee
    Former Employee - Deli Employee

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

My fellow employees were great, they made the job tolerable.

Cons

Scheduling time off was difficult and my schedule was changed without my knowledge on several occasions so I was woken at 5am by someone asking why I wasn't there even though I had a photo of my schedule - the schedule had the date printed on the bottom of it yet the dept manager would claim I was supposed to be there and that the schedule had been posted like that the whole time. I had to show a photo of the schedule more than once to explain why I hadn't shown up for my changed shift. No apologies, just the expectation that we should be checking the schedule daily because she didn't have time to call everyone to ask them about scheduling changes. The changes made were often not within my availability so why ask for the person't availability if you're not going to use that information? Store manager seemed to have no idea how to run a store, much less each department. I was given very vague instructions many times yet expected to execute the plan he'd envisioned with very little explanation. He would ask for ideas from the staff as a whole then completely ignore them yet suddenly a few weeks later when HO people would come in and ask, if the staff member mentioned the same ideas they were suddenly seen as fantastic and the eployee was thanked profusely for having said idea... Nobody gets full time hours until they've been there for years- some people were there for 10 years before getting full time hours which is ridiculous considering how many people wanted to work full time hours- it would make more sense to me to have less staff per department and give them more hours, resulting in more committed/secure employees. If the store as a whole didn't meet forecasted sales goals hours would be cut across the store in every dept, even the ones that were exceeding their sales goals so there were weeks when I would be scheduled 25ish hours and it would be cut to 16-18 hours even though our dept had done 120% of our sales goals. When HO people were coming to visit the store all of a sudden there would be a demand for staff to work night shifts and make sure everything looked great- that sends the message to me as an employee that there are hours available otherwise they wouldn't pay for people to work the night shift (which has a premium rate) all to impress HO people. It also sends the message that the customers that spend their money every day aren't as important or worthy of the extra effort that goes into having HO visit, poor business management in my opinion considering HO people don't spend any money when they're there. Very impersonal, or at least the store I worked at was that way. Our store manager was useless- he introduced himself and then promised a bunch of things to make our jobs easier to do that he never followed through on. He did nothing to improve staff morale and yet he expected people to want to help the store do well- why would people want to work hard when they're not seeing any sort of bonus for their efforts? The thing that made me leave was when our dept manager was replaced by the store manager's friend and she treated the staff like garbage- expecting us to use the system to the letter when making things like sandwiches yet also expecting 12 hours of work in 6 hours. No mentoring or training as to how one would achieve that level of speed, just berating the staff in front of customers and expecting us to somehow know that all except 2 wraps would sell out before noon the next day even though at the end of the night shift the case was full and there was more product in the fridge to replenish. That being said, if the sheet was followed and product was wasted she would yell about that as well, as if somehow it was the employee's fault. I realize that my issues with the company may seem petty to some but after talking with employees at different locations it's an ongoing theme- very high expectations for very little return and appreciation.

Advice to Management

If you ask your staff for suggestions, follow up with them- the idea may be feasible. Teach your department managers how to schedule properly. Don't allow your department managers to berate your staff - doing so, especially in front of customers, is unacceptable behaviour. Show your staff some appreciation for their efforts. The store manager gets a hefty bonus if the store does well yet most of the staff never see a dime of that even though the store wouldn't do well without them. Manage your expectations- if you need 12 hours of work done then give the staff that any hours to accomplish that work.

2. revew

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pickering, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pickering, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

fun, good atomosphere, easy to work

Cons

very busy long hours standing

Advice to Management

na

Customer service clerk

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk
    Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

I worked at sobeys for about 3 years and the people that I worked with were friendly and great, whenever help was needed it was always given

Cons

There is not much room for growth and unless the management likes you or are friends with you don't expect to be moving up anytime soon.

Advice to Management

Give everyone an opportunity, not just individuals you like. Stop enforcing so many rules working as a customer service clerk shouldn't be that difficult.

5. Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in North Sydney, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in North Sydney, NS (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys part-time

Pros

I always received a fair amount of hours for a part time student over the course of each week, and the pay was reasonable.

Cons

The shifts are long and you usually don't get a decent break (or enough breaks according to labor laws), the mats used to keep you comfortable while standing stationary during a shift were inadequate and essentially useless, and managers were very strict on doing things like stretching or drinking water at your register, which made for unpleasant shifts.

Advice to Management

Increase the amount of breaks per shift (last I checked Canadian labor laws required one fifteen minute break per three hours of work, I work six hour shifts and only receive one break), ensure that breaks are being given at a proper time (not an hour and a half in to your six hour shift), and make sure that employees have everything they need to be comfortable in a position like that (mats, water, a few moments to stretch when needed, etc)

6. Lots of Good Some bad

Current Employee - Supervisor in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys (More than a year)

Pros

they've always worked with me to create a schedule that does not conflict with my other jobs and school

Cons

one of the stores i worked at closed while i was on mat leave and let me go because if it. i was given a very minimal severance and when i was rehired i didn't have to do any retraining but i lost my position, and now have to pay back my severance.

7. Former Employee

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk

I worked at Sobeys (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. Great people to work with. Depending on your location you appointed GM and DM can make all the diff whether the job is enjoyable or a hell dictatorship.

Cons

No real cons that I can think of.

8. Great Company

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk

I have been working at Sobeys

Pros

Stable Employment Great Benefits Great Pension and profit sharing Ample opportunities and Career paths. Fair Wages

Cons

A few Managers are inadequate and slow progress.

Advice to Management

when a manager consistently misses the Mark, and you have received numerous complaints, maybe time to change it up.

9. Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys

Pros

Great company, treated well and appreciated

Cons

Retail shift work but that's just part of the job.

Advice to Management

Pay a higher wage to employees if you are looking to retain people long term

10. Awesome

I have been working at Sobeys

Pros

Great people to work with, they make all days enjoyable to come to work. Great learning experience.

Cons

Low pay for the work that is done that requires a fair bit of knowledge. Long work days.

Advice to Management

Increase pay to summer students and have them all doing more inclusive tasks to feel more as part of the team.

11. Minimum Wage Forever

Current Employee - Foral Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Foral Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys (More than a year)

Pros

Uniform is provided for free.

Cons

Minimum Wage, raises every 1000 hours, very hard to accumulate 1000 hours when given 4 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Pay your part-timers better.

RSS Feed </> Embed