Sobeys

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin

Marc Poulin

Pros
  • friendly environment, flexible hours, clean(in 9 reviews)

• Great team, good work environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • no employee discounts, it would be nice to have a(in 8 reviews)

• Sobeys does not offer enough full-time positions, they avoid hiring(in 6 reviews)

110 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

First Job experience

Deli Clerk (Former Employee)

ProsStaff is nice, clients are nice... was a good first job and gave me skills to deal properly with the public

ConsDifficult to move up and branch out from where you started

Great Employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSobeys has very good benefits for part time employees.

ConsThere is not many education opportunities.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team, good work environment

ConsHours and shifts not too flexible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good canadian company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat working atmosphere, work life balance, progress opportunity

Consnot the best in terms of financial benefits especially in lower positions

The best job I've ever had!

Front End Cashier (Former Employee) Brantford, ON (Canada)

ProsI loved working at Sobeys, and miss it to this day. I was in high school at the time, and the management was very understanding of that. I had a good balance of hours, not too many, not too little. It was ensured that each employee knew the policies as they were updated, so nobody was left in the dark.

ConsIt could be monotonous at times, and since the store I worked at was a 24 hour store, there were a lot of slow nights.

Just ok. Not great, but ok.

A-la Carte (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsFairly good and friendly coworkers in general, not as rushed and stressful as some other similar places (considering that I work in the a-la-carte section; note the work can still be fairly demanding). Pleasant customers and atmosphere.

ConsSurprisingly poor work-life balance, with rapidly changing schedules and often staying over 15 minutes after shifts end. Terrible pay, and to make things worse mandatory unpaid lunch break and break adding up to 45 minutes unpaid time, which is unpaid even if you've worked without the breaks. (word of advice to anyone intending to work at Sobeys: TAKE YOUR BREAKS)
    Since working at Sobeys, my schedule has been hectic and crowded, often having to work 6-7 days a week and being dead tired due to lack of sleep thanks to this... I'd made my availability clear; perhaps I should have made it absolutely clear and stated only a certain set number of days, and a strictly defined schedule. But in the end I end up working on average 6 (not less than 6) days a week, with not enough time for overtime pay, unpaid 45 minutes, and a random schedule that needs to be checked daily and offers no flexibility. Planning to find a new job and quit soon.
    Also, my work hours seem to have been calculated to make me just barely unable to qualify as working full-time, and it seems that this is the same with almost every other coworker I've met; people who have been working here for over 3 years and are not yet doing full-time due to lack of interest by management.
    I've actually had enough and have begun searching for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite what others have said, needs A LOT more work-life balance. As things are it's incredibly difficult to do studies or have a social life whatsoever, and the terrible pay (1 cent over minimum wage), 45 minute mandatory break, and hectic, cluttered work schedule makes this job not worth it in my opinion, for minimum wage.
    I won't specify which location I work at, but I WILL note that the work schedule regularly violates Alberta's laws by changing the schedule without any notice whatsoever, and with less than 24 hours' notice...

Apart from that I'll admit Sobeys as a workplace would be enjoyable. WOULD be. Disregard of work-life balance or even work rights when it comes to scheduling is my biggest grievance, also considering that management knowingly does this and nonetheless expects this to be followed 100%, or else.

Great place to work as a part timer, or just looking for basic work.

Produce Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsSome coworkers are great, and fun to work with. Customers are usually quite happy.

ConsVery minimal raises, basically working for scraps.
    Not very good manager to worker relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to what your employees are saying, don't just assume they're causing problems.
    Don't hold grudges.

Go to school

ProsFlexible schedule, work with good people, Good if your in school to get something better

ConsPoor pay, Hard to move up,

This is a not-so-great workplace environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-amazing and friendly workers
    -learning new skill and growth if you are dedicated yourself in the store

Cons-they're moments that staff can be rude,disrespectful,and lazy
    -they are notorious for being unprofessional towards their workers and customers.
    -business can be boring sometimes
    -This is turn out to be absolutely incompetent and disorganized

cut in hours

Front End Cashier (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsNo transportation costs. Friending customers. Friendly staff.

ConsNon-uniform hourly wage rates for identical jobs. Management lacks insight to hire HR staff that can motivate employees and increase moral. Arbitrary decisions to give more hours to newly hired young employees and reduce experienced, mature, proven responsible employees to less than half-with NO notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as equals. Offer each the care and respect you would want given to yourself.

Worked for Sobeys? Contribute to the Community!