Sobeys

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin

Marc Poulin

Pros
  • friendly environment, flexible hours, clean(in 9 reviews)

• Great team, good work environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • no employee discounts, it would be nice to have a(in 8 reviews)

• Sobeys does not offer enough full-time positions, they avoid hiring(in 6 reviews)

This is a not-so-great workplace environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-amazing and friendly workers
    -learning new skill and growth if you are dedicated yourself in the store

Cons-they're moments that staff can be rude,disrespectful,and lazy
    -they are notorious for being unprofessional towards their workers and customers.
    -business can be boring sometimes
    -This is turn out to be absolutely incompetent and disorganized

cut in hours

Front End Cashier (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsNo transportation costs. Friending customers. Friendly staff.

ConsNon-uniform hourly wage rates for identical jobs. Management lacks insight to hire HR staff that can motivate employees and increase moral. Arbitrary decisions to give more hours to newly hired young employees and reduce experienced, mature, proven responsible employees to less than half-with NO notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as equals. Offer each the care and respect you would want given to yourself.

Overall a pretty good company to work for

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsHuge company
    Good pay
    Flexible schedule

Conssome of the management personals aren't ready to take innitiatives
    no employee discounts

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company. Not enough pay for an adult.

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsThe management gives their employees fair treatment.

ConsLack of Finances. Why do the people who have dedicated their services to this company for so long reach top wage and they never get an increase after 2 years? The company should give their staff of more than 4 years back pay for appreciation of their commitment. Superstore does it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy can't this company have the Real Canadian Superstore's Union? Why can't top wage for a regular/ part time worker be 27 dollars? We also need lead hands when department managers are away.

Needs improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood place to get initial training in retail.
    Management is dedicated to providing excellent customer service.
    You can meet some friendly people here.

ConsNot much training at the start. Also, management needs to be more available and approachable.
    Very low morale in some locations.
    Low team spirit; very cliquish; staff need to work together and make more effort to get along.
    Rules and policies often go out the window, and employees who keep the rules are not respected here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more careful who you hire - will they be honest, hardworking, and good team players?
    Pay more attention to the well-being of your employees. It would make your company more successful.
    Try not to play favorites.

It's all in the management

Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) Portage La Prairie, MB (Canada)

ProsThe pay rate was better than average
    promotions were regular
    the management under the previous private owner was fabulous
    hours were flexible for students

Consno discounts
    no bonuses
    no employee screening process = bad employees and high turnover
    new corporate management is destroying the workplace
    disconnect between the floor management and the office management
    terrible uniforms
    poor execution and regulation of policy
    management played favorites
    generally a chaotic workplace

Advice to Senior ManagementThe store was run much better under the previous management, for the sake of the store develop a better understanding of the floor responsibilities to foster greater clarity and unification between the office and floor employees.

It's a high end grocery store, with high prices, but good customer service.

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood management
    Fun
    Flexible hours for students
    Have made friends with a couple employees,
    Management at my store is out on the floor talking with customers, unloading skids with employees, rather than sitting in their office the whole day.

ConsDepartments like produce, grocery, etc typically work against each other rather than with one another.
    Minimum wage
    Take advantage of some employees and require them to work everyday besides one.
    Our Manager left back in February and we still have no full time Manager and its May.
    Ultimately I don't feel like my work is important.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe introduce some incentive for employees, such as coupons for reduced prices of grocery.

Great first Job I guess....

Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) Kanata, ON (Canada)

Pros- Coworkers make the job a lot better
    - Managers are approachable for almost anything ( they will even take you to grab a coffee and talk about personal issues )
    - Meet some amazing people and take part in fun events

Cons- PAY SUCKS !!! after 3 years I was making a wooping $10.80 as a cashier and $11.80 as a supervisor
    - Higher Management could careless about you , they are cheap !!!
    - Water is NOT FREE unless its from the dirty sink , ( no water fountain or cooler provided )
    - No Discounts

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring more about the front line employees , and provide them with water especially when they are outside on carts for hours , and wage increase should be a lot higher.

Would be a great place to work, if upper management was more appreciative

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

ProsThere were many job opportunities and some chances to move up, good pay if you were a manager/supervisor, and fellow employees were very friendly and hard working.

ConsThe biggest con for me was not being appreciated by upper management. I was a full-time, very hard-working deli supervisor and I was criticized more often than I was praised. Managers would focus on the things we didn't have time to do (even if it was hardly anything at all), instead of letting us know that we did a good job in other aspects of our work. And unless you are a supervisor or manager, don't expect to make much more than minimum wage, regardless of how hard you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees! You work hard and so do we, but we don't hear it nearly often enough. You are less likely to keep your employees around if they feel like you don't care about them - which is one of the main reasons I left.

Overall good, depends on your store.

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) St. Catharines, ON (Canada)

ProsFlexible schedule, well organized in general but that depends on where you work. Hard work is appreciated and rewarded in form of more hours(if one wants) preferred shifts or getting requested time off even when it is busy. We all once got a box of candy for Christmas from the management too. Many friendly and kind people to work with.

ConsEmployees that love to gossip which can poison the relations and the atmosphere of your workplace. There is also some degree of favoritism on behalf of the lower management so if you want to move up, sometimes you don't have to be a good worker, only make sure you are good buddies with your department manager.

Worked for Sobeys? Contribute to the Community!