Sobeys

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin

Marc Poulin

Pros
  • friendly environment, flexible hours, clean(in 9 reviews)

• Great team, good work environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • no employee discounts, it would be nice to have a(in 8 reviews)

• Sobeys does not offer enough full-time positions, they avoid hiring(in 6 reviews)

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall a pretty good company to work for

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsHuge company
    Good pay
    Flexible schedule

Conssome of the management personals aren't ready to take innitiatives
    no employee discounts

Just ok. Not great, but ok.

A-la Carte (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsFairly good and friendly coworkers in general, not as rushed and stressful as some other similar places (considering that I work in the a-la-carte section; note the work can still be fairly demanding). Pleasant customers and atmosphere.

ConsSurprisingly poor work-life balance, with rapidly changing schedules and often staying over 15 minutes after shifts end. Terrible pay, and to make things worse mandatory unpaid lunch break and break adding up to 45 minutes unpaid time, which is unpaid even if you've worked without the breaks. (word of advice to anyone intending to work at Sobeys: TAKE YOUR BREAKS)
    Since working at Sobeys, my schedule has been hectic and crowded, often having to work 6-7 days a week and being dead tired due to lack of sleep thanks to this... I'd made my availability clear; perhaps I should have made it absolutely clear and stated only a certain set number of days, and a strictly defined schedule. But in the end I end up working on average 6 (not less than 6) days a week, with not enough time for overtime pay, unpaid 45 minutes, and a random schedule that needs to be checked daily and offers no flexibility. Planning to find a new job and quit soon.
    Also, my work hours seem to have been calculated to make me just barely unable to qualify as working full-time, and it seems that this is the same with almost every other coworker I've met; people who have been working here for over 3 years and are not yet doing full-time due to lack of interest by management.
    I've actually had enough and have begun searching for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite what others have said, needs A LOT more work-life balance. As things are it's incredibly difficult to do studies or have a social life whatsoever, and the terrible pay (1 cent over minimum wage), 45 minute mandatory break, and hectic, cluttered work schedule makes this job not worth it in my opinion, for minimum wage.
    I won't specify which location I work at, but I WILL note that the work schedule regularly violates Alberta's laws by changing the schedule without any notice whatsoever, and with less than 24 hours' notice...

Apart from that I'll admit Sobeys as a workplace would be enjoyable. WOULD be. Disregard of work-life balance or even work rights when it comes to scheduling is my biggest grievance, also considering that management knowingly does this and nonetheless expects this to be followed 100%, or else.

Great company. Not enough pay for an adult.

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsThe management gives their employees fair treatment.

ConsLack of Finances. Why do the people who have dedicated their services to this company for so long reach top wage and they never get an increase after 2 years? The company should give their staff of more than 4 years back pay for appreciation of their commitment. Superstore does it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy can't this company have the Real Canadian Superstore's Union? Why can't top wage for a regular/ part time worker be 27 dollars? We also need lead hands when department managers are away.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hours range from 15-45 a week, no dedication.

Meat Clerk (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsWell, the people in my department were always friendly, we got along and we worked great. There was no pressure from the Manager, but we all did what was expected and more. It was relaxed.

ConsMy hours were all over the place, one week I'd get 20, then next 11, and then the next 3 I'd get 40-50. I'm part time, so I get that it will vary, but it was all over the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your lower employees are the guys that do the heavy lifting, and supporting them.

Friendly Place to Work

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsThe work was easy to get a hang of. The people were friendly and knew what they were doing. Pay was just enough. I liked working there for the people.

ConsI personally, being part-time, ending up working 35-44 hour weeks. My family lives across the province so to go back home I need a minimum three days to make it worth while. It was hard to even get this much time off.

Fairly friendly

Produce Clerk (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsCoworkers are friendly and has a family feel to it.
    Management is polite towards employees.

ConsCorporate tends to give short notice for audits, then cancels at the last minute.
    Raises are small and only given after 6 months of employment, assuming you got 40 hour weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the raises to good employees and make them more frequent to increase productivity. Offer bonuses to good employees, in order to motivate them, so they feel wanted.

Enjoyed working here...provided lots of opportunity to learn

Retail Accountant (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Prosprovided plenty of opportunities to learn

ConsWas sometimes tedious with similar work schedule every month

More leniency needed

Produce Clerk (Current Employee) Wetaskiwin, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat staff
    Flexible schedule

have alot of fun working there because of the employees

Conslack of training
    Lack of cleanliness for employees
    Overworked

New employees need more training for their job. You cant expect a new employee to execute like a veteran. Sometimes you are twiddling your thumbs waiting for something to do but, more then likly your running around like a chicken with your head cut off

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making the night people feel over worked. more training is needed for the standard you hold your employees at.

no value for good work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Prosgood benefits
    management ignores positive and only focuses on negatives

Consno work-life balance
    very stressful
    no positive feedback on job well done

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should provide positive feedback/constructive criticism rather than negative feedback to its employees.

Great place to work

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsCafeteria, with cheap lunches
    Parking
    Good PCs
    Benefits ok
    Pay ok

ConsNo company car for my level
    No company cell phone for my level

Worked for Sobeys? Contribute to the Community!