Sobeys Reviews

Reset
3.2
Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin
Marc Poulin

Pros
  • I think flexible hours for me are a pro (in 11 reviews)

• Sobeys has very good benefits for part time employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Our Manager left back in February and we still have no full time Manager and its May (in 8 reviews)

• Lack of communications from head office (in 8 reviews)

1. Regional Field inspector

Former Employee - Regional Field Inspector in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Field Inspector in Naples, FL

Pros

Good staff at Regional office. Great close relationship. Good communication with office.

Cons

Traveling wears on you after a while. Traveling especially over weekends needs to be reimbursed per diem not just Monday thru Friday per diem.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the Regional office leaders.

Former Manager

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Sobeys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people at store level. That's about the only pro

Cons

Head office has no stability, hiring district mangers that have no perishable experience, another with more human resource complaints then a store full of employees , another brought in from a company that had the exact opposite type of people management skills. Employees are just numbers. Regular staff lose their jobs but head office staff keep theirs?????

Advice to Management

The sobeys family needs to wake up and clean house of all their corporate dead wood .

3. Grocery Clerk

Pros

Great environment, fun and happy.

Cons

Hard work, need to work hard every day.

5. Cashier

Pros

There is no pros at working at sobeys

Cons

Everything is what's wrong at working here

6. Good

I worked at Sobeys (Less than a year)

Pros

The head office has a friendly team environment and the Mississauga location has a gym and catered lunches which taste delicious. Free food samples are offered every month or so. Also, office sports and holiday events are well supported.

Cons

Advancement from within seems to take a while or happen infrequently at the headquarters level but I am not too sure.

Advice to Management

Focus on motivating employees and truly support and value their ideas. Employee focused companies are most successful from what I have seen.

7. goof first job

I have been working at Sobeys part-time

Pros

-friendly people -all the free popcorn and pop you want -50% off other food items on your shift -cast passes every payday for you and a friend -able to get a raise

Cons

difficulty booking off time -lack of appreciation for employees -managers try to sneak in more shifts for employees to take without telling them (I can only work two shifts during the school year and they tried to put me for five)

Advice to Management

I notice a lot of employees are quitting because of work issues (ie. Availability, conditions, etc.) cineplex just mass hires to replace those spots. Instead of just doing that, the company should look into why everyone is quitting and fix that problem first

8. Night Clerk Crew

Former Employee - Night Crew Clerk in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Night Crew Clerk in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at night were just great to work with (most of departments) They will give you more hours eventually if you ask

Cons

- Night premium is lower than other places; - Starts with minimum wage and doesn't matter if you're a good/great/amazing employee: you won't get more than that for a while; - Not a place to build a career; - No employee discount (but some flyers with expire dates); - Gossip people all over the place - people will eventually talk behind your back; - No cashier open if the store is not 24/7 (You'll have to go somewhere else to buy food if not bringing from home); - High rotation of people which will eventually hit you; you'll end up pretty much working alone with a lot of stuff to do, high expectations from the managers and small spaces for breaks unless you decide to take it yourself and leave some work to do; - Most of people think that someone else (at night) will do the job and usually leave work for the night crew; - Few people working in some departments; if someone gets sick there's no one to replace them; - Companies values are just twisted and almost everything people do/express goes against that; - They will give you more hours of work even if you don't ask for; - Time table is unstable - some weeks you will have the same days-off, others 2 days in a row (or not) or 3 days in a row (or not);

Advice to Management

- Treat the employees better so they don't leave with no notice; - Hire more people to cover sick calls; - Have a cashier open at night at stores that are not 24/7. A lot of employees would buy stuff inside the store instead of leaving to give the money to someone else; - Listening to your employees.

9. Meat Department Review

Former Employee - Meat Cutter
    Former Employee - Meat Cutter

I worked at Sobeys part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consistent work schedule, duties given clearly, especially in the fresh foods departments. Would recommend to any food specialists, especially in meats.

Cons

There has always been doubt from peers as to quality of employment, especially in working as a grocery clerk. However, the meat cutting and prep departments are very well run, and are a rewarding experience.

Advice to Management

When hiring students, encourage them to advance in the store, and branch out to the food preparation departments. They may very well find a great experience.

10. Changes

Pros

Good teams, good benefits, franchising

Cons

Long hours non stop, always changing strategy (maybe a little too often)

Advice to Management

Let things work out before changing strategies

11. Working the sample desk

I worked at Sobeys part-time

Pros

Nice, air-conditioned stores, good selection of products. It is a good place to work if you are entering the grocery business.

Cons

Staff tend to be indifferent but I can't really blame them because working in a grocery store for life isn't the best thing in the world. I was put on the sample desk and then subsequently ignored by my manager which was both good and bad, good because I could loaf around and eat the samples but bad because it was mind-numbingly boring

RSS Feed </> Embed