Sobeys Reviews

Reset
3.2
Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin
Marc Poulin

Pros
  • I think flexible hours for me are a pro (in 11 reviews)

• Sobeys has very good benefits for part time employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Our Manager left back in February and we still have no full time Manager and its May (in 8 reviews)

• Lack of communications from head office (in 8 reviews)

1. Regional Field inspector

Former Employee - Regional Field Inspector in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Field Inspector in Naples, FL

Pros

Good staff at Regional office. Great close relationship. Good communication with office.

Cons

Traveling wears on you after a while. Traveling especially over weekends needs to be reimbursed per diem not just Monday thru Friday per diem.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the Regional office leaders.

Former Manager

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Sobeys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people at store level. That's about the only pro

Cons

Head office has no stability, hiring district mangers that have no perishable experience, another with more human resource complaints then a store full of employees , another brought in from a company that had the exact opposite type of people management skills. Employees are just numbers. Regular staff lose their jobs but head office staff keep theirs?????

Advice to Management

The sobeys family needs to wake up and clean house of all their corporate dead wood .

3. Grocery Clerk

Pros

Great environment, fun and happy.

Cons

Hard work, need to work hard every day.

5. Good

I worked at Sobeys (Less than a year)

Pros

The head office has a friendly team environment and the Mississauga location has a gym and catered lunches which taste delicious. Free food samples are offered every month or so. Also, office sports and holiday events are well supported.

Cons

Advancement from within seems to take a while or happen infrequently at the headquarters level but I am not too sure.

Advice to Management

Focus on motivating employees and truly support and value their ideas. Employee focused companies are most successful from what I have seen.

6. goof first job

I have been working at Sobeys part-time

Pros

-friendly people -all the free popcorn and pop you want -50% off other food items on your shift -cast passes every payday for you and a friend -able to get a raise

Cons

difficulty booking off time -lack of appreciation for employees -managers try to sneak in more shifts for employees to take without telling them (I can only work two shifts during the school year and they tried to put me for five)

Advice to Management

I notice a lot of employees are quitting because of work issues (ie. Availability, conditions, etc.) cineplex just mass hires to replace those spots. Instead of just doing that, the company should look into why everyone is quitting and fix that problem first

7. Night Clerk Crew

Former Employee - Night Crew Clerk in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Night Crew Clerk in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at night were just great to work with (most of departments) They will give you more hours eventually if you ask

Cons

- Night premium is lower than other places; - Starts with minimum wage and doesn't matter if you're a good/great/amazing employee: you won't get more than that for a while; - Not a place to build a career; - No employee discount (but some flyers with expire dates); - Gossip people all over the place - people will eventually talk behind your back; - No cashier open if the store is not 24/7 (You'll have to go somewhere else to buy food if not bringing from home); - High rotation of people which will eventually hit you; you'll end up pretty much working alone with a lot of stuff to do, high expectations from the managers and small spaces for breaks unless you decide to take it yourself and leave some work to do; - Most of people think that someone else (at night) will do the job and usually leave work for the night crew; - Few people working in some departments; if someone gets sick there's no one to replace them; - Companies values are just twisted and almost everything people do/express goes against that; - They will give you more hours of work even if you don't ask for; - Time table is unstable - some weeks you will have the same days-off, others 2 days in a row (or not) or 3 days in a row (or not);

Advice to Management

- Treat the employees better so they don't leave with no notice; - Hire more people to cover sick calls; - Have a cashier open at night at stores that are not 24/7. A lot of employees would buy stuff inside the store instead of leaving to give the money to someone else; - Listening to your employees.

8. Meat Department Review

Former Employee - Meat Cutter
    Former Employee - Meat Cutter

I worked at Sobeys part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consistent work schedule, duties given clearly, especially in the fresh foods departments. Would recommend to any food specialists, especially in meats.

Cons

There has always been doubt from peers as to quality of employment, especially in working as a grocery clerk. However, the meat cutting and prep departments are very well run, and are a rewarding experience.

Advice to Management

When hiring students, encourage them to advance in the store, and branch out to the food preparation departments. They may very well find a great experience.

9. Changes

Pros

Good teams, good benefits, franchising

Cons

Long hours non stop, always changing strategy (maybe a little too often)

Advice to Management

Let things work out before changing strategies

10. Working the sample desk

I worked at Sobeys part-time

Pros

Nice, air-conditioned stores, good selection of products. It is a good place to work if you are entering the grocery business.

Cons

Staff tend to be indifferent but I can't really blame them because working in a grocery store for life isn't the best thing in the world. I was put on the sample desk and then subsequently ignored by my manager which was both good and bad, good because I could loaf around and eat the samples but bad because it was mind-numbingly boring

The worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Deli Employee
    Former Employee - Deli Employee

Pros

My fellow employees were great, they made the job tolerable.

Cons

Scheduling time off was difficult and my schedule was changed without my knowledge on several occasions so I was woken at 5am by someone asking why I wasn't there even though I had a photo of my schedule - the schedule had the date printed on the bottom of it yet the dept manager would claim I was supposed to be there and that the schedule had been posted like that the whole time. I had to show a photo of the schedule more than once to explain why I hadn't shown up for my changed shift. No apologies, just the expectation that we should be checking the schedule daily because she didn't have time to call everyone to ask them about scheduling changes. The changes made were often not within my availability so why ask for the person't availability if you're not going to use that information? Store manager seemed to have no idea how to run a store, much less each department. I was given very vague instructions many times yet expected to execute the plan he'd envisioned with very little explanation. He would ask for ideas from the staff as a whole then completely ignore them yet suddenly a few weeks later when HO people would come in and ask, if the staff member mentioned the same ideas they were suddenly seen as fantastic and the eployee was thanked profusely for having said idea... Nobody gets full time hours until they've been there for years- some people were there for 10 years before getting full time hours which is ridiculous considering how many people wanted to work full time hours- it would make more sense to me to have less staff per department and give them more hours, resulting in more committed/secure employees. If the store as a whole didn't meet forecasted sales goals hours would be cut across the store in every dept, even the ones that were exceeding their sales goals so there were weeks when I would be scheduled 25ish hours and it would be cut to 16-18 hours even though our dept had done 120% of our sales goals. When HO people were coming to visit the store all of a sudden there would be a demand for staff to work night shifts and make sure everything looked great- that sends the message to me as an employee that there are hours available otherwise they wouldn't pay for people to work the night shift (which has a premium rate) all to impress HO people. It also sends the message that the customers that spend their money every day aren't as important or worthy of the extra effort that goes into having HO visit, poor business management in my opinion considering HO people don't spend any money when they're there. Very impersonal, or at least the store I worked at was that way. Our store manager was useless- he introduced himself and then promised a bunch of things to make our jobs easier to do that he never followed through on. He did nothing to improve staff morale and yet he expected people to want to help the store do well- why would people want to work hard when they're not seeing any sort of bonus for their efforts? The thing that made me leave was when our dept manager was replaced by the store manager's friend and she treated the staff like garbage- expecting us to use the system to the letter when making things like sandwiches yet also expecting 12 hours of work in 6 hours. No mentoring or training as to how one would achieve that level of speed, just berating the staff in front of customers and expecting us to somehow know that all except 2 wraps would sell out before noon the next day even though at the end of the night shift the case was full and there was more product in the fridge to replenish. That being said, if the sheet was followed and product was wasted she would yell about that as well, as if somehow it was the employee's fault. I realize that my issues with the company may seem petty to some but after talking with employees at different locations it's an ongoing theme- very high expectations for very little return and appreciation.

Advice to Management

If you ask your staff for suggestions, follow up with them- the idea may be feasible. Teach your department managers how to schedule properly. Don't allow your department managers to berate your staff - doing so, especially in front of customers, is unacceptable behaviour. Show your staff some appreciation for their efforts. The store manager gets a hefty bonus if the store does well yet most of the staff never see a dime of that even though the store wouldn't do well without them. Manage your expectations- if you need 12 hours of work done then give the staff that any hours to accomplish that work.

RSS Feed </> Embed