Sobeys Reviews

Updated August 7, 2014

3.3

Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin
Marc Poulin

Pros
  • friendly environment, flexible hours, clean (in 9 reviews)

• Great team, good work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • no employee discounts, it would be nice to have a (in 8 reviews)

• Sobeys does not offer enough full-time positions, they avoid hiring (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

I have been working at Sobeys full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits and salary great coworkers

Cons

Too much red tape day to day.

Former Manager

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Sobeys full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people at store level. That's about the only pro

Cons

Head office has no stability, hiring district mangers that have no perishable experience, another with more human resource complaints then a store full of employees , another brought in from a company that had the exact opposite type of people management skills. Employees are just numbers. Regular staff lose their jobs but head office staff keep theirs?????

The sobeys family needs to wake up and clean house of all their corporate dead wood .

An excellent student job.

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time for less than a year

Pros

As a student, this job couldn't be much more idealistic. During the 10 month long school year, I'm able to squeeze in about 12-15 hours per week, and these hours are very flexible. At $10 per hour, and no bills to pay, it's a pretty sick deal. Because I am still a student, I was hired on a what they call a "courtesy clerk." While this position consists primarily of grocery bagging and cart-collecting, we do get opportunities for other things as well, like helping out in the other departments. I feel this is really great as it provides you the opportunity to have a little taste of everything that there is to do in the store. On top of this, Sobeys is very environmentally friendly, as well as values locally produced goods, as I'm sure we all appreciate. Just to re-cap:
    -Flexible hours
    -Average $550/month
    -Career opportunities
    -Environmentally friendly
    -Encourages buying locally produced goods

Cons

At Sobeys, we are required to work 1000 hours before we receive a $1 raise. If you work 30 hours per week all year long, this can be accomplished within a year. However most students (myself included) won't exceed 15 hours in a school week. This, in combination with 30 hour weeks during the summer only equates to 840 hours. Personally, I understand it taking anywhere from 12-18 months to see my first raise. Others, however, might find it slightly discouraging to have to wait so long. The only other thing I could really think of is the constant hiring on of new employees. This is probably the only aspect of working here that really perturbs me. It's like a whole new set of faces every week I'm in. Now, I'm not against meeting some new people, but this is overkill. When they hire on as many employees as they do, and refuse to put people on for full-time, they are forced to cut people's hours. So instead of being able to reach my 30 hours per week, I normally end up seeing about 20-24 of these hours. Just to re-cap:
    -Lots of time required to see a raise
    -Hours cut frequently due to constant employment of new staff

The only sincere complaint I have is my hours being cut so much due to the constant hiring on of new staff. Other than that, everything is going pretty well. Thanks for reading this.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

First Job experience

Former Employee - Deli Clerk
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk

I worked at Sobeys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff is nice, clients are nice... was a good first job and gave me skills to deal properly with the public

Cons

Difficult to move up and branch out from where you started

Great Employer

I worked at Sobeys part-time

Pros

Sobeys has very good benefits for part time employees.

Cons

There is not many education opportunities.

Good

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

Great team, good work environment

Cons

Hours and shifts not too flexible.

good canadian company

I worked at Sobeys full-time

Pros

great working atmosphere, work life balance, progress opportunity

Cons

not the best in terms of financial benefits especially in lower positions

The best job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Brantford, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Brantford, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working at Sobeys, and miss it to this day. I was in high school at the time, and the management was very understanding of that. I had a good balance of hours, not too many, not too little. It was ensured that each employee knew the policies as they were updated, so nobody was left in the dark.

Cons

It could be monotonous at times, and since the store I worked at was a 24 hour store, there were a lot of slow nights.

Corporate Marketing is a great place to begin and /or grow your career!

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

The opportunities for career advancement and personal growth are literally endless.Whether you are aspiring to work in the retail store environment or in one of the corporate offices across Canada, Sobeys offers exciting roles and tons of personal/ career support along the way.

Cons

Like any similar large-sized company, red tape and politics sometimes get in the way if doing things better. Making any kind of worthwhile changes to existing organizational processes and management's thinking is difficult (although not impossible).

Need to formalize the HR retention and succession planning process to support and keep good quality and innovative people in it's retail stores as well as in its corporate offices. For lack of better words, Sobeys must turn into a more progressive Canadian company leading in the areas of its various people practices.

Just ok. Not great, but ok.

Current Employee - A-la Carte  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - A-la Carte in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly good and friendly coworkers in general, not as rushed and stressful as some other similar places (considering that I work in the a-la-carte section; note the work can still be fairly demanding). Pleasant customers and atmosphere.

Cons

Surprisingly poor work-life balance, with rapidly changing schedules and often staying over 15 minutes after shifts end. Terrible pay, and to make things worse mandatory unpaid lunch break and break adding up to 45 minutes unpaid time, which is unpaid even if you've worked without the breaks. (word of advice to anyone intending to work at Sobeys: TAKE YOUR BREAKS)
    Since working at Sobeys, my schedule has been hectic and crowded, often having to work 6-7 days a week and being dead tired due to lack of sleep thanks to this... I'd made my availability clear; perhaps I should have made it absolutely clear and stated only a certain set number of days, and a strictly defined schedule. But in the end I end up working on average 6 (not less than 6) days a week, with not enough time for overtime pay, unpaid 45 minutes, and a random schedule that needs to be checked daily and offers no flexibility. Planning to find a new job and quit soon.
    Also, my work hours seem to have been calculated to make me just barely unable to qualify as working full-time, and it seems that this is the same with almost every other coworker I've met; people who have been working here for over 3 years and are not yet doing full-time due to lack of interest by management.
    I've actually had enough and have begun searching for another job.

Despite what others have said, needs A LOT more work-life balance. As things are it's incredibly difficult to do studies or have a social life whatsoever, and the terrible pay (1 cent over minimum wage), 45 minute mandatory break, and hectic, cluttered work schedule makes this job not worth it in my opinion, for minimum wage.
    I won't specify which location I work at, but I WILL note that the work schedule regularly violates Alberta's laws by changing the schedule without any notice whatsoever, and with less than 24 hours' notice...

Apart from that I'll admit Sobeys as a workplace would be enjoyable. WOULD be. Disregard of work-life balance or even work rights when it comes to scheduling is my biggest grievance, also considering that management knowingly does this and nonetheless expects this to be followed 100%, or else.

Worked for Sobeys? Contribute to the Community!