Sobeys

Updated December 13, 2014
3.2

Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin
Marc Poulin

Pros
  • friendly environment, flexible hours, clean (in 11 reviews)

• A very well paying part time job if you're okay with the physical labour as it can get tough (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Our Manager left back in February and we still have no full time Manager and its May (in 8 reviews)

• Since head office is in Atlantic Canada, that's where big decisions are made (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Team, boring job

Former Employee - Customer Service Desk - Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Desk - Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent co workers
    Excellent manager and direct team
    Laid back and comfortable environment
    Sensible Policies
    Decent pay
    Great opportunity for young and new workers

Cons

Upper management a boys club of very corporate people who promote their personal friends and don't do any work
    many customers downright nasty at times, often trying to weasle their way into getting free stuff using policies and ad laws that we knew better.
    problems with theft and quick change artists trying to find new or stressed cashiers to victimize
    mind numbingly boring

Pay raises and promotions need to be less stingy. Have heard of people being shorted vacation pay or overtime. Upper management needs to actually work, a store manager only being there once a week but getting paid salary is not ok.

Great company culture.

I have been working at Sobeys

Pros

Very fair company, with great processes, and good values. They also spend time to train their employees, and recognize long term employees.

Cons

Since head office is in Atlantic Canada, that's where big decisions are made. This however is changing, as they have made acquisitions in order to have a greater presence throughout the country.

The best job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Brantford, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Brantford, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working at Sobeys, and miss it to this day. I was in high school at the time, and the management was very understanding of that. I had a good balance of hours, not too many, not too little. It was ensured that each employee knew the policies as they were updated, so nobody was left in the dark.

Cons

It could be monotonous at times, and since the store I worked at was a 24 hour store, there were a lot of slow nights.

Corporate Marketing is a great place to begin and /or grow your career!

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

The opportunities for career advancement and personal growth are literally endless.Whether you are aspiring to work in the retail store environment or in one of the corporate offices across Canada, Sobeys offers exciting roles and tons of personal/ career support along the way.

Cons

Like any similar large-sized company, red tape and politics sometimes get in the way if doing things better. Making any kind of worthwhile changes to existing organizational processes and management's thinking is difficult (although not impossible).

Need to formalize the HR retention and succession planning process to support and keep good quality and innovative people in it's retail stores as well as in its corporate offices. For lack of better words, Sobeys must turn into a more progressive Canadian company leading in the areas of its various people practices.

Front end (everything), floral, catalog

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities, was able to move around in different departments

Cons

not paid enough to deal with old customers. not treated with respect from customers.

Strong Company with a Great History!

Current Employee - Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is constantly striving to improve. The number of exciting developments even within the past year show that the company continues to push the envelope.

Other points:
    - The company give career growth opportunities to employees (including myself) even when they know that the person would need to develop more in a few areas before performing at peak levels
    - I work with a fun team which works towards a common goal
    - Friendly, respectful atmosphere
    - Strong management (within my department)
    - Strong core values

Cons

- Communication from managers to teams is not strong across all teams which seems to lead to situations where not all people in a meeting start with the same knowledge
    - There seem to be pockets of employees that are not totally engaged which downgrades the work experience of others around them

Be more aggressive in letting the world know about the great things the company has done. There are many leading edge initiatives that have been launched through the company's history that did not get "boasted" about to those that do not follow the industry.

Clerk

I have been working at Sobeys

Pros

it was very very fun.

Cons

it was lots of hard work.

My experience was enjoyable with many friendly co-workers.

I worked at Sobeys as an intern

Pros

Some pros to this company are their positive environment, great facilities, flexibility of work hours and employee benefits.

Cons

There were very few downsides to the job at Sobeys, but one that stuck out was the difficulty of getting the job in the first place. Seems like you would need to know someone to get the job.

very good

Current Employee - Cashier/Supervisor in Dartmouth, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Supervisor in Dartmouth, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the company has excellent health plan that not only full time but part time employees can benifit from as well. The hours are good and the coworkers are helpful. We all work as a team in conjunction with each other

Cons

I have yet to find any at this time.

keep up the good work

great job

Former Employee - Sanitary Engineer in Bathurst, NB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sanitary Engineer in Bathurst, NB (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good colleages, nice to work with people, some friendly staff good training enjoyable enviornment great hours

Cons

I liked every aspect of this job my boss was great and it was a good job

none