Sobeys Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
3.2

Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin
Marc Poulin

Pros
  • friendly environment, flexible hours, clean (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, work with good people, Good if your in school to get something better (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Sobeys does not offer enough full-time positions, they avoid hiring (in 8 reviews)

• no employee discounts, it would be nice to have a (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent student job

Current Employee - Cashier in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work here are the flexibility that this company provides with respect to hours, time off, and so on

Cons

Some of the many cons to working here are the very low pay, hours being cut often completely without warning, mistreatment from customers, coworkers, and management alike, among other things

Some advice that I would give to the management would be to stop treating young employees as disposable and to understand that many customers are being deceitful in their slandering of employees

Just ok. Not great, but ok.

Current Employee - A-la Carte in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - A-la Carte in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly good and friendly coworkers in general, not as rushed and stressful as some other similar places (considering that I work in the a-la-carte section; note the work can still be fairly demanding). Pleasant customers and atmosphere.

Cons

Surprisingly poor work-life balance, with rapidly changing schedules and often staying over 15 minutes after shifts end. Terrible pay, and to make things worse mandatory unpaid lunch break and break adding up to 45 minutes unpaid time, which is unpaid even if you've worked without the breaks. (word of advice to anyone intending to work at Sobeys: TAKE YOUR BREAKS)
    Since working at Sobeys, my schedule has been hectic and crowded, often having to work 6-7 days a week and being dead tired due to lack of sleep thanks to this... I'd made my availability clear; perhaps I should have made it absolutely clear and stated only a certain set number of days, and a strictly defined schedule. But in the end I end up working on average 6 (not less than 6) days a week, with not enough time for overtime pay, unpaid 45 minutes, and a random schedule that needs to be checked daily and offers no flexibility. Planning to find a new job and quit soon.
    Also, my work hours seem to have been calculated to make me just barely unable to qualify as working full-time, and it seems that this is the same with almost every other coworker I've met; people who have been working here for over 3 years and are not yet doing full-time due to lack of interest by management.
    I've actually had enough and have begun searching for another job.

Despite what others have said, needs A LOT more work-life balance. As things are it's incredibly difficult to do studies or have a social life whatsoever, and the terrible pay (1 cent over minimum wage), 45 minute mandatory break, and hectic, cluttered work schedule makes this job not worth it in my opinion, for minimum wage.
    I won't specify which location I work at, but I WILL note that the work schedule regularly violates Alberta's laws by changing the schedule without any notice whatsoever, and with less than 24 hours' notice...

Apart from that I'll admit Sobeys as a workplace would be enjoyable. WOULD be. Disregard of work-life balance or even work rights when it comes to scheduling is my biggest grievance, also considering that management knowingly does this and nonetheless expects this to be followed 100%, or else.

Former Manager

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Sobeys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people at store level. That's about the only pro

Cons

Head office has no stability, hiring district mangers that have no perishable experience, another with more human resource complaints then a store full of employees , another brought in from a company that had the exact opposite type of people management skills. Employees are just numbers. Regular staff lose their jobs but head office staff keep theirs?????

The sobeys family needs to wake up and clean house of all their corporate dead wood .

Needs improvement

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

Good place to get initial training in retail.
    Management is dedicated to providing excellent customer service.
    You can meet some friendly people here.

Cons

Not much training at the start. Also, management needs to be more available and approachable.
    Very low morale in some locations.
    Low team spirit; very cliquish; staff need to work together and make more effort to get along.
    Rules and policies often go out the window, and employees who keep the rules are not respected here.

Be more careful who you hire - will they be honest, hardworking, and good team players?
    Pay more attention to the well-being of your employees. It would make your company more successful.
    Try not to play favorites.

Directors..... What Directors ?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location and lower level managers seem to stick together in solidarity which is nice.

Cons

Its common practice now to just hire friends and friends of the family. OR people that reported to you at a previous company.
    Management doesn't take accountability and rely on lower level employees to make their decisions for them.

Don't take all the credit for your teams work.
    Treat your employees with respect.

OK if you are young and energetic and fit in well with the crowd.

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

They hire young people fresh out of high school and college. Good for getting people into the work force or back into it. They train on-the-job and you might get promoted to shift supervisor, cash office, or something else. A lot of decent people work for Sobeys so you might find some friends too.

Cons

Lack of organization; high turnover of staff; lack of consistency with policies and personnel. Lack of teamwork and fair treatment. Takes excellence in customer service a little too far, letting customers become abusive.

Please create more genuine openness, and foster a safer environment physically and psychologically. Treat others as you would want to be treated if you were in their shoes.

Over the years have become very stressful...not a happy worker

Current Employee - Hard Worker in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Hard Worker in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Became friends with other employees that now helps the shift go by faster.
    The customers help the store environment.
    Convenient when I need to buy groceries after work.

Cons

No room for full time. Even when you apply and are told full time is available have the interview more then 1 position and still no full time hiring happens.
    Hand book rules changing all the time.
    Hours cut while watching other employees from other store being transferred to your dept. NOT COOL
    These are just a few things....

Fallow through with what you say you will do after speaking to your employees.

Toxic, hostile, poisoned but"should feel lucky to have a job" *sarcasm*

Current Employee - General Warehouse in Milton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - General Warehouse in Milton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wages, that's about it there.

Cons

Poisoned and toxic. Micro managed to death.
    Chilled warehouse (as cold as -28)
    Union there does nothing for the workers, except yield to the company at every opportunity.

Instead of using most of your efforts into making it a hostile place to work, exert that effort into making it better and appreciating the people that make your profits possible.

Do not work for sobey's

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Sobeys part-time

Pros

- there are absolutely no pro's.

Cons

- No employee discount
    - Horribly ugly uniform
    - When you buy something on your break, you are required to have a receipt with you at all times, to me this means that they do not trust their employees.
    - Absolutely no benefits at all
    - Rude management

There should be some kind of employee discount, and more benefits of being a Sobey's employee, this may be the reason why employees lack motivation and steal so much from the company. The uniforms are way too formal. Black dress pants,white dress shirt and an apron? wtf seriously??

Good only if you are on managements special side

Current Employee - Grocery Assistant in Rothesay, NB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Grocery Assistant in Rothesay, NB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The wages are competitive and it is hard to find anything better without a degree or trade. You can easily make new friends with coworkers.

Cons

Management is not positive enough. They are overly critical towards their night crew. The night guys are the hardest physical workers in store and they often keep expecting more than what is humanly possible. They need to give more hours to do the job and maybe offer more reward incentive when doing a good job. It is hard to keep great workers when they don't feel positively engaged. High levels of stress are felt too frequently.

Have some sort of appreciation events/opportunities for over night workers who are unable to attend any similar events during the daytime. Working over night is very hard and it is discouraging to not feel as appreciated within the organisation.