Sobeys Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.3

Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin
Marc Poulin

Pros
  • friendly environment, flexible hours, clean (in 10 reviews)

• Sobeys has very good benefits for part time employees (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sobeys does not offer enough full-time positions, they avoid hiring (in 8 reviews)

• no employee discounts, it would be nice to have a (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

Great team, good work environment

Cons

Hours and shifts not too flexible.

good canadian company

I worked at Sobeys full-time

Pros

great working atmosphere, work life balance, progress opportunity

Cons

not the best in terms of financial benefits especially in lower positions

The best job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Brantford, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Brantford, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working at Sobeys, and miss it to this day. I was in high school at the time, and the management was very understanding of that. I had a good balance of hours, not too many, not too little. It was ensured that each employee knew the policies as they were updated, so nobody was left in the dark.

Cons

It could be monotonous at times, and since the store I worked at was a 24 hour store, there were a lot of slow nights.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just ok. Not great, but ok.

Current Employee - A-la Carte  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - A-la Carte in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly good and friendly coworkers in general, not as rushed and stressful as some other similar places (considering that I work in the a-la-carte section; note the work can still be fairly demanding). Pleasant customers and atmosphere.

Cons

Surprisingly poor work-life balance, with rapidly changing schedules and often staying over 15 minutes after shifts end. Terrible pay, and to make things worse mandatory unpaid lunch break and break adding up to 45 minutes unpaid time, which is unpaid even if you've worked without the breaks. (word of advice to anyone intending to work at Sobeys: TAKE YOUR BREAKS)
    Since working at Sobeys, my schedule has been hectic and crowded, often having to work 6-7 days a week and being dead tired due to lack of sleep thanks to this... I'd made my availability clear; perhaps I should have made it absolutely clear and stated only a certain set number of days, and a strictly defined schedule. But in the end I end up working on average 6 (not less than 6) days a week, with not enough time for overtime pay, unpaid 45 minutes, and a random schedule that needs to be checked daily and offers no flexibility. Planning to find a new job and quit soon.
    Also, my work hours seem to have been calculated to make me just barely unable to qualify as working full-time, and it seems that this is the same with almost every other coworker I've met; people who have been working here for over 3 years and are not yet doing full-time due to lack of interest by management.
    I've actually had enough and have begun searching for another job.

Despite what others have said, needs A LOT more work-life balance. As things are it's incredibly difficult to do studies or have a social life whatsoever, and the terrible pay (1 cent over minimum wage), 45 minute mandatory break, and hectic, cluttered work schedule makes this job not worth it in my opinion, for minimum wage.
    I won't specify which location I work at, but I WILL note that the work schedule regularly violates Alberta's laws by changing the schedule without any notice whatsoever, and with less than 24 hours' notice...

Apart from that I'll admit Sobeys as a workplace would be enjoyable. WOULD be. Disregard of work-life balance or even work rights when it comes to scheduling is my biggest grievance, also considering that management knowingly does this and nonetheless expects this to be followed 100%, or else.

Go to school

I have been working at Sobeys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, work with good people, Good if your in school to get something better

Cons

Poor pay, Hard to move up,

Great place to work as a part timer, or just looking for basic work.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk

I have been working at Sobeys part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some coworkers are great, and fun to work with. Customers are usually quite happy.

Cons

Very minimal raises, basically working for scraps.
    Not very good manager to worker relationships.

Actually listen to what your employees are saying, don't just assume they're causing problems.
    Don't hold grudges.

This is a not-so-great workplace environment

I worked at Sobeys for less than a year

Pros

-amazing and friendly workers
    -learning new skill and growth if you are dedicated yourself in the store

Cons

-they're moments that staff can be rude,disrespectful,and lazy
    -they are notorious for being unprofessional towards their workers and customers.
    -business can be boring sometimes
    -This is turn out to be absolutely incompetent and disorganized

cut in hours

Current Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time for more than a year

Pros

No transportation costs. Friending customers. Friendly staff.

Cons

Non-uniform hourly wage rates for identical jobs. Management lacks insight to hire HR staff that can motivate employees and increase moral. Arbitrary decisions to give more hours to newly hired young employees and reduce experienced, mature, proven responsible employees to less than half-with NO notice.

Treat your employees as equals. Offer each the care and respect you would want given to yourself.

Corporate Marketing is a great place to begin and /or grow your career!

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

The opportunities for career advancement and personal growth are literally endless.Whether you are aspiring to work in the retail store environment or in one of the corporate offices across Canada, Sobeys offers exciting roles and tons of personal/ career support along the way.

Cons

Like any similar large-sized company, red tape and politics sometimes get in the way if doing things better. Making any kind of worthwhile changes to existing organizational processes and management's thinking is difficult (although not impossible).

Need to formalize the HR retention and succession planning process to support and keep good quality and innovative people in it's retail stores as well as in its corporate offices. For lack of better words, Sobeys must turn into a more progressive Canadian company leading in the areas of its various people practices.

Overall a pretty good company to work for

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time for less than a year

Pros

Huge company
    Good pay
    Flexible schedule

Cons

some of the management personals aren't ready to take innitiatives
    no employee discounts

Worked for Sobeys? Contribute to the Community!