Sobeys Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.2

Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin
Marc Poulin

Pros
  • friendly environment, flexible hours, clean (in 10 reviews)

• A very well paying part time job if you're okay with the physical labour as it can get tough (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Sobeys does not offer enough full-time positions, they avoid hiring (in 8 reviews)

• no employee discounts, it would be nice to have a (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Corporate Marketing is a great place to begin and /or grow your career!

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

The opportunities for career advancement and personal growth are literally endless.Whether you are aspiring to work in the retail store environment or in one of the corporate offices across Canada, Sobeys offers exciting roles and tons of personal/ career support along the way.

Cons

Like any similar large-sized company, red tape and politics sometimes get in the way if doing things better. Making any kind of worthwhile changes to existing organizational processes and management's thinking is difficult (although not impossible).

Need to formalize the HR retention and succession planning process to support and keep good quality and innovative people in it's retail stores as well as in its corporate offices. For lack of better words, Sobeys must turn into a more progressive Canadian company leading in the areas of its various people practices.

Just ok. Not great, but ok.

Current Employee - A-la Carte in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - A-la Carte in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly good and friendly coworkers in general, not as rushed and stressful as some other similar places (considering that I work in the a-la-carte section; note the work can still be fairly demanding). Pleasant customers and atmosphere.

Cons

Surprisingly poor work-life balance, with rapidly changing schedules and often staying over 15 minutes after shifts end. Terrible pay, and to make things worse mandatory unpaid lunch break and break adding up to 45 minutes unpaid time, which is unpaid even if you've worked without the breaks. (word of advice to anyone intending to work at Sobeys: TAKE YOUR BREAKS)
    Since working at Sobeys, my schedule has been hectic and crowded, often having to work 6-7 days a week and being dead tired due to lack of sleep thanks to this... I'd made my availability clear; perhaps I should have made it absolutely clear and stated only a certain set number of days, and a strictly defined schedule. But in the end I end up working on average 6 (not less than 6) days a week, with not enough time for overtime pay, unpaid 45 minutes, and a random schedule that needs to be checked daily and offers no flexibility. Planning to find a new job and quit soon.
    Also, my work hours seem to have been calculated to make me just barely unable to qualify as working full-time, and it seems that this is the same with almost every other coworker I've met; people who have been working here for over 3 years and are not yet doing full-time due to lack of interest by management.
    I've actually had enough and have begun searching for another job.

Despite what others have said, needs A LOT more work-life balance. As things are it's incredibly difficult to do studies or have a social life whatsoever, and the terrible pay (1 cent over minimum wage), 45 minute mandatory break, and hectic, cluttered work schedule makes this job not worth it in my opinion, for minimum wage.
    I won't specify which location I work at, but I WILL note that the work schedule regularly violates Alberta's laws by changing the schedule without any notice whatsoever, and with less than 24 hours' notice...

Apart from that I'll admit Sobeys as a workplace would be enjoyable. WOULD be. Disregard of work-life balance or even work rights when it comes to scheduling is my biggest grievance, also considering that management knowingly does this and nonetheless expects this to be followed 100%, or else.

Go to school

I have been working at Sobeys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, work with good people, Good if your in school to get something better

Cons

Poor pay, Hard to move up,

Great place to work as a part timer, or just looking for basic work.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk

I have been working at Sobeys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some coworkers are great, and fun to work with. Customers are usually quite happy.

Cons

Very minimal raises, basically working for scraps.
    Not very good manager to worker relationships.

Actually listen to what your employees are saying, don't just assume they're causing problems.
    Don't hold grudges.

This is a not-so-great workplace environment

I worked at Sobeys (less than an year)

Pros

-amazing and friendly workers
    -learning new skill and growth if you are dedicated yourself in the store

Cons

-they're moments that staff can be rude,disrespectful,and lazy
    -they are notorious for being unprofessional towards their workers and customers.
    -business can be boring sometimes
    -This is turn out to be absolutely incompetent and disorganized

cut in hours

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

No transportation costs. Friending customers. Friendly staff.

Cons

Non-uniform hourly wage rates for identical jobs. Management lacks insight to hire HR staff that can motivate employees and increase moral. Arbitrary decisions to give more hours to newly hired young employees and reduce experienced, mature, proven responsible employees to less than half-with NO notice.

Treat your employees as equals. Offer each the care and respect you would want given to yourself.

Overall a pretty good company to work for

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Huge company
    Good pay
    Flexible schedule

Cons

some of the management personals aren't ready to take innitiatives
    no employee discounts

Great company. Not enough pay for an adult.

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management gives their employees fair treatment.

Cons

Lack of Finances. Why do the people who have dedicated their services to this company for so long reach top wage and they never get an increase after 2 years? The company should give their staff of more than 4 years back pay for appreciation of their commitment. Superstore does it.

Why can't this company have the Real Canadian Superstore's Union? Why can't top wage for a regular/ part time worker be 27 dollars? We also need lead hands when department managers are away.

Needs improvement

I worked at Sobeys

Pros

Good place to get initial training in retail.
    Management is dedicated to providing excellent customer service.
    You can meet some friendly people here.

Cons

Not much training at the start. Also, management needs to be more available and approachable.
    Very low morale in some locations.
    Low team spirit; very cliquish; staff need to work together and make more effort to get along.
    Rules and policies often go out the window, and employees who keep the rules are not respected here.

Be more careful who you hire - will they be honest, hardworking, and good team players?
    Pay more attention to the well-being of your employees. It would make your company more successful.
    Try not to play favorites.

It's all in the management

Former Employee - Cashier/Supervisor in Portage La Prairie, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Supervisor in Portage La Prairie, MB (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay rate was better than average
    promotions were regular
    the management under the previous private owner was fabulous
    hours were flexible for students

Cons

no discounts
    no bonuses
    no employee screening process = bad employees and high turnover
    new corporate management is destroying the workplace
    disconnect between the floor management and the office management
    terrible uniforms
    poor execution and regulation of policy
    management played favorites
    generally a chaotic workplace

The store was run much better under the previous management, for the sake of the store develop a better understanding of the floor responsibilities to foster greater clarity and unification between the office and floor employees.